Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Spend over $50?
Yes 7 23.33%
No 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 04:15 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over
Default Re: Circumcise my baby boy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have extreme doubts about the integrity of information coming from the "International Coalition of Genital Integrity" and a website called "circumstitions".

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, owned.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not owned at all. He didn't even bother to read the information before he downplayed it based solely on the name of the site on which some of it was hosted.

I don't see the phrase "International Coalition of Genital Integrity" anywhere on any of the three pages to which I linked anyway, but even if it were there, so what? If the information they present is backed up with credible sources, who cares what they call themselves?

Edit: Having said all that, there are certainly plenty of one-sided, unbalanced sites that are short on reliable information but do make plenty of unfounded arguments based mostly on emotion. So, I understand his doubt. I am just saying to at least look at the information before downplaying it.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:17 PM

Are you new to the internet or something?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:18 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over

Given that you say this:

[ QUOTE ]
Never been with an uncircumcised guy so I don't really have both perspectives

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say this:

[ QUOTE ]
given the choice...I'd choose circumcised by a LANDSLIDE.

[/ QUOTE ]

?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you new to the internet or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:30 PM

The homepage for the second link you listed starts with this.

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the Intactivism Pages

The struggle for genital integrity
and against the involuntary genital modification
of children of any sex:

Circumcision
Female Genital Mutilation
Involuntary Sex Reassignment

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I think it's a pretty good idea to start distrusting any website that smacks of having an agenda.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's nothing about what I've experienced, just my own hang-ups. I just think that given the choice, it's not something I would put my kid through if I had the choice, seeing as how I see minimal negatives to getting it done and potential negatives to not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was what i said, theres no benefits either way, but theres the potential for some kind of negatives (however slim they are) for not getting it done.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The homepage for the second link you listed starts with this.

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the Intactivism Pages

The struggle for genital integrity
and against the involuntary genital modification
of children of any sex:

Circumcision
Female Genital Mutilation
Involuntary Sex Reassignment

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I think it's a pretty good idea to start distrusting any website that smacks of having an agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I'll agree with that statement.

However, generally speaking, the mere fact that a site or source has an agenda does not mean that all information pointed to by that site or source is necessarily incorrect.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:30 PM

I'm cut... voted not to cut. I guess I'm "glad" that my penis is like most Americans, but I also think that it would be better for the norm to be uncut. It's a brutal, archaic practice that makes no sense in this day and age.

With all due respect to the doctor, you said there was no medical reason to circumcize... that's all you should say in your role as a doctor (to your patients). I hope you don't provide that same list to your patients and feel that you are not leading them to make the decision to circumsize. You are just perpetuating this unnecessary medical procedure, and I would hope that you would just say: "It's not medically necessary. The choice is up to you." Not "If it were up to me, I'd have him circumcised." Knowing it's not medically necessary, I'm not sure how you can feel this is consistent with your Hippocratic Oath.

I saw the Penn & Teller episode where they covered circumcision. They were especially harsh critics toward the women that think that uncircumcised penises are gross. If you are a woman that thinks that, I would hope that you would think long and hard about what that simple opinion is doing.

/rant
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 PM

How would it be against his oath to give his opinion? Theres a lot of factors in it, and if they ask what he thinks, theres no reason he should hold back.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would it be against his oath to give his opinion? Theres a lot of factors in it, and if they ask what he thinks, theres no reason he should hold back.

[/ QUOTE ]

To unnecessarily cause harm is against the Hippocratic oath. Yes, I think that cutting off a part of someone's body is "harm". Especially the penis.