Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: what %of online poker players have a semi, or serious gambling problem

90%
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: what %of online poker players have a semi, or serious gambling problem

[ QUOTE ]
This site has a nice discussion on the different "Types of Gamblers." I would guess that online poker players consist of all of those types of gamblers including the section on "Professional Gamblers." As for a % breakdown of each type, who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

From that site:

"It has been estimated that there are fewer than 3,000 professional gamblers in the US and Canada and only 50 professional gamblers in the U.S. who earn over $100,000 dollars annually by gambling."

There's probably double that on 2+2.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi

My name is Peter and i am addicted to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe. he said "Peter" hehe
Old 04-26-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Re: what %of online poker players have a semi, or serious gambling pro

What about that laptop?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:36 AM

I have a problem.....But I don't care... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

No. I really like gambling, but I can quit if I need to. I'm probably about to put an end to my sports betting very soon.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:44 AM

SO WHAT if I smoke crack 5 times a day?...oh wait....were talking about gambling addiction. Nevermind.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably about to put an end to my sports betting very soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

the sooner the better.......sports betting has far too many variables; you have much more control over your fate with poker. I learned the hard way.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:34 PM

Serious answer........
Most online poker players have a semi or serious problem whether they will admit it or not.

A winning online player is just an example of a "functioning" addict. In this thread alone you can see all kinds of rationaliztions and denial. First and foremost among these......."I'm a winning player, do I have a problem?" The fact that you win makes you functional. Your financially supporting your addiction. There is no financially adverse effect in your homelife as a matter of fact you and the spouse paid for a terrific week in Maui last year just from poker winnings.

Being in no financial difficulties does not mean one does not have a problem. If Bill Gates had a $200/day coke habit would he NOT have a problem just because it has no effect on his bottom line?

Any addiction affects different aspects of our lives.
*Neglect of time/feelings shared with loved ones and friends. Ask the wife "A week in Maui or more of my free time throughout the year?"

*Time spent away or at work pursuing the addiction. As I read these threads I am at work. I'll probably play a SNG over my lunch hour and it may carry over 5-10 mins over my alloted time for lunch. I'm lucky being self-employed I can get away with this but it still detracts from my purpose at this time of day.

At one time or another one could say I have been addicted to any of the following:

Marijuana
Cocaine
Alchohol
Tobacco
Work
Hearts (yea the card game)
Backgammon
You name it

I have an addictive personality. I KNOW I am addicted to online poker. Rationalization? I'm a winning player of course. Not to mention the fact that I know if not this then something else. Lesser of two or more evils.

Not saying this applies to ALL online players but wanted to provide some food for thought. Certainly there are more with a "problem" than would admit to it. My guestimate would be a majority.

My name is XXXX and I'm a pokerholic.

Anmyway my soul is cleansed.......3 hail Marys said.....Life is good.

It's off to that lunch hour SNG!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 PM

nice post smackdab...

i have to aggree that the majority of poker players, even the long term winners, have gambling problems. i certinly have a minor one, but not a major one...

Personally i rationalize my habit with the standard "but i'm a winner" and "there's worse addictions out there", and i believe that these are valid points. poker doesn't hurt my social or home life, but it does keep me up late, takes a lot of my time- i used to read a lot- history, philosophy, politics- now i read mostly poker books. I used to have a lot of fun playing, but now it's about 40% fun, 60% grind.

but, hell, it's no worse than wasting the same ammount of time having a part time job that would pay me peanuts and i wouldn't enjoy AT ALL... I'd have to say, for the ammount of money i make (not a lot, esp compared to the big winners on this site, but way more than most poker players that think they're winners), it's a totally justifiable addiction- agaiin, there are many far worse things that i could be doing in my spare time.

GL to all you degenerate gamblers on this forum. you only live once, and you may as well have an enjoyable and interesting (and profitable) addiction....

B [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

"he who makes a beast of himself escapes the pain of being a man" -Dr. Johnson
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a problem.....But I don't care...

No. I really like gambling, but I can quit if I need to. I'm probably about to put an end to my sports betting very soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude;

never ever say: "i can quit if i need to" even if you probably could... it sounds desperate... so does "put an end to my sports betting very soon."...

personally, i'm just getting started in sports betting, and will be treating it as a -EV hobby until i get much better at it. (of course, the bonuses more than make up for my losses... heh.)