Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: I can now see the Party network falling to 2nd or 3rd place

If you are talking long-term (five years+) then maybe. It is a young and dynamic industry, that is destined to have some twists and turns as it matures.

In the short term however you are wrong. So far the only people who have been alienated have been some people (I include myself in this) who are reciepients of a quasi-legal kickback scheme. And a group of people who proudly refer to themselevs as "whores".

Your average recreational player is not effected by this. He just knows that on Party he does not have to wait for a game.

I do think Party is doing a terrible PR job with these situations. But the bottom line is, as long as they keep some reasonably beatable games they will still get more then their fair share of my monthly hand quota.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerListings.com used to rate Party a "10" for easy to beat games... now they are a "7" with other rooms ahead of them in fishiness... I dont know their motivation or system for ranking is, but its in line both from my personal experience, and the experiences of others I've read on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked at their rankings, and I think their "softness" ratings are pretty screwy. Maybe times chance, but 40-50% flops at PokerRoom? Rarely, even at low limits like 2/4 and 1/2.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:13 PM

The 5/10 full game on Pokerroom frequently runs at 35%-38% VPIP. This is partially due to the fact that the SB is $2.50 as opposed to $2 on most sites.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:29 PM

It's a young business, and Party is about as invulnerable today as Paradise was a few years ago. A clever new company with a decent starting amount can eat them alive with good marketing.

There is room for a company with 10-15% of Party's profit margin. Think Absolute+good software+heavy marketing+even more bonuses, kickbacks, freerolls etc.

And as most of us do live in a (decently) free market there is just no way anyone can maintain a profit a magnitude greater than the operating costs.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:34 PM

i dont think the fish are having their accounts closed. come on, the sites must know we;re whoring them, empire just got sick of it and closed the whores accounts. why would the fish care about that? where are the fish gonna go? pokerstars? they wouldnt survive 5 minutes there.

rj
Old 05-06-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you been playing there lately? There has been a trend towards tighter and tougher games from at least 1/2 to 3/6 that I am aware of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been hanging around here for about a year and a half, and this topic comes up with great fanfare and discussion about every 3 months. There are at least 3 or 4 other current threads on this subject.

Among other things, there are so many players at Party that table selection can make a big difference in one person's day to day experiences. Ask 5 people about their recent experience at Party and you will get (at least) 5 different answers. Playing at Party is like strolling through a big park; right here is the rock garden, over there is the fish pond.