Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Days of Your Life as a Sports Fan

Best: Nebraska beating Florida 62-24 to win Natl championship in 95. I was sitting in the Florida section.

Wort: Bartman
Old 08-05-2005, 04:27 PM

Best Moments:

T1. Leyritz HR in 1996 Game 4. Hadn't been spoiled by Yanks championships yet. This was a critical HR as Rogers had sucked and if we were in a 3-1 hole I think it would have been really tough to come back against the Braves.

T1. Allan Houston jumper in 1999 Game 5. This was amazing. It took forever for it to go through the bucket.

T1. Yanks ALCS 2003 Game 7. I think plenty have said enough about this game.

Worst Moments:

T1. 2004 ALCS, especially Damon's grand slam. This was the moment the reality of the Yankees losing this series set in.

T1. 2001 World Series Game 7. The thought of Mariano blowing the save did not even occur to me. I thought the Yanks had already won the championship going into the 9th.

T3. Starks called for travelling at end of Game 4 1996 vs. Bulls. I really thought the Knicks had a chance to take out the Bulls if they had won this game and tied the series 2-2, but it never happened. Starks tied the game but it didn't count.

T3. Knicks lose Game 6 v. Heat 1997. The Knicks had been in control this entire game and then let it slip away because Ewing and other Knicks were suspended... and the Garden fans weren't making any noise or riling up the Knicks while the Heat were coming back, frustrating...
Old 08-05-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best:

When the Texans kicked the Cowboys ass in their franchise opener. That place was louder than anything I have ever heard that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally forgot about that one. I was there too, calling all my buddies back in Dallas (where I currently live, though I grew up in Houston and am a huge Texans fan). They were annoyed that they couldn't even hear my smack talk, just a deafening noise coming across their phones that they could hear from 10 yards away -- not on speaker phone.

That was a GREAT sports night.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best:
Watching Washington State beat Washington in 1997 to go to the Rose Bowl for the first time in 68 years (and partying on the turf at Husky Stadium after the game).

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading this, it just got a little dusty in my apartment. Easily the best followed by Edgar's double, the Snow Bowl and the 87 Apple Cup.

The worst is easily the Apple Cup we lost in OT when we were #3 in the nation.... (2002?). I can't remember, don't wanna remember.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2nd is when Oregon St. kicked the sh*t out of Notre Dame in the Fiesta bowl. Another game I thoroughly enjoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am far from a fan of Notre Dame football. But I remember this game vividly and was disgusted by Oregon State's nonsense throughout the game. No class. Houshmandzadeh can't take enough hard hits for me to this day.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. They did have about 180(?) yards in penalties. Notre Dame still had no right (other than money) to be in that game. Seeing the AD of ND's face in the 2nd 1/2 as a deer in the headlights was priceless. Wish I had a poster of that look he had. Not to mention the whole first half the announcers were so ridiculously biased towards ND it made me sick. Took them 'til the 2nd 1/2 to realize there was another team on the field kicking the hell out of their 'beloved' ND. Screw ND.

Nebraska got screwed royally that year. They should've been in that game.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Like bernie says. OSU was crass, but that's exactly what the situation called for if you are the kind of person who dislikes ND and hated the fact that they ended up in that game for horrible reasons.

Also, as a NW football fan, seeing OSU win is kinda nice, because OSU and WSU (my team) are always the red-head stepchild to the UO and UW.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 AM

The best:

Major Applewhite leading Texas to a ridiculous comeback win over Washington in the 2001 Holiday Bowl. I've never been so emotional during a game before or since.

Texas over Nebraska, 1996, 1998, 1999, and 2002. Epic contests all.

Cowboys over Steelers, SB XXX.

Emmitt Smith's unbelievable half against the Vikings the week after Walter Payton died in 1999. I still wonder what he could have done that game had he not gotten hurt.

The worst:

Getting WTF PWNED by a god-damned expansion team in 2002. Pretty sure we're all on the level here.

Four miserable walks out of the Cotton Bowl during my undergrad years. Worst had to be 2001; I was less than thirty yards from the end zone when Roy Williams went over the top and [censored] up Simms' [censored]. Add that to the morbidly obese Texas A&M fan sitting next to me who'd bought from a scalper for the sole purpose of rooting against Texas at a COMPLETELY UNRELATED GAME, chuckling in his pig-mirth. Christ.

Derek Harper dribbling out the clock, behind by one point, against the Lakers in Game 6. I was pretty young, but my Dad went absolutely insane over that [censored].
Old 08-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Best: 49ers over Chargers in '94 Superbowl.
Ties: 1998 NFC Wild Card game (Packers @ Niners) and the 2002 NFC Wild card game (Giants @ Niners).

Worst: 2002-2003 NFCCG (Bucs @ Eagles). Never in a million years did I think the Bucs had ANY chance in the final game at the Vet. My Dad (worlds biggest Eagles fan) and I sat in shock for hours afterwards. We still can't talk about it, especially since we live in Central Florida.