Old 07-15-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Ahhh, baseball. NYY vs Red Sox

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my rationalization:

the series is 1-1, not a bad result

[/ QUOTE ]

righhttt. but after schilling gives up a homerun to the best RH batter in the AL, the sox should just forfeit the pennant right then.....

you people are hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

youre misinterpreting what i said about schillings night. i mean it from the "me enjoying it" perspective, not from a "red sox are out of the pennant race" perspective. because i had a blast last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhh

im glad you had fun
Old 07-15-2005, 10:26 PM

Cashman has been a terrific GM; his record speaks for itself. But he (Steinbrenner?) has made mistakes with the pitching staff the last year or so. Leiber should indeed have been resigned. They took a giant chance taking him on as a rehab project in the first place and once he started pitching creditably they let him go.

The Weaver/Brown trade doesn't look very good either. Weaver will never be a big star but he ceratainly could have been a serviceable 3rd or 4th starting pitcher, as he is now with the Dodgers. Why pick up a 39-year old pitcher?

Ditto with the Randy Johnson trade. Vasquez may not be quite as good as they hoped he would be, but he will win another 100 games in his career, a lot more than Randy will. Halsey was good enough to be called up mid-season last year and may also be decent.

Likewise, the Loaiza trade looks bad. Contreras, according to Torre, had "electrifying" stuff.

I never understood why they didn't start El Duque in the Boston series. He was throwing and they judged Brown was the better risk. Feh. He was by far their best pitcher in the second half last year.

The team simply doesn't have good enough starting pitching to make the post-season.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cashman has been a terrific GM; his record speaks for itself. But he (Steinbrenner?) has made mistakes with the pitching staff the last year or so. Leiber should indeed have been resigned. They took a giant chance taking him on as a rehab project in the first place and once he started pitching creditably they let him go.

The Weaver/Brown trade doesn't look very good either. Weaver will never be a big star but he ceratainly could have been a serviceable 3rd or 4th starting pitcher, as he is now with the Dodgers. Why pick up a 39-year old pitcher?

Ditto with the Randy Johnson trade. Vasquez may not be quite as good as they hoped he would be, but he will win another 100 games in his career, a lot more than Randy will. Halsey was good enough to be called up mid-season last year and may also be decent.

Likewise, the Loaiza trade looks bad. Contreras, according to Torre, had "electrifying" stuff.

I never understood why they didn't start El Duque in the Boston series. He was throwing and they judged Brown was the better risk. Feh. He was by far their best pitcher in the second half last year.

The team simply doesn't have good enough starting pitching to make the post-season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The team Cashman inherited was Sticks. Stick and Bob Watson built that dynasty. Cashman has really sucked sans Matsui.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:42 PM

andy, i agree with pretty much everything in your post (except i do not think the season is over), but look at all the injuries. wright, pavano, brown, what major league team can absorb 3 injuries to big contract pitchers? im not saying those 3 are premier pitchers, they are not by a mile, but what pitching staff wouldn't crumble under that?

So on one hand yes, right now the starting pitching we have is hopelessly inadequate. But while rj and brown are old, and wright and pavano are overrated, when the season started our rotation was not awful. The only mistake I saw without hindsight was not resigning Leiber. That was the only decision I thought (back then) was really bad. Vasquez, Weaver, Loiza, Contreras, you can't really be telling me you regretting seeing them go? Nobody was saying (apart from the Leiber move, or lack thereof) "The Yankees have totally [censored] up, you can't be trading Vasquez and Contreras, they're going to be great next year!".
Old 07-15-2005, 10:51 PM

Wang is, apparently, out for the season. So right now there's Mussina and Johnson and ????? They're playing in Texas and in Anaheim after this series. I would say that if they're still within five games of first place by a week from Sunday they'll have done pretty well. Johnson and Mussina will have to win all three games they pitch in order for them to have any kind of chance at doing that.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 PM

wang is out?...... uuuughhghghghghghfgsdff

this just gets worse and worse

Old 07-15-2005, 10:58 PM

wang tore his rotator cuff, it is serious and he might miss more than one season, i wish him the best, i really enjoyed watching him pitch. i hope he will still have an excellent career.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:18 PM

He threw 91-92, had good movement and some maturity for a kid. I thought he had a chance to be pretty good. Hopefully he still does.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:02 AM

btw, i want to point out for those whio didnt realize it, but when adam stern singled (for his first MLB base hit) derek jeter rolled the ball into/towards the sox dugout without anyone having to ask for it.

class act that kid. calm eyes also [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2005, 12:07 AM

seriously, what can you do when 3 of your starting 5 pitchers and first replacement get injured?