Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Calling all ins that make no sense

[ QUOTE ]
sorry forgot to state that this was a PS $27t

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a call actually. You would rarely see a hand you're dominated by, he's short and gambling to try and get back. Plus you have TT, youre better than a flip half of the time maybe, thats a good edge.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:36 PM

Yes, I would call/move allin. The chances of you dominating your opponent are pretty good here. You should leave out the results however, so that it doesnt influence the opinion of others.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the button with 900 and JJ.
UTG pushes with 700 chips at 15/30. It folds to me.

Should I fold this?
Of course not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

Lori
Old 09-27-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm on the button with 900 and JJ.
UTG pushes with 700 chips at 15/30. It folds to me.

Should I fold this?
Of course not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I know that there is the thought that you have bigger edges later and don't want to take coinflips early since you can push other edges later. (I don't know if this is anywhere close to why you're asking or not).

But like others have said, the chance that your hand is dominated (or even in a coin flip) at this point are pretty small. I would say that the raisers range (at these levels) would be 99-, AJ-, KQ-, QJ- ... or something like that.

Something pretty weak overall. Of those hands, you're in pretty good shape most of the time. At least it's a pretty big edge with the exception of KQ.

Of those times when the raiser has AA/KK/etc, just start up another one. I just don't think there are many logical situations in which folding this hand (or the TT) in this situation would be rational. I think you're too far ahead too often.

What was the purpose of asking 'why not'? Or was it just to get me to articuatle it more? If you think that 'of course not' is too strong of a statement, what would you reply to the question, 'should I fold this?' and why?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:57 PM

I think your example is quite different to the post in question.

The original post has slightly higher blinds, and we have a stack where we can afford to be wrong with our tens.

I feel that in your example, an error pretty much ends our tournament, and we are only at level two, so we can afford to wait for a bigger edge (as you mention) I think you'll be up against a big pair or two overcards often enough to turn your JJ pretty horrible, but with the TT, even though the same applies, we only lose 600 when we are wrong... which will have a much lower impact on our long term ROI.

Edit: Furthermore, in the OP's post, the raise is coming from someone who is more likely to be desperate than in your post.

Edit2: (God this was a loose post) When I say 'lose 600' when refering to the first example. I mean lose 600 from a larger stack of course.

Lori
Old 09-27-2005, 09:58 PM

The purpose was to get you to articulate it because I'm not sure I agree.

I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Lori
Old 09-27-2005, 10:06 PM

All-ins, that don't make sense, usually don't because the all-iner is not a rational/logical player (which is oftentimes why he's gotten himself short stacked in the first place), thus...a hand like TT is looking mighty fine against his likely range (sometimes it will be overs and occasionally an overpair, but on average I'd say you're at least 60% here with a slight overlay since you'll see shat a fair amount of the time, as well as 22-99 and Ax where x<10).
Old 09-27-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your example is quite different to the post in question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and I think this is a general problem by putting in this example since they are very different. The purpose was just to highlight that people make non-sense pushes in different situations that don't make a lot of sense. Both of these situations seem like a call is good (though you may disagree) even though you may fold both of these hands preflop in other situations.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, and I think this is a general problem by putting in this example since they are very different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm with you now. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Lori