Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: ****THE Official ALCS CHISOX vs. LAA Thread****

[ QUOTE ]
I saw him pointing to the right to signal strike three and then 'pumping his fist to signal the out'. Didn't anyone else see this?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw this.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw him pointing to the right to signal strike three and then 'pumping his fist to signal the out'. Didn't anyone else see this?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This ump was extremely demonstrative in his strike calls all night long. I don't think this means much.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I was not holding the ball at the time. I couldn't have tagged AJP out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
1. im pretty sure the ball hit the dirt. it comes up at the end.

2. paul should have tagged the guy. no reason not to. in the alcs.

3. the only reason that im unsure of whether what happened was fair or not is because the umpire made the "out" fist. thats not how umps call strikes. when umps pump the fist, its an out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because the ball moves "up" does not mean it hit the dirt. Can we agree on that?

According to the press conference, the ump wasn't sure what happened so he watched to see what happened.

So the catcher runs off the field after rolling the ball back to the pitcher, but since the guy who swung at the pitch and couldn't have seen if the ball hit the dirt, decides to run because he says the ump was silent, and thus, the umps conclude the ball hit the ground.

Brilliant!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:47 PM

will the umps union ever allow instant replay? especially in the playoffs? this is definately a strong case for it if there ever was one...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. im pretty sure the ball hit the dirt. it comes up at the end.

2. paul should have tagged the guy. no reason not to. in the alcs.

3. the only reason that im unsure of whether what happened was fair or not is because the umpire made the "out" fist. thats not how umps call strikes. when umps pump the fist, its an out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just because the ball moves "up" does not mean it hit the dirt. Can we agree on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

no
Old 10-12-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
will the umps union ever allow instant replay? especially in the playoffs? this is definately a strong case for it if there ever was one...

[/ QUOTE ]
Would it help in this case? If they followed the NFL requirement of "indisputable evidence" to overturn a call, I'm not sure you've got it here.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That ball clearly hit the dirt before he caught it.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're fuking blind, Homeboy.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is at least 3 of us now that say it hit the dirt. How can we see something that didn't happen? Just not possible.

We all agree that the catcher caught it. We all saw that. But those of us lucky enough, also saw it hit dirt first. Otherwise we wouldn't say so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your joking right? I mean it was not even close, the guy caught it end of story. I just saw a bunch of replays on espn. I had not seen it as I just got home, I listened on the radio and I was like I gotta see these multiple replays closely and pay attention cause its going to be close and I want to make sure I see what others see. It wasnt even close, it was like he caught, what dirt? Very very disappointed in it. I understand why the home plate umpire couldnt see, but how the first and thirds base guys said he didnt catch it, just stupidity. I want those two worthless umpires sent to the minors, the home plate umpire couldnt really see perfectly so he has an excuse, no excuse for the third and first base umps.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think that this is a poor example of a potential replay situation. Since the Ump called the batter out, the inning must be over even if the ball bounce ten feet in front of the plate.

The reform I would like to see from this is standardization of umpire signals.