Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: 225 lbs. x 50 times in 10 minutes

Best troll ever.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was watching the episode with Ted Forrest's bet about the 225 bench press 50 times in one day with some friends and we got to talking about it and I said that I bet I could do it 50 times in 10 minutes. They all roundly agreed that I could not, and so, for a wager of 100 dollars from each of them I will attempt to bench press 225 50 times in ten minutes this afternoon. I will keep you updated. I am not REALLY confident about, but I think I will be able to do it. I am 6'1", 220 pounds, 22 years old. I can rep 225 probably 12 or 13 times in one set, but obviously the second set I am not going to get that many and so on. We'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't do it. In order to do it, you're max press would have to be around 450 - 500, which I doubt that it is.

Good luck though.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think your best choice is to not go to failute on your first set and just do sets of 8 with recovery time in between.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is a better plan, but I still don't think it's very realistic to do 50 in 10m when your peak set reps is around 13.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about doing 5/min. Do 5 then rest for like 35 seconds or whatever....do another 5?
May be his best shot...i still hate the bet.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:19 PM

There was someone a couple weeks ago stating that he was going to attempt to duplicate Ted Forrest's drinking accomplishment, but never reported back... I'm guessing this one will end up the same way.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:47 PM

Default RESULTS

So the plan was to do seven sets of seven with a minute or so rest in between each set. I had a timer and a spotter, but if the spotter touched the bar or needed to help at all then that rep wouldn't count, I wanted them all to be completely legitimate.

Set 1: The first set of 7 flew by easily, it only took about ten seconds and wasn't hard at all. I decided to wait until 1 minute total had elapsed and start the second set.

Set 2: Also easy, took a couple of seconds longer, but got all seven out easily.

Set 3: Got out all seven but was definitely struggling by the last rep.

Set 4: Got to 7 reps barely, definitely had a hard time getting the last one up.

Set 5: Got to six reps and stopped, I felt I would have made it too hard on myself for the next few sets and I at this point decided to drop down to sets of smaller reps, just a little more often. Total reps: 34, Time elapsed: 6:45.

Set 6: Despite being very sore at this point I was still confident, only 16 more reps in over three minutes. I aimed for six on the next one and BARELY squeaked out 5.

Set 7: At eight minutes elapsed I started the seventh set and managed 3, not very easily.

Set 8: Here I only needed eight more but I had only about 90 seconds left. I was able to get two.

Set 9: With six more required and a minute to go I got 2 more up.

Set 10: I decided to wait until the absolute last minute to try and start my last 4 reps to give myself the longest possible time to recover. Although that really isn't that much time considering I ended the last set right after 9 minutes. I started my last 4 reps with about ten seconds to go, managed to squeeze out 2 and crossed the ten minute mark with 48 total reps.

This wager cost me $200, and no I could not have pushed as hard as I could to get two more reps for the money, believe me I was pushing as hard as I could already. It was definitely one of the more interesting gambles I have taken and I am actually surprised at how close I got considering I just threw the ten minute number out there, obviously if I had said 15 minutes I probably could have gotten the same action from my friends and definitely been able to complete the task. Oh well. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2004, 11:12 PM

I also think this is the best way to go
Old 08-02-2004, 11:15 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Read Amarillo Slim's book, and next time you'll burn em with the proposition wagers (that is if you believe every story in there)
Old 08-03-2004, 12:56 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
So the plan was to do seven sets of seven with a minute or so rest in between each set. I had a timer and a spotter, but if the spotter touched the bar or needed to help at all then that rep wouldn't count, I wanted them all to be completely legitimate.

Set 1: The first set of 7 flew by easily, it only took about ten seconds and wasn't hard at all. I decided to wait until 1 minute total had elapsed and start the second set.

Set 2: Also easy, took a couple of seconds longer, but got all seven out easily.

Set 3: Got out all seven but was definitely struggling by the last rep.

Set 4: Got to 7 reps barely, definitely had a hard time getting the last one up.

Set 5: Got to six reps and stopped, I felt I would have made it too hard on myself for the next few sets and I at this point decided to drop down to sets of smaller reps, just a little more often. Total reps: 34, Time elapsed: 6:45.

Set 6: Despite being very sore at this point I was still confident, only 16 more reps in over three minutes. I aimed for six on the next one and BARELY squeaked out 5.

Set 7: At eight minutes elapsed I started the seventh set and managed 3, not very easily.

Set 8: Here I only needed eight more but I had only about 90 seconds left. I was able to get two.

Set 9: With six more required and a minute to go I got 2 more up.

Set 10: I decided to wait until the absolute last minute to try and start my last 4 reps to give myself the longest possible time to recover. Although that really isn't that much time considering I ended the last set right after 9 minutes. I started my last 4 reps with about ten seconds to go, managed to squeeze out 2 and crossed the ten minute mark with 48 total reps.

This wager cost me $200, and no I could not have pushed as hard as I could to get two more reps for the money, believe me I was pushing as hard as I could already. It was definitely one of the more interesting gambles I have taken and I am actually surprised at how close I got considering I just threw the ten minute number out there, obviously if I had said 15 minutes I probably could have gotten the same action from my friends and definitely been able to complete the task. Oh well. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, what's your bench press max?
Old 08-03-2004, 10:30 AM

I thought Ted Forrest said 15 times in one day.

Someone of your size should have been able to breeze through this.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:39 AM

this is what I would do but I wouldn't have taken the bet in the first place.

Just not enough time. I estimate he would need about 5 hours to do it and even that is pushing the limit.