Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Just my 2c:

Notready,

Could you elaborate a little more on that part of your personal experience when you were being "preached" the gospel but as you put it, did not "hear" it. Surely you understood what you were being taught intellectually. What was your response? Did you not believe it? Did you choose to reject it? What exactly were you thinking about it?

PairTheBoard
Old 06-29-2005, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate a little more

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the pastor of the last church I had attended before I became a Christian about 6 years later was a strong Evangelical who preached the Gospel on a regular basis. I'm simply assuming he did so the few times I was in the pew. I have no memory of any of the content of his sermons. The only response I can be sure of was taking a nap.

How much are you charging for this session, Dr.?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people call Christians irrational?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did i say that christians were irrational? I do not think that they are, not exactly, anyway. Their assumptions and faith are not rational, but their actions that proceed from those beliefs are anything but irrational.

i'm really not getting your point here.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Could you elaborate a little more

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the pastor of the last church I had attended before I became a Christian about 6 years later was a strong Evangelical who preached the Gospel on a regular basis. I'm simply assuming he did so the few times I was in the pew. I have no memory of any of the content of his sermons. The only response I can be sure of was taking a nap.

How much are you charging for this session, Dr.?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just wondering how your experience at that time might relate to the kinds of responses to the gospel that David and others have mentioned here. It sounds like your response at that time was basically to just not listen to it.

I will get more personal with this question though. You said your Father was a sceptic. Did he remain a sceptic throughout his life? Is he still alive? If he died a sceptic are you happy knowing he is now in hell? If you can't know such a thing until you are with god in heaven, assuming your father dies a sceptic will you be happy in heaven knowing your father is in hell? If not your father, surely there are others close to you who are not saved. Will you be happy in heaven knowing some of them are in hell? As a Christian your most fervent wish is to love god and love your neighbors - which I assume includes everyone on the planet. These people you now love so much...will you be happy in heaven knowing so many of them are in hell?

PairTheBoard
Old 06-29-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he died a sceptic are you happy knowing he is now in hell?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must "hear" what I say as much as I "heard" the pastor of that church. You can wake up now.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did i say that christians were irrational?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say you did. I said people say that.

[ QUOTE ]

Their assumptions and faith are not rational,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I should have said "Why do people call Christianity irrational". So I can include you in "people" who think Christianity is irrational.

[ QUOTE ]

If there is nothing absolute, then why not be the absolute yourself?

i'm really not getting your point here.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many people are there on earth? 3 billion? So you are saying there are 3 billion absolutes? Is that rational?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 AM

To be rational means to act in such a manner that your actions are reasonable considering the circumstances and your knowlage of the situation.

To be reasonable means that one has logical, repeatable, sound reasons for holding the beliefs and ideas that one holds.

Given what we are capable of directly observing, It is irrational to believe that there is a 'god' , a heaven or hell, or anything supernatural, because there is exactly ZERO repeatable, sound evidence supporting such a belief, while the world is FULL of evidence, both logical and anecdotal, that deny the existance of 'god'.

[ QUOTE ]
How many people are there on earth? 3 billion? So you are saying there are 3 billion absolutes? Is that rational?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where have you been? it's more like six billion. I am indeed saying that there are six billion absolutes- but from any individual perspective, there is only one. It's perfectly rational.

I think you may be in a little over your head in this discussion NR... no insult or anything, but my post was pretty basic stuff.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Specific Question For Not Ready and Others

God doesnt make you believe anything. His message is there for all to ponder and there is no shortage of resources for those who feel they may not fully understand the messages of the Bible. When you truly understand the message He is giving us, you then have a choice to make. You are completely free to accept or reject that message as you see fit.

To be honest, I am not quite sure what your question about reading two other religious texts along with the Bible is getting at? It doesnt change anything. But I suspect I may have missed the point of the question and I'll be happy to readdress it. SOrry for the long delay in replies, I am currently living out of my suitcase and staying in a place with no wireless internet access. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
while the world is FULL of evidence, both logical and anecdotal, that deny the existance of 'god'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Id like to see some examples of that evidence.

[ QUOTE ]
I am indeed saying that there are six billion absolutes- but from any individual perspective, there is only one. It's perfectly rational.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats called moral relativism and it inevitably leads towards a world where might makes right and I know you dont agree with that.

You better be nice or I wont buy you a beer the next time I'm in Seattle. :P
Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If he died a sceptic are you happy knowing he is now in hell?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must "hear" what I say as much as I "heard" the pastor of that church. You can wake up now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe you are choosing to ignore the question just as you ignored what the pastor was preaching.

PTB