Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Crimson Challenges #1 and #2 : Hot Sauce and Butter

[ QUOTE ]
downtown SC on halloween is absolutly insane, if we did it down there, I would garuntee a huge crowd, and probably some police coming to investigate.

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw four cop cars in Santa Cruz in the three months I was there; three of them were in a diner parking lot. I call bs. I say do it downtown and try to get the pink guy in the video.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 AM

Dave's Insanity?

LOL. El D, you're mean dude. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck Crimson, you're gonna need it dude.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 PM

I'll be there. Should I bring anything?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Anybody know the danger of capsacin?

Or whatever the hell it's called? Are you for real that drinking a ton of it could hurt you? Because this dude is going to drink a ton of it (this is hot stuff).

If anyone has any *real* info on this subject and not just speculation, come forth.

I definitely want to see someone barf, but I don't want to see anyone get permanantly injured or dead.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Anybody know the danger of capsacin?

[ QUOTE ]
Or whatever the hell it's called? Are you for real that drinking a ton of it could hurt you? Because this dude is going to drink a ton of it (this is hot stuff).

If anyone has any *real* info on this subject and not just speculation, come forth.

I definitely want to see someone barf, but I don't want to see anyone get permanantly injured or dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just know that capsaicin actually helps lower body temperature and stimulate the cardiovascular system.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Toxicity of Capsaicinoids

In order to determine the lethal toxic level of capsaicinoids in animals, and to extrapolate that level for humans, researchers in 1980 performed a rather gruesome experiment with mice, rats, guinea pigs and rabbits. Pure capsaicin was administered intraveinously, subcutaneously, in the stomach, and applied topically until the animals died. The lethal toxic doses of capsaicin, measured in milligrams per kilogram of animal weight ranged from a mere .56 milligrams when administered intraveinously to 190 milligrams when consumed to 512 milligrams when applied topically--which means that the poor animals were drowned in it. Indeed, the probable cause of death in all cases was presumed to be respiratory paralysis. Guinea pigs were the most sensitive to capsaicin, while rabbits were less susceptible. The author of the study, T. Glinsukon, concluded that the acute toxicity of capsaicinoids as a food additive in mankind was neglible. If humans are about as sensitive as mice, the acute fatal toxicity dose for a 150 pound person would be about thirteen grams of pure, crystalline capsaicinoids, which frankly, sounds high to us. I think that less than that would be lethal.

There have been investigations in dangerous doses in humans of the various substances that have capsaicin as an ingredient. For example, C.L. Winek conducted a study that was published in Drug and Chemical Toxicology that examined the overdose potential of Tabasco® Sauce. He concluded that a person of average weight would have to consume nearly a half gallon of the sauce to overdose and become unconscious.

In a related study, rats were fed large amounts of Tabasco® Sauce and suffered "no gross or microscopic pathological changes or any significan biochemical changes in the animals." Their growth rate also remained normal. In a similar study, rats were fed crude extracts of chile pods and crystalline capsainoids by stomach tube while allowed access to normal food and water. None of the rats died and they all appeared normal throughout the study. Of course, the rats were killed and then autopsied, but no gross pathological changes were detected.

Humans have also acted as guinea pigs with oleoresin capsicum. It is an ingredient in super-hot sauces with words in the name like insanity, death, and suicide. These sauces are tasted at food shows by people who have no idea of how hot they are. Some people, with few tastebuds in the mouths, are not bothered by the extreme heat. But most people react very negatively to the super-hot sauces, experiencing severe burning and sometimes blistering of the mouth and tongue. Other immediate responses have included shortness of breath, fainting, nausea, and spontaneous vomiting. People should be very careful of commercial hot sauces that list oleoresin capsicum as an ingredient.

Aside from the above adverse effects, the super-hot sauce will not hurt you. "Comprehensive nutritional studies have not shown any adverse effects of chile or capsaicinoids even at ten times the maximum use levels," wrote the one world’s experts on capsaicin, V.S. Govindarajan, author of the mammoth study, Capsicum--Production, Technology, Chemistry and Quality. But even if you do overindulge in capsaicinoids, do not worry, for they are quickly metabolized in the liver and excreted in urine within a few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that Crimson would pass out before any real damage could be done.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:10 PM

from here: Dude's page on Capsaicin

"Pure capsaicin is so powerful that chemists who handle the crystalline powder must work in a filtered "tox room" in full body protection. The suit has a closed hood to prevent inhaling the powder. Said pharmaceutical chemist Lloyd Matheson of the University of Iowa, who once inhaled some capsaicin accidentally: "It’s not toxic, but you wish you were dead if you inhale it." "One milligram of pure capsaicin placed on your hand would feel like a red-hot poker and would surely blister the skin," said capsaicin expert Marlin Bensinger."

Further down:

"There have been investigations in dangerous doses in humans of the various substances that have capsaicin as an ingredient. For example, C.L. Winek conducted a study that was published in Drug and Chemical Toxicology that examined the overdose potential of Tabasco® Sauce. He concluded that a person of average weight would have to consume nearly a half gallon of the sauce to overdose and become unconscious."

However, if you guys were planning on using Dave's Insanity Sauce, read this:

"Humans have also acted as guinea pigs with oleoresin capsicum. It is an ingredient in super-hot sauces with words in the name like insanity, death, and suicide. These sauces are tasted at food shows by people who have no idea of how hot they are. Some people, with few tastebuds in the mouths, are not bothered by the extreme heat. But most people react very negatively to the super-hot sauces, experiencing severe burning and sometimes blistering of the mouth and tongue. Other immediate responses have included shortness of breath, fainting, nausea, and spontaneous vomiting. People should be very careful of commercial hot sauces that list oleoresin capsicum as an ingredient."
Old 10-31-2005, 03:13 PM

Mouth blistering? This is sounding like less of a good idea.

I'd suggest having lots of water around, drinking some beforehand to dilute the sauce to help moderate the shock to the stomach, a hand towel to pat or scrape the tongue, palate and gums with, etc.

And I think you guys are serious assholes for doing this out in the open where there can be no provisions for any kind of safety or comfort. If the dude craps his pants and is doubled over in gut pain, which one of you guys is going to drag his drippy crapped out pants into your car to give him a ride home? I thought so.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:15 PM

It is healthy for him!
Old 10-31-2005, 03:19 PM

Aside from the above adverse effects, the super-hot sauce will not hurt you. "Comprehensive nutritional studies have not shown any adverse effects of chile or capsaicinoids even at ten times the maximum use levels," wrote the one world’s experts on capsaicin, V.S. Govindarajan, author of the mammoth study, Capsicum--Production, Technology, Chemistry and Quality. But even if you do overindulge in capsaicinoids, do not worry, for they are quickly metabolized in the liver and excreted in urine within a few hours.