Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Movie remake ever???

Is Tim Burton's version a remake or is he doing his own version of Dahl's book? BTW the book is truly amazing (like most of his work) and I did enjoy the original movie...haven't seen the new one.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:04 PM

Haven't seen the new Manchurian Candidate, but the original is way overrated. Great idea, but poor execution both in the way it was written and the way it was filmed. Given the coolness of its premise, it was definitely a movie that needed to be remade.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:05 PM

Best - Ocean's 11.
Worst - Parent Trap!

Flame away fuckers.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Ocean's 11 certainly is up there for best remakes...

Another really good remake is "The Man Whe Knew too Much." That is also the only case I know of where a director (Hitchcock in this case) remade his own movie.

People seemed to like "The Ring" (remake of "Ringu")

I liked Vanilla Sky more then Abre Los Ojos even though it does have Tom Cruise in it.

Scarface is a great remake...

I liked The Magnificent 7 and Fistfull of Dollars (western remakes of Sinchin no Samurai and Yojimbo respectively) but while I like both, I wouldn't say that either was better (or even as good) as the original.

That said, while I enjoyed all of the movies listed above, Ocean's 11 was the only one that was drastically better then the original, so that gets my vote.

Wasn't "The Avengers" a remake of an old TV show? If that counts it certainly has to be the worst because it might still be the worst movie I've ever seen...
Old 07-19-2005, 04:13 PM

I thought it was a really good remake and for a fan of westerns I could easily see it being the best. I like this concept because westerns and "samurai" movies are VERY similar, so this is a good way to bring a good, foriegn, story to American movie goers...

The only problem is that its hard to live up to the original when you are remaking a masterpiece...
Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone needs to mention psycho - shot for shot - so it's not the best or the worst...just the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not entirely shot for shot
Old 07-19-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People seemed to like "The Ring" (remake of "Ringu")

I liked Vanilla Sky more then Abre Los Ojos even though it does have Tom Cruise in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think of either of these movies as remakes because the originals were so recent. To me it was more like "OK, we have a couple really cool foreign films, but we probably can't market them in America without a bigger budget, english and some star power, so we have to remake them."

I could have enjoyed Vanilla Sky, but it just bothered me the whole time thinking about how hip and clever Cameron Crowe must have thought he was making it.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem is that its hard to live up to the original when you are remaking a masterpiece...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I enjoy The Magnificent Seven, it's got a great cast and some cool moments. But this isn't a thread about good remakes of incredible movies.

You know what I'd like to see a remake of. Westworld. It was a great sci-fi/thriller and with updated special effects and a good cast I think it could be great.

Swede
Old 07-19-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I enjoy The Magnificent Seven, it's got a great cast and some cool moments. But this isn't a thread about good remakes of incredible movies.

You know what I'd like to see a remake of. Westworld. It was a great sci-fi/thriller and with updated special effects and a good cast I think it could be great.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen Westworld, but I've heard great things about it. I've also heard that Waterworld was very similar. Waterworld was definitely similar to the Road Warrior, which I did see, so I could loosely call Waterworld a contender for worst remake.

But Mr. Deeds was god awful. I didn't see the original, so I can't be sure. Actually, yes I can.

The best remake? I'd have to go with The Bourne Identity. There was an earlier version with Richard Chamberlain and wonder woman. It was bad, trust me, do not go searching for this one.

-ptmusic
Old 07-19-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd have to go with The Bourne Identity. There was an earlier version with Richard Chamberlain and wonder woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it was Jaclyn Smith.