Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: I\'m very sorry

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the record I think a banning for these posts is absolutely rediculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was asked to make an apology (which is a bit wierd, but whatever, thats what 2+2 wanted)... so he goes and makes a post calling the moderators Nazis/Nazi Youth.

ban makes sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that Mason and Mat wouldn't react well to the use of the term Nazi.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:24 PM

couple more things...

[ QUOTE ]
*shrug* This is the way the world works. Walk into someone's backyard and call them names, and they will often ask you to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
*shrug* the world also works like this: if someone tells you that you need to apologize to them or you'll be forced to leave, even though you've done nothing wrong, you'll probably tell them to shove it and leave voluntarily.

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't like it, feel free to diatribe about it in your LiveJournal.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure paulp doesn't give a hoot, but as interested observers we might care more about it than he.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:30 PM

Convenient that you would overlook the impetus for this comparison. Namely, the outrageous deletion of the thread and Mason's subsequent email (in which he, not only, offered a vague threat of preemptive banishment but demanded copious apologies, the terms of which, he would dictate). As I write this, I now see that you are right: Mason isn't childish, just megalomaniacal. It was the child, you might remember, who saw that the Emperor had no clothes. Or maybe he was just naive?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, they were semi- interesting, but this guy isn't "brlliant" like everyones making him out to be. He's a smart guy no dobut, but he WILL NOT be missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he will be missed. You're mistaken.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:35 PM

I have a question for people participating. Is it acceptable for a private message of yours to be posted on these boards? I mean aside from unsolicited spam, don't most people have an expectation that their private message is something that will remain private?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
naivete? you tell me how you'd react to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were outraged and didn't want anything to do with the forum anymore, I'd ignore the request for an apology and stop posting. If I wanted to continue posting on the forum, I'd apologize for bringing a specific person's name into it and restate my gripe in a more constructive way.

I wouldn't ever use the term "Hitler youth," and I view his use of it (and amusement by it) as decidedly immature. If you don't see why I feel that way, substitute "gay" for "Hitler youth" and substitute a Party Poker chatbox for the 2+2 forum. If you think that means I have a stick up my ass, so be it.

(I'm certainly not saying everyone should behave like I do. You just asked how I would handle it.)

I really don't want to get embroiled too far in this whole thing. While I don't think I like Paul (never met him IRL), I don't dislike him either. And he's certainly smart and has a rare insight into topics often discussed on this board. But he's clearly on the immature side, and he takes pleasure in smashing taboos.

When you stomp on taboos and say ultra-provocative things, some people are going to tell you to take your dog and pony show somewhere else. To assume anything else is naive.

(FWIW, I find Paulp's Helmuth campaign to be ironic, though I'm sure the irony is intended.)
Old 11-09-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question for people participating. Is it acceptable for a private message of yours to be posted on these boards? I mean aside from unsolicited spam, don't most people have an expectation that their private message is something that will remain private?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that it is embarassing for Mason. Best way to avoid it probably is to not make PMs that will cause embarassment if posted in public.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: One owner who sets explicit rules for use of private property.

Two points:

1) The owner's actions undermine the service which he pretends to provide.

2) The punishment of the transgressor is symbolic and retributive; it is virtually unenforceable.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Context is key. When said private message includes a demand for a public apology, sure, I think it's fair game to post it on a message board.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:43 PM

Are you going to make me dig up an example of Mason doing same?
Closed Thread