Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: ***The OFFICIAL Last Week of the Baseball Season Thread (AL)***

I have a question. If the yankees win just 1 game this weekend, they win the division, right?

i keep hearing about the white sox winning the division even if cleveland sweeps because they have the better record head to head.

if the yankees win 1 this weekend, the yanks and sox will have the same record, and the yankees will have won the season series 10-9.

are the situations not the same?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question. If the yankees win just 1 game this weekend, they win the division, right?

i keep hearing about the white sox winning the division even if cleveland sweeps because they have the better record head to head.

if the yankees win 1 this weekend, the yanks and sox will have the same record, and the yankees will have won the season series 10-9.

are the situations not the same?

[/ QUOTE ]
Somewhat, but not really. It would depend on the outcome of the Indians/White Sox series as well. If the Yankees and Red Sox finish with 95 wins and the Indians finish with 96 wins, the Tribe would win the Wild Card. In that case, the Yankees and Red Sox would have a one game playoff to decide who would win the East, and who would stay home. The only scenario in which teams play a one game playoff is to decide which of the two would go home. Under the White Sox/Tribe scenario, the only way the Tribe could tie the Sox was to get to 96 wins, which would automatically give them the wild card. Since they'd be in the playoffs anyway, they revert to head-to-head record to decide the division. Therefore, the White Sox clinched yesterday, even though their magic number didn't technically come up.

If the Tribe, Yankees and Red Sox all tied for record, the Yankees and Red Sox would play one game Monday to decide the division, and the loser would play the Tribe Tuesday to decide the wild card.

So the fun could very possibly continue beyond this weekend, which is already going to be awesome! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2005, 02:32 PM

I was wondering about this too, because everything in the media about Sox-Yanks is saying that if the Sox take two there will be a playoff on Monday.

Here's where the difference might be: If the Indians sweep, they will tie the White Sox for first but also be guaranteed the wild card (because either Boston and New York will not be able to match their win total). When two teams tie for a division but both get into the playoffs anyway, there is no one-game playoff for the division title. However, if two teams tie but they are not both guaranteed to make the playoffs (as may happen with Sox-Yanks), then they play the winner-take-all game for the division. That's my theory anyway.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering about this too, because everything in the media about Sox-Yanks is saying that if the Sox take two there will be a playoff on Monday.

Here's where the difference might be: If the Indians sweep, they will tie the White Sox for first but also be guaranteed the wild card (because either Boston and New York will not be able to match their win total). When two teams tie for a division but both get into the playoffs anyway, there is no one-game playoff for the division title. However, if two teams tie but they are not both guaranteed to make the playoffs (as may happen with Sox-Yanks), then they play the winner-take-all game for the division. That's my theory anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is correct.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Only if the Indians lose at least 2 out of 3 to the ChiSox.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: You Never Know

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also like to add that it really pissed me off when we were in the slump and all the announcers / fans etc would say "we need to go back to small ball to win". Made no sense because we hadn't changed anything [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

i really do hate the sports media. unfortunatly i am drawn to them like someone looking at a car wreck.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? if the Yankees win 1 this weekend, they finish tied with the Red Sox for the AL East lead, regardless of what Cleveland does.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? if the Yankees win 1 this weekend, they finish tied with the Red Sox for the AL East lead, regardless of what Cleveland does.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but if the Tribe gets swept or only wins one, the Red Sox would take the wild card with their 95 wins and automatically make the playoffs. Since the BoSox would be in the playoffs anyway, there would be no one-game playoff for the AL East -- the Yanks would win it by virtue of head-to-head. The only time a play-in game is used is to decide whether or not teams make the playoffs or not.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:26 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but they don't win the division sans playoff game, unless Boston is already guaranteed a spot by the Indians losing.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but they don't win the division sans playoff game, unless Boston is already guaranteed a spot by the Indians losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i c