Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: State of the Forum

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...you beat 3/6 for 3BB/100. Any reasonably intelligent card player card do this

[/ QUOTE ]
This is stupid.

EDIT: I'm only 20 though, so I'm almost surely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 34, and agree. 3BB/100 at ANY limit devoid of massive retards is difficult. To make it sound pedestrian is simply inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob and Evan:

It is fairly pathetic and entirely unproductive to carve out this particular statement from my post in an attempt to discredit the entire post in general. OK, so you feel the statement contains hyperbole. Fine. Point noted. But that particular quantification is almost entirely irrelevant to the post. To discredit my "feelings" and my "point of view" by implying that because I made a statement about the potential win rate of others that you feel is unattainable is another logical fallacy.

More importantly, your replies to me are fine examples of the point of my original statement, a statement made without any particular posters in mind.

Again... IMHO, there is a lack of humility and acceptance that permeates the forum; some of this due to age and unworldliness. This is not a criticism but, rather, a point of view. I am quite comfortable with my statements within this post and I have no illusion that it will change the forum world here. Take it, leave it, let it enter your consciousness and leave. But please understand that my comments are not personal. Peace.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...you beat 3/6 for 3BB/100. Any reasonably intelligent card player card do this

[/ QUOTE ]
This is stupid.

EDIT: I'm only 20 though, so I'm almost surely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 34, and agree. 3BB/100 at ANY limit devoid of massive retards is difficult. To make it sound pedestrian is simply inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

To discredit my "feelings" and my "point of view" by implying that because I made a statement about the potential win rate of others that you feel is unattainable is another logical fallacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of us did that. We did not say, "Because you said this, EVERYTHING you say is discounted." All we said was, "This is wrong", which should be obviuos from the fact that it is the part of your statement that we quoted.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:24 AM

No problem then. Sorry if I misinterpreted your comments. As an aside, and I am as guilty as anyone, when reading and commenting we make various suppositions - in my case as it related to you and Evan - I supposed that since you chose to make a point of 1 paticular item then there was an inference that you were "discounting" the more substantive aspects of the post. In this, I was wrong (apparently) and will give myself a dose of the medicine that I wanted to dole out to you. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I am guilty of my own charge. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 05:27 PM

What can I say about the SS Forum of the past few days that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan; It looks bombed out and depleted.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:35 PM

i remember there was a time when i was getting help on ym hands from sfer, evan, CDC, and other small stakers.

but that time has passed... many of us have moved up, and even though we try to help, the board keeps filling up with garbage.

i've noticed that sfer and CDC and some other OG posters don't even post here anymore (or like once a week, i'm the same way)

so maybe it's time to pass the torch, and let other people do what they want...soon they'll notice that the forum sucks and they'll write a thread to try to fix it

or they won't, who cares
Old 07-08-2005, 05:40 PM

you can see my interest in the ss forum is entirely dead as i have just seen this thread for the very first time now. unfortunately there are too many replies for me to read through but i do recognize the problem that youve pointed out and i find that there is very little you can do about it.

i propose the following as a solution despite the fact that it will never see implimentation. i feel that there should be a forum where only voted posters can post. anyone is allowed to lurk but only specific people are allowed to post their remarks there. each month, or couple of months, each member of the forum nominates a new member from the public forum to join the elite forum. a poll is held listing every player's names and only the elite members are allowed to vote on whether each selected name can become a member or not.

i do not think it is fair to hide the advice of intelligent posters from novice ones, but at the same time it is important that we clean up the posts of these forums by removing novice content.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:08 PM

That this post is correct is sad.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That this post is correct is sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should just admit that SS now sucks and will suck forever. Really, don't take this the wrong way, but get over it.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:21 PM

What if somebody setup a forum and nobody posted?

My proposal would that anyone who thinks the SS forum is no longer useful and beyond repair take two months off from posting and possibly reading and see what it looks like after that.

It is entirely possible that one out grows a forum. At first, the posts are over your head; then you start to really get value from the posts and develop relationships with other posters; and then the posts start to seem less and less interesting (especially as your own contributions become among the strongest the forum has to offer (not my situation, mind you)). This may not be due to the quality of the posts in the long-run (discounting post-quality-variance) but rather your own development as a player and thinker.

Anyway, I'm thinking this will be my last post for awhile. Not that anyone will miss me. I think I've gotten way more than I've contributed which is not to say I've haven't made the effort. But as my posts have usually been seen as low quality I've tended to spend more time reading and less time posting. Hate to feel like I'm wasting people's time (only 400+ posts in over 6 months).

Good luck all. I'll be lurking around from time to time. I hope things start to look up around here.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if somebody setup a forum and nobody posted?

My proposal would that anyone who thinks the SS forum is no longer useful and beyond repair take two months off from posting and possibly reading and see what it looks like after that.

It is entirely possible that one out grows a forum. At first, the posts are over your head; then you start to really get value from the posts and develop relationships with other posters; and then the posts start to seem less and less interesting (especially as your own contributions become among the strongest the forum has to offer (not my situation, mind you)). This may not be due to the quality of the posts in the long-run (discounting post-quality-variance) but rather your own development as a player and thinker.

Anyway, I'm thinking this will be my last post for awhile. Not that anyone will miss me. I think I've gotten way more than I've contributed which is not to say I've haven't made the effort. But as my posts have usually been seen as low quality I've tended to spend more time reading and less time posting. Hate to feel like I'm wasting people's time (only 400+ posts in over 6 months).

Good luck all. I'll be lurking around from time to time. I hope things start to look up around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in kind of the same boat as you. I don't really think this place sucks. Occasionally there is some good stuff.

However most of the people complaining are the type that only respond to their "buddies" posts anyway.

So it is more of a "my clique has become stale" situation, rather than the forum no longer having something to offer.

That said I am going to drop off for a couple months. There are 4 good books that I would like to read. I am going to lurk, but hopefully by September or so, some of the complainers will either have moved on, or decided to take a new approach.
Closed Thread