Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: What is your rent?

[ QUOTE ]
hey ElD why are you using a broker to find you a rental property anyway? [censored], i'd drive up to nyc and find one for you one for cheaper than he could.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I decide to move to NYC, I'll go out of my way to not use a broker.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's probably true, and I'm quite a bit older than many here. But it doesn't make it any less sick.

Here is a fun fact for those of you outside of NYC. In NYC, if you rent an apartment that costs $4k/month (which is a very nice one bedroom or a decent two bedroom in nice neighborhoods), your move in cost could easily be as high as : first month + last month + security (month) + 2 months broker fee = $20,000 up front to move in to $4k/mo apartment!!!! How sick is that!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

You paint an accurate picture, but I did always wonder why someone who had the credit and could afford an apartment that expensive in NYC wouldn't be able to put a down payment on a similar apartment.

Also, just curious, what neighborhoods have you been looking at in NYC?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I go to NYC, which is about a 50/50 proposition right now, I'd most likely stay there for about 2 years. I can also likely afford to live in a nicer place renting than I'd be comfortable buying. FWIW, a number of my friends in NYC have recently sold their places and plan on renting for a couple of years before buying again.

As for neighborhoods, I've mainly looked at Union Square, East Village, and Tribeca.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can also likely afford to live in a nicer place renting than I'd be comfortable buying. FWIW, a number of my friends in NYC have recently sold their places and plan on renting for a couple of years before buying again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does finding a nicer place to stay really offset spending 100K in rent over the next 2 years (same thing for SF, I'm sure) and getting no equity in return?

Also, are your friends are adopting this strategy because they expect real estate values to drop in the next couple years?

[ QUOTE ]
As for neighborhoods, I've mainly looked at Union Square, East Village, and Tribeca.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's somewhat shocking to me that apartments in the EV go for the same prices that they do in those other two neighborhoods, but I guess that's show business. Good luck in NYC if you wind up there. I'm living out West now and sort of miss it.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 months broker fee = $20,000

[/ QUOTE ]
You can almost always negotiate the broker fee below 1K these guys are competing with other brokers on most listings and usually pretty much have to take what you offer them. I have gone through brokers twice and gotten them to take 500 each time. Both had rents in the 2000-2500 range.
Neither will probably ever work with me again but there are hundreds of them in the city so there isnt much of a cost to mistreating them.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:39 AM

$2400/month.

2br/2ba about 1200 sqf i believe. paulus hook section of JC which is pretty nice. 6 story apartment building, about 130 units total. view of statue of liberty, ellis island, brooklyn, etc. i live by myself but work out of home so hence the extra bedroom which is my office.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:45 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Yeah, that was confusing, my bad.

The first floor has 4 people living there too. However, it's 2 seperate units, so if the 1st floor is empty, second floor doesn't have to pay $3600 that month instead of the $1800.

[/ QUOTE ]
I got the car part ... now I'm confused about the rent. Have you been drinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't confusing people.

2 units. 4 bedrooms per unit. Shared parking for everyone.

Each unit is $1800/month.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:59 AM

$2500 a month. 21st floor, water/garbage paid for. Manhattan, in Gramercy. My place is a steal. I rent a friend's condo.

My view.

Since I graduated from college, I've paid less than 1K a month for exactly 1 year. I've lived in San Francisco and Manhattan.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:48 PM

last place I rented a year ago was a large (by nyc standards) 2br in nyc (williamsburg, graham ave stop on L) for 1300/month.

I must say I am very surprised at how much non nyc/ca ppl pay in rent.

--turnipmonster
Old 09-06-2005, 01:25 PM

3BR, huge. $2200 total.

NYC, Washington Heights. A steal for the area, (North of 181, West of Fort Washington), as rents up here are approaching those of UES prices.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:22 PM

$1000 (my share of a 2-bedroom apartment in the DC area).

Jeff