Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Sayings that people totally butcher.....

I work with a girl who insists on pronouncing the "L" in salmon SALLLL-MON. Drives me crazy
Old 10-17-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is two W. comments thusfar.

I think everyone gets it... he's an idiot. And enough people voted for him to get him elected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Change the word "elected" to "appointed" and I agree.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why is this incorrect? Have you ever seen a anxious horse "chomp" at the bit in its mouth? This is the origin of the phrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why its incorrect, it just is.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...Great answer. But you are still wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Just because everyone says it doesn't mean its correct. It just means everyone is lazy and ignorant, but hey, that's the american way.

[/ QUOTE ]
When someone states something to be correct and cannot provide any reason as to why other than "I don't know why its incorrect, it just is", that is lazy and ignorant.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and a bit obscure, but...

"Chomping at the bit"
-----wrong. Its "champing at the bit". Everyone says chomping

[/ QUOTE ]

Phrases like this ALWAYS change over time as some of the words (champing in this case) just start to become not used anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Link

From www.merriam-webster.com:
[ QUOTE ]
An equestrienne expecting her first child asked about the phrase "champing at the bit." Perhaps her patience was wearing thin—and perhaps she missed horseback riding—but our friend admitted to being driven crazy by people who described themselves as "chomping at the bit."

Eager to learn—and again, we quote—whether she should consider herself "righteously indignant or foolish and inflexible"—our friend turned to her Collegiate Dictionary. That's where she discovered that while champ and chomp have nearly synonymous transitive senses, champing or (chomping) at the bit is an intransitive usage.

For a long time, chomp and champ enjoyed slightly different intransitive senses: to chomp was to chew or bite on something; to champ was tomake biting or gnashing movements. Champ was the usual word to describe the noisy biting or chewing associated with farm animals; when an unruly or impatient horse bit or gnashed a bridle's bit, he or she was said to being "champing at the bit." That literal champing became figurative when it was applied to humans impatient at restraint or inactivity.

So does this mean chomping at the bit is incorrect? "Chomping at the bit" is the newer of the two phrases, but it is well enough established to have earned its place in the dictionary. Traditionalists may prefer champing but those eager for change may well feel comfortable chomping.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2005, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]

Phrases like this ALWAYS change over time as some of the words (champing in this case) just start to become not used anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right! They change over time into wrong words like 'chomping', which stupid people believe MUST be the saying because hey, chomping and bit go hand-in-hand, right?

Then Websters says "F*ck, every idiot and their brother says 'chomping' now. Sh*t, just make it chomping. Not one of these f*ckwads reads a dictionary anyway."

So yah, you're right. "They always change"......

Its the American way. Lazy and ignorant, but not wrong.

And that brings me next to "hand-in-hand", which I just used above. Most idiosos say 'hand and hand', which is totally wrong. I'm sure that'll be changing soon, though.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:01 AM

I hate when people mis pronounce crayon.

Its Cray- on
not crown or crayen.

CRAY... ON
Old 10-18-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right! They change over time into wrong words like 'chomping', which stupid people believe MUST be the saying because hey, chomping and bit go hand-in-hand, right?

Then Websters says "F*ck, every idiot and their brother says 'chomping' now. Sh*t, just make it chomping. Not one of these f*ckwads reads a dictionary anyway."

And that brings me next to "hand-in-hand", which I just used above. Most idiosos say 'hand and hand', which is totally wrong. I'm sure that'll be changing soon, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Refer to the definitions above of chomping and champing. BTW, you have still not answered my question regarding how you "know" what is correct.

This is like arguing with a child who "knows" the answer because "daddy said so" and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Many examples listed in this thread have no correct usage under any circumstances. But given the difference between the words "chomp" and "champ", I cannot see how someone could say what is the correct or original term. But since you seem to be so smart, maybe you should write a "correct" reference that can compete with Merriam Webster.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"Chomping at the bit"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Refer to the definitions above of chomping and champing. BTW, you have still not answered my question regarding how you "know" what is correct.

This is like arguing with a child who "knows" the answer because "daddy said so" and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Many examples listed in this thread have no correct usage under any circumstances. But given the difference between the words "chomp" and "champ", I cannot see how someone could say what is the correct or original term. But since you seem to be so smart, maybe you should write a "correct" reference that can compete with Merriam Webster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go, hero....

http://www.langston.com/English/ ---its right near the top.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 PM

Easedropping is not a word...

...eavesdropping is.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:23 PM

God Bless You.

The majority of the time I hear this phrase, it's pronounced
godbleshoo (I'm talking specifically post-snease of course).