Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Strangely Played Hand in 10K at Harrahs

Please! Somewhere along the line you need to consider "relativity" in your strategy.

Vince
Old 03-29-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Dan Harrington says \"Raise\", so soes Brunson.

When did I say that Harrington wasx not a good player?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:43 AM

I see vince's word is worth about five months.

Vince sure is the miracle cure for interesting. He descends on a thread and "makes it his own" so quickly that it's hard to remember a time when it was worth reading. What a talent.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the limp, I wonder though about the fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I talked to David this evenning about his reasons for limping. I told him that I will in some situations limp as he suggested. I told him that I didn't (I didn't) really mean that limping was horrible but knew it would cause some discussion if I came out strongly against the play. David Sklansky, in my opinion, knows poker. His advice is always a Positive EV. Me, what do I knoiw. So limp already. i think that raising is a better play preflop but if you can get away from a lot of hands on the flop then by all means do it. BTW - I think folding is the best play on the flop, especially considering the bettor and two limpers yet to act.

Vince
Old 03-29-2005, 07:48 AM

Default I\'\'m sorry. I did forget. I\'m out!

Mr Phillips is correct. I truly apologize. I forgot that I promised not to enter any threads he was in. Sorry.

" I promise that I will never mention your name again on this or any other internet Poker Forum. I also promise never to enter into a discussion of any poker situation in which you participate"

I'll make every effort to keep this promise this time.

Vince
Old 03-29-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: I\'\'m sorry. I did forget. I\'m out!

Vince your arguments would gain a lot more credibility if you didn't preface them with comments that you later admit were embellishments (ie - Limping is horrible).

This is obviously a situation where it's nearly impossible to deem one of the choices between raising and calling as horrible, yet you started out your debate by doing so. Then you sit back and are astounded as people are giving more respect to Paul Phillips who actually presents an honest and open minded approach to the hand.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Vince sure is the miracle cure for interesting. He descends on a thread and "makes it his own" so quickly that it's hard to remember a time when it was worth reading. What a talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those of us who have had the pleasure of Vince's posting company for many years would likely say that your statement is more true than even you might guess.

IMO it's a pity Vince does not post more often. You say he is a talent, but there is yet more talent there than you have been exposed to. I'm not being facetious and I mean this in a good way. Sadly, the days when Vince wrote posts like "What Was I Thinking?" or the post about the drive down to Foxwoods, seem to be days of the past.

Vince might be rather opinionated when it comes to expressing some of his poker thoughts, but he when it comes to pure writing or story-telling, with a philosophical twist, he has produced some gems. Also, he is not always as irrevocably set in his poker opinions as one might presume from reading some of his posts. Also, some of his poker thoughts have been right on-the-money even when many respected posters initially thought otherwise.

I don't know why Vince tends to get into it on occasion with certain people while posting, but I would say, it might be best to just try to ignore that aspect of things, and view it as added color or flavor to what might otherwise be a dull thread.

I guess if you haven't met Vince or read his very very old posts, this might be hard to believe. Just ask DS or Andy Fox if you get the chance.

Anyway, I'm always glad to read Vince Lepore--just not as glad as I used to be. But hey life changes, and things will change again. Nobody can produce gems consistently. The time for artistic genius actually does go in cycles.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:17 AM

I was 7-tabling Stars $15 SNGs last night, and I ran into a guy who must have read Sklansky's post. 5 limpers for 30 to me in the BB. I raise to 200 with AKo. 4th limper in CO minireraises to 370. I push for 1400. He calls and shows AA.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:16 PM

This is priceless. I mean, I like your poker play alot, but now I respect you ever more as a forum champion.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:20 PM

Yes, all the books say only limpraise with AA and only as the first limper. However, if you play that way, you become too predictable, particularly as a known player in $10K tournaments. Therefore, you need to sometimes limpraise with hands other than AA and sometimes limpraise in slightly different situations.

You also have to adapt your play to the way the table is playing. The book moves are geared towards $10K tournaments. If you are playing at a lower level, you may have to adjust. You also have to adjust to how deep the money is, how tight or aggressive the table is, and to individual players.

Some of the books, particualry the Cloutier/McEvoy ones, just give standard plays, and don't give away all the author's tricks.