Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Vegas pop my cherry ... steakhouses, clubs, bars, etc, comedy

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of the Border Grill in Mandalay but my friends think it's a dead scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been several references in this thread to the "scene". As someone who is tragically unhip, the concept eludes me in reference to high-end dining. Maybe somebody can 'splain it to me.

Obviously, if you are throwing money around like a drunken Senator for bottle service, lap service, etc., the "scene" is critical. You need to be seen at the scene.

If I am putting out big bux for fine food, I want a dead scene. I want a nice table in luxurious surroundings, I want a professional staff sucking up to me, and I want enough peace and quiet to enjoy my meal and perhaps even some intelligent conversation.

If I want a scene, I go to Chi-Chi's or Chuck E. Cheese and tell them it's my birthday.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I am putting out big bux for fine food, I want a dead scene. I want a nice table in luxurious surroundings, I want a professional staff sucking up to me, and I want enough peace and quiet to enjoy my meal and perhaps even some intelligent conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more, I would only be happy not to have any "sceners" there.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM

I'll take a shot, even though I tend to get yelled at every time I post Vegas suggestions. Vegas is the place in the US where I spend the most time (out of my home town) - maybe outgrowing the usual tourist perspective makes you less of a good source for advice?

Binion's Ranch Steak house on 24th floor - take the glass elevator for a first class thrill rides. Great (!) prime rib, great views and don't worry too much about money - you're getting incredible value for your dollar in a trad. Vegas setting.

Osaka trad. Japaneese restaurant with tatami room (shoes off) - fab food, original ambience (it's been there for close to 30 years), really inexpensive Osaka Las Vegas

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 08-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Ben-

When my friends and I go to Vegas, we want to be constantly entertained. Most of us live in and around New York City and can get the superb food experience you mentioned any time we want (most of the great restaurants in Vegas started in NYC). So while Delmonico's or Prime have great steak, we prefer the slightly lower quality steak at the N9NES in exchange for the "scene". Hey, if it were possible, a few of my "crew" would have pizza delivered to the Crazy Horse every night for the ultimate food and entertainment experience!!!

Dining itinerary so far, Fix (Bellagio) on Thursday, N9NES (Palms) on Friday and Nobu (Hard Rock) on Sunday. I thought Mix might be an option for Saturday but the online reviews didn't look promising. Any other suggestions? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 02:12 PM

What about Ghost Bar?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 PM

I didn't think you could eat at Ghost. We usually bribe our way into Ghost or Rain after the N9NES.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:19 PM

I just saw a thing on Travel Channel about Mesa Grill. Looks good though I've heard mixed reviews about the NYC one.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:35 PM

Not much into the nightclub scene but as far as steaks go here is what I have expereienced:

Lawreys Prime Rib: Good stuff if you are in to prime rib. I am not a huge prime rib fan but it was very good. Comes with decent sides and even some Yorkshire pudding which is a nice touch.

Mortons: Very good steak. We had 6 people eating there and it cost $600 when all was said and done so it is by no means cheap. The steaks themselves are prices about what you would expect from a high end steak house but they really hit you on the wine and side dishes.

The steakhouse at the top of Binions (I think it is called The Ranch): A bit below Mortons but very good still. Not outrageously priced and the service is good. If you are in the Freemont Street area it is worth checking out.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:46 PM

OP sounds like a 20-something. If you are, don't go downtown. Absolutely no reason unless you want to see what Vegas looked like when it sucked. If you're in desperate need of low limit craps or blackjack tables, they can be found on the strip.

And by "scene" we mean hustle and bustle, hot girls, good food, and a good vibe to go out. Sitting and enjoying a relaxing meal in peace and quiet while sipping expensive wine is what you do with your wife or girlfriend. That's not what you do with 8 guys in Vegas.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't go downtown

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, come to think of it, why go to Vegas at all - after all a big chunk of it still "sucks" big time, right?

I'm sure there's WiFi at Club Med or Sandals so all you need to do is to bring your pals and your laptop and you can gamble 24/7 on the sites you already know while overdosing on free drinks and scantily clad babes in a seemless shiny corporately designed leasure environment.

That's what you think the OP wants, right?

Downtown Las Vegas is a @#$% piece of unique, living (and unfortunately) disappering Americana you won't find anywhere else in the world - as opposed to the Strip, computer designed and copied all over the Western World from West Palm Beach, Sun City to Macao.

Somehow Aldous Huxley comes to mind.

McMelchior (Johan)