Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Come hither, and see the worst AA play ever.

Some people just aren't going to bluff or bet marginal hands no matter how many times you check it to them and will only go to war with you if they can beat one pair. Here, you ran into that kind of person, you should put a note on him and remember.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:14 AM

Ive had many experiances where Im holding great cards, and I raise to say, 1.50 (6x BB), and everyone folds on me. Are you saying that it is better to simply win the blinds (0.35$ in my situation) sometimes then to let donks with bad hands see the flop and beat me out sometimes?

I beleive that this table didnt see a single preflop raise of over 1$ during the time I spent there prior to the hand. And anytime I tried, I got folds all around (this happened once or twice, I forget).

So is this table dependant, or I just gonna hold my breath and raise 6-10BB consistently with AA, KK, AK?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing wrong w/ value betting a pair of aces on the flop (especially after showing strength pre-flop).

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep it simple. Get money in the pot preflop. Bet the flop and take the pot down right there. I'm perfectly happy to take 5 BB with my aces instead of creating a monster pot and facing tough decisions on the turn/river which only too often will have me pull my hair out.

Some might argue that you're denying yourself money by making this play - but the great thing is you can do it with a lot weaker hands too.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that it is better to simply win the blinds (0.35$ in my situation) sometimes then to let donks with bad hands see the flop and beat me out sometimes?

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding
Old 10-01-2005, 06:34 PM

Think about it this way.

When you get dealt AA, you know that your most likely way to end the hand is with a pair. A high pair is a huge hand preflop, a good hand on the flop, an ok hand on the turn, and a worse hand on the river.

You want to get your money in earlier, when your hand is the best. If you let it get to the river, the chances are much higher that your opponent has 2 pair, set, straight or flush because you let him have more cards with which to make his hand, while those hands are very unlikely to help you.

Don't slowplay AA, you have to be able to let it go when it fails, and most people aren't good enough.