Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Answer To Patient77

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
please please answer my question...i am dying for a response. a response directly related to you hiding behind your computer screen question. i really really don't think anyone, above the age of 13, can be that stupid. and for the last time, if you respond with the same babble about the media and over sensitivity and the fact that you not thinking asians are inferior makes it ok, i will leave this post forever. i'm sure everyone at two plus two will appreciate it.

mmcd, please, all im asking for is a response to the question. you say the reason many people won't make these type of jokes in a live game is obvious. TELL ME WHY. don't comment about anything else in your next post, just explain to someone like me why. is it because you are gonna look like a douchebag to make racial jokes like this in public? if so, why would you be any less of a douchebag to do it in an online poker room? answer this, im begging you to.

patient77

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is simple. In the online poker forum you can use a picture to represent "you". The image I chose originally was Cartman from South Park, and I played that character in my chat. Then I switched it to "cheeky chappy" from "Banzai!" who is obviously asian himself and was involved in a show with many stereotypes of asians, and now I act out that character in the online setting.

In a live setting I obviously do not have a picture representing me and thus will be myself since saying "velly rice" to an asian person when I am not obviously in character as online wouldn't look right.

[/ QUOTE ]

even though this is the absolute dumbest excuse/reason i've ever read and i'm definitely dumber for actually reading it, you did respond so i'll leave this post finally.

"who is obviously asian himself and was involved in a show with many stereotypes of asians, and now I act out that character in the online setting."

i cannot believe how stupid a line that is.....

i gotta go find a picture of Abu from the Simpsons, put it as my Poker Stars picture, and start making jokes about Indians and Indian-Americans. even though i'm not indian, I do have an indian friend, so it makes it okay for me to make fun of Indians because I'm ridiculing and imitating a character from mainstream TV. TO EVERYONE, no, im not a jackass for doing so, i'm expressing my right to make fun of others and am gonna try to fulfill my lifelong dream to be more like Grandgnu. in no way do i think Indians are inferior to me, so that makes it okay, because that means that my jokes aren't racist or demeaning, its all in the name of comedy.

Does my making fun of Indians, (and their accents), meet your standard of high comedy, Grandgnu? You and I will be pioneers in comedy, contact me if you'd like to give me pointers.

pateint77 out...
Old 11-12-2004, 05:21 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Answer To Patient77

[ QUOTE ]
even though this is the absolute dumbest excuse/reason i've ever read and i'm definitely dumber for actually reading it, you did respond so i'll leave this post finally.

"who is obviously asian himself and was involved in a show with many stereotypes of asians, and now I act out that character in the online setting."

i cannot believe how stupid a line that is.....

i gotta go find a picture of Abu from the Simpsons, put it as my Poker Stars picture, and start making jokes about Indians and Indian-Americans. even though i'm not indian, I do have an indian friend, so it makes it okay for me to make fun of Indians because I'm ridiculing and imitating a character from mainstream TV. TO EVERYONE, no, im not a jackass for doing so, i'm expressing my right to make fun of others and am gonna try to fulfill my lifelong dream to be more like Grandgnu. in no way do i think Indians are inferior to me, so that makes it okay, because that means that my jokes aren't racist or demeaning, its all in the name of comedy.

Does my making fun of Indians, (and their accents), meet your standard of high comedy, Grandgnu? You and I will be pioneers in comedy, contact me if you'd like to give me pointers.

pateint77 out...

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, look at it this way: What if someone took a picture of an Italian mobster from a movie, and then went into the online poker rooms and said stuff like "bada bing!" and "fugghedabouddit!" or "sleep with the fishies"

This would be EXACTLY the same as what I'm doing with the asian character I'm imitating, but would you consider the Italian stuff "offensive" or just an imitation/roleplaying of a character as seen in mainstream entertainment?

Is it ok to imitate Italian mobsters because it's socially acceptable? Or should I, being 25% Italian, be "offended" by this characterization of Italians as mobsters?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:26 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: To Liz L

[ QUOTE ]
I think she was just trying to say that you are too dumb to realize that you are not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

So again, anytime someones views on anything (humor, politics, etc.) don't agree with YOURS they must be dumb, a douche bag, an idiot, have a low IQ, etc.

These type of comments pretty much show the original poster to believe themselves to be superior to another person (i.e. they believe they possess a higher intelligence and that only their views and arguements are correct)

This type of post pretty much says "someone with a low IQ cannot have the correct outlook and views on life and various situations, a person with a higher IQ is more "right" than they are"

But you could then look at a white supremacist who may be very intelligent as far as high IQ goes, but still believes that other non-whites are worthless and should be wiped out. This either stems from their upbringing (i.e. the whites is superior crap was shoved down their throats) or they have had bad experiences with a certain group and thus assume that everyone of that group is bad.

Now counter that with someone of average or below average intelligence who doesn't judge others in such a way. Is the person with the lower IQ wrong because someone with a higher IQ believes something different and must be correct because of their IQ?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Players Who Report Your Chat Online

I read some of the replies to your post and nobody seems to have said the obvious.

It's boring.
It stops people from chatting about something more interesting. (In fact anything is more interesting)
In answer to your repeated "you can block me" comments, I can block you but I'll still get your name and a bunch of stars after it scrolling the chat box as fast as it can go.

People play poker to be entertained, or to earn some money.
The latter probably don't care what you do, but the former don't want some apparently half witted child talking utter spew for an hour or two of their lives, they are probably trying to escape from their kids for a while.

If you think it's funny, say it out loud, nobody can hear you and you can have a good laugh.

Lori
Old 11-12-2004, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read some of the replies to your post and nobody seems to have said the obvious.

It's boring.
It stops people from chatting about something more interesting. (In fact anything is more interesting)
In answer to your repeated "you can block me" comments, I can block you but I'll still get your name and a bunch of stars after it scrolling the chat box as fast as it can go.

People play poker to be entertained, or to earn some money.
The latter probably don't care what you do, but the former don't want some apparently half witted child talking utter spew for an hour or two of their lives, they are probably trying to escape from their kids for a while.

If you think it's funny, say it out loud, nobody can hear you and you can have a good laugh.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Oye Vey. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean others at the table all feel the same. There are plenty of people who have enjoyed my comments at the tables and have joined in or acted out their own little characters.

And perhaps I wrote things wrong, but I'm not typing over and over non-stop for hours with this stuff. I just toss it out every once in awhile.

Actually, the only thing that has gotten me in trouble is the "BIG HARD WEINA" comments, the other stuff doesn't seem to bother PokerStars support.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:52 AM

g,

i find it very interesting that towards the end of this thread you have made a statement that "of course i wouldn't walk up to an asian person and make these jokes, when i'm out of character, they wouldn't make sense." you have also repeatedly argued that since various stereotypes are used in the media they are ok to be used in private. additionally, you have repeatedly said that you do not believe that reinforcing and repeating negative and 'funny' stereotypes is a racist action.

i think that many people *do* protest and complain about racial stereotyping and mimicking in the media. particularly, i would assume, asian american people or just asian people would be insulted and complain about negative stereotypes of broken english, etc, used in tv and in movies. they don't care that they are seeing it in the media, they care that they are offended by it.

they are offended by it because the nature of that form of "humor" is to make a person or group of people feel inferior or strange because they do something differently than the normal way. thus, they really wouldn't care if you were "in character" or not, because they find the character itself derogatory and offensive. you should not joke in such a manner simply because you are hidden behind a computer screen, since, well, there might be an asian person on the other side, who you wouldn't joke in the same fashion to their face.

so, to recap: the reason stereotypes are racist is because they demean and devalue people of the targetted race. the definition of offensive is "something that offends a person," so if people are offended enough to complain about it, that means it was clearly offensive to them. people are allowed to complain to the site to have your chat blocked because it is in the terms of service.

anyway, there's pages more to expound on what incredibly poor taste and behavior you have displayed, but it's really damn late, so i'm just going to go to sleep. i think that if you read this you should take SPECIAL NOTE of the fact that when asked why you wouldn't do this stuff in a real life situationn you specified that you wouldn't say such things to an asian person, not that you wouldn't say them at all. i find this very telling. is it your belief that clearly everyone else would immediately "get" your joke and think it hilarious, and that the asian people would just not be getting your joke?

citanul
Old 11-12-2004, 05:56 AM

And perhaps I wrote things wrong, but I'm not typing over and over non-stop for hours with this stuff. I just toss it out every once in awhile

Well, for me at least, that's a little different then.

What I would say is that if people are complaining you are upsetting your customers and this isn't the best thing to do.
Maybe you should open up with some more tame stuff before you get an idea if the people seated are the sort that are going to take it or not.

If you owned an expensive restaurant and a customer with a bad wig came in, you would be foolish to ask how they got their hair through customs without it going into quarantine, if the customer then started making jokes about the decor, you might fire him such a line, but otherwise you'd keep it amongst the staff.

In my opinion it is wise to look after your customers in the poker world too.

Lori
Old 11-12-2004, 06:16 AM

Default Re: To Citanul

[ QUOTE ]
g,

i find it very interesting that towards the end of this thread you have made a statement that "of course i wouldn't walk up to an asian person and make these jokes, when i'm out of character, they wouldn't make sense." you have also repeatedly argued that since various stereotypes are used in the media they are ok to be used in private. additionally, you have repeatedly said that you do not believe that reinforcing and repeating negative and 'funny' stereotypes is a racist action.

i think that many people *do* protest and complain about racial stereotyping and mimicking in the media. particularly, i would assume, asian american people or just asian people would be insulted and complain about negative stereotypes of broken english, etc, used in tv and in movies. they don't care that they are seeing it in the media, they care that they are offended by it.

they are offended by it because the nature of that form of "humor" is to make a person or group of people feel inferior or strange because they do something differently than the normal way. thus, they really wouldn't care if you were "in character" or not, because they find the character itself derogatory and offensive. you should not joke in such a manner simply because you are hidden behind a computer screen, since, well, there might be an asian person on the other side, who you wouldn't joke in the same fashion to their face.

so, to recap: the reason stereotypes are racist is because they demean and devalue people of the targetted race. the definition of offensive is "something that offends a person," so if people are offended enough to complain about it, that means it was clearly offensive to them. people are allowed to complain to the site to have your chat blocked because it is in the terms of service.

anyway, there's pages more to expound on what incredibly poor taste and behavior you have displayed, but it's really damn late, so i'm just going to go to sleep. i think that if you read this you should take SPECIAL NOTE of the fact that when asked why you wouldn't do this stuff in a real life situationn you specified that you wouldn't say such things to an asian person, not that you wouldn't say them at all. i find this very telling. is it your belief that clearly everyone else would immediately "get" your joke and think it hilarious, and that the asian people would just not be getting your joke?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I would say it to an asian person, I HAVE said this stuff to asian people. But these are people I know.

I understand the whole complaint about doing it with strangers online where you're anonymous instead of in-person face to face.

The thing is, look at it this way: If someone uses a picture of an Italian mobster on PokerStars, and then plays that character and says "bada boom, bada bing!" or "fugghedaboudit!" would this be "offensive" to Italians? I am 25% Italian. Should I go running to support because I feel that this person believes that ALL Italians are mobsters?

Should I sue the Prince company because Wednesdays are Prince Spaghetti days and my name is Anthony so all I ever heard was "Anthaaanneeeey!" all the time from people on Wednesdays? Is the spaghetti company being "racist" because they're implying that Italians eat Pasta!?!? Oh my goodness!

FACT: Many Italians eat pasta. Italians have also been linked with mob activities. Does this apply to all of them? No, but it's still something that is attributed with Italians

FACT: Many asians have problems speaking english with certain letters not working correctly for them. Does this mean that ALL asian people fall into this category? No, but it still has relevance in their population.

Would you say that the Italian stereotypes are more or less acceptable than the Asian ones, or both are the same in being unacceptable? And if there is a difference between the two, what is it? why would it be ok to make the Italian comments but not the asian ones?
Old 11-12-2004, 06:18 AM

Default Re: To Lorinda

[ QUOTE ]
And perhaps I wrote things wrong, but I'm not typing over and over non-stop for hours with this stuff. I just toss it out every once in awhile

Well, for me at least, that's a little different then.

What I would say is that if people are complaining you are upsetting your customers and this isn't the best thing to do.
Maybe you should open up with some more tame stuff before you get an idea if the people seated are the sort that are going to take it or not.

If you owned an expensive restaurant and a customer with a bad wig came in, you would be foolish to ask how they got their hair through customs without it going into quarantine, if the customer then started making jokes about the decor, you might fire him such a line, but otherwise you'd keep it amongst the staff.

In my opinion it is wise to look after your customers in the poker world too.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. I usually don't bring this stuff into the real money tables. I'm too focused there to be bothering with this stuff. But let's say in a freeroll or play money when I'm just farting around, then "cheeky chappy" comes out.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Re: To Citanul

[ QUOTE ]

FACT: Many asians have problems speaking english with certain letters not working correctly for them. Does this mean that ALL asian people fall into this category? No, but it still has relevance in their population.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mocking their handicap, that has nothing to do with a stereotype. They have a problem speaking english correctly.

What you are doing is the same as putting a picture of somebody with half their fingers missing and then saying everytime you miss a draw, where is the rest of my hand.

Either way, you really aren't funny.