FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Spend over $50?
Yes 7 23.33%
No 23 76.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Circumcise my baby boy?

[ QUOTE ]
How would it be against his oath to give his opinion? Theres a lot of factors in it, and if they ask what he thinks, theres no reason he should hold back.

[/ QUOTE ]

To unnecessarily cause harm is against the Hippocratic oath. Yes, I think that cutting off a part of someone's body is "harm". Especially the penis.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
I saw the Penn & Teller episode where they covered circumcision. They were especially harsh critics toward the women that think that uncircumcised penises are gross. If you are a woman that thinks that, I would hope that you would think long and hard about what that simple opinion is doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. but how do you feel about boob jobs ?
(not saying it is the same thing, but the whole "look what you're opinion is contributing to" thing made me think of it)
also i am pretty sure if it was the other way around, and an after birth snip made something about a womans body more appealing to a man, they would be all for it.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree. but how do you feel about boob jobs ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nearly as many American women have boob jobs as American men have circumcisions... but... I think women should not feel pressured to alter their bodies. Honestly, I think natural is more beautiful.

[ QUOTE ]
also i am pretty sure if it was the other way around, and an after birth snip made something about a womans body more appealing to a man, they would be all for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not be. If a woman chooses to do something, then that's one thing. But, to force a baby to surgically alter their body because we feel that it's more attractive... is... barbaric.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:42 PM

if i recall correctly (i will look it up if challenged) Rabbi Ram Bam (a renowned doctor of his age) cited the following reason for circumcision (this was in the dark ages).

uncircumcized men are so far superior sexually, that a woman would be under his spell and would not have the power to leave him. hence, it is a rational choice for a man to be circumsized, as it will leave his woman lucid and force him to treat her better.

uncircumsized by a landslide.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:56 AM

The literature says that something like 60% of baby boys in America aren't circumcised, so I don't think he'll be looked at funny either way.

My wife & I just had a son & we both wanted to, but I shared your hesitation to circumcise him, as I think that part of a man's body should always be treated nicely. I pictured him coming back screaming and angry and scared and in pain.

But, truthfully, it took 15 minutes & he was just really drowsy afterwards. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think really either way is fine. If he's not, plenty of kids won't be. If he is, its not nearly as traumatic an experience as you may think it will be.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife & I just had a son & we both wanted to, but I shared your hesitation to circumcise him, as I think that part of a man's body should always be treated nicely. I pictured him coming back screaming and angry and scared and in pain.

But, truthfully, it took 15 minutes & he was just really drowsy afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, why did you decide to do it?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife's family is Christian so she had convictions about it. I'm also in the circumcised club myself and I figured if it was something he may do later anyhow, it'd be less traumatic in his newborn days than it would later.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife's family is Christian so she had convictions about it. I'm also in the circumcised club myself and I figured if it was something he may do later anyhow, it'd be less traumatic in his newborn days than it would later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do any of you people who are against circumcision for pain reasons really think a baby will remember?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do any of you people who are against circumcision for pain reasons really think a baby will remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

Will it remember it, No?

Might it cause some very deep seeded psychological traumma? could be
Old 10-25-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife's family is Christian so she had convictions about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I suppose. However, for other Christians out there that are considering cirumcision for religious reasons, I should point out the following Biblical passage:

[ QUOTE ]
Galatians 5:2-12 (NIV)
2| Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3| Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4| You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5| But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6| For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

7| You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? 8| That kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you. 9| "A little yeast works through the whole batch of dough." 10| I am confident in the Lord that you will take no other view. The one who is throwing you into confusion will pay the penalty, whoever he may be. 11| Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12| As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

[/ QUOTE ]