Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Artest gone for year, other suspensions absurdly long

So Fans are untouchable to players but players most certainly aren't untouchable to fans. Wow that's the tradgic double standard that's causing these kinds of things.

Cody
Old 11-23-2004, 09:44 AM

Hi Clark,

My biggest problem with this fight was that Artest had the presence of mind not to fight Ben Wallace after he was shoved in the face, and the presence of mind to lie on the scorers table where he does not belong. Now, Fans have no right to throw anything on the court or come onto the court, but Artest now gets hit with a cup and suddenly see's red. He can't fight Ben Wallace, but he can start guessing at which fan may have thrown something at him? Sorry, but he needs to be punnished, as does the fan that threw the cup. The Palace should be ashamed and held accountable for the lack of security. But Artest got what he deserved. If he wants to fight Ben Wallace, then at least it stays on the court. He decided to go after someone smaller and risk the safety of others in the stands. That's the main point.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:45 AM

In additionn, on the back of every ticket to an NBA game it says that throwing objects onto the court isn't allowed, wow I love rules.

Cody
Old 11-23-2004, 09:53 AM

Did you read your post before hitting the submit button. You say that you aren't calling Artest a coward and then proceed to describe his situation and say that a person in that spot is a coward. Hmmm. The you say that anyone who'se opinion differs from yours must be a Pacer fan, as if logic is only reserved for those who don't like sports (or the NBA).
Lastly, and most troubling, you equate the situation to a school yard fight by comparing the beer throwing fan to an innocent "1st grader". My dear Lord, the fan wasn't innocent, I'm refering to the one Artest meant to hit, not the one he did hit (which is the real sad part here). The fan that threw the beer isn't some bystander, he made it a point to be in the action by hurling his drink.

Cody
Old 11-23-2004, 10:01 AM

Drac, I hate to say this but he's right, he was quoting my use of beat not implying that Artest did the beating. I understand why his pst might cause you to infer that, and I think it's totally understandable.
As to answer his post, as I've said before, the second the guy near me throws a cup, I'm gone. I'm running as fast as I can away from that situation, to avoid exactly what happend. That guy saw what happend and didn't leave, he even proceeded to yell at Artest as he was coming up.

Cody
Old 11-23-2004, 10:08 AM

I agree the two fat guys who rushed the floor deserved what they got but could you imagine the outfall if O'Neils's punch put the guy in a coma or worse...killing him?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:11 AM

All I will say is that I'm glad he slipped, Really glad.

Cody
Old 11-23-2004, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also I'm certain that there are many who gladly trade places with NBA players and collect the salaries that these guys make and deal with these problems. Put me on that list as one.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's just one problem. You can't play basketball worth crap and no one is going to spend $300 for a front row seat to watch you flounder on the court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a second here .... well you're right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 11-23-2004, 10:42 AM

I think that the bottom line here is that professional sports are a fan driven business. Players cant go into the stands and attack the customer period. You can point fingers and speculate on who is actually to blame. I heard one of the players involved say "we aren't animals in a zoo." Well actually you are. You are paid to play a game to entertain people. Beyond the physical consequences of attacking people, Artest hurt the bottom line of his team and the NBA. Stern has every right to make an example of him.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:26 AM

HDPM has this right on. The key is to deter future events like these from occuring. If a player is not concerned about what happens to him, perhaps he'll consider that the team that he expects to back him will be punnished as well.
Their were a couple of players that clearly had the presence of mind to try and stop the fight without throwing punches.

The message is clear: don't go in the stands and fight your customers.

FWIW, I also believe the Palace has accountability to protect the players and fans from unruly behavior. When you enter an arena as a fan or participant there is a reasonable expectation of security, for fans, players and other employees.