Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: My story

[ QUOTE ]
I decided awhile back that I was going to focus on school, getting better at poker, having a good relationship with my friends, and having a good relationship with my girlfriend this last year of school instead of figuring out investments. I looked into some retirement accounts with my accountant, but didn't file as a professional, so could only put like 1300 in one. Most of the rest of my money is in ING, earning 3% interest (in other words, doing nothing because of inflation).

One of my goals this summer is to start learning about investing more seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hire a professional to help you with your investments and start putting your money to work. When you have time, learn about money management and investment stuff. Until then, pay a pro to do it. Doing it yourself (or leaving the money in ING) is -EV.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So my friend, who has overheard this whole speech, turns to the man and says, "hey, if that kid ever goes bust, I will personally suck your dick."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like your friend is looking for a reason.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:56 AM

Just by reading that post it seems like you went from losing..a lot..to winning, and the winning never stopped (only a few times after you got up a ridiculous amount). Good story though, hope it works out like that for me.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 AM

Have you ever even needed to drop down in limits due to a downswing? Seems from your post like you went from .5/1 to 15/30 in like 3 months, and then from 15/30 to 300-600 without ever dropping back down..how long did it actually take you to go from 2/4 to 300/600? from your post you make it seem like it took a few months, heh.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 AM

His meteoric rise in limits is amazing, yet entirely possible for someone that works very hard, puts in a lot of hours, and enjoys a mildly lucky streak. He was, sometimes, taking shots at higher games, willing to move down quickly if he lost, yet kept moving up compounding a, relatively, good run of cards, and soft opponents in high limit games.

He plays a very strong game though, so really his eventual success was just a matter of time and number of hands.

I find his quick psychological adaptation to winning/losing larger amounts of money most interesting of all. It seems almost imposible for someone like me. Yet it is right there to see.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"hey, if that kid ever goes bust, I will personally suck your dick."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an impersonal way to do that?.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:53 AM

I would say he owes alot to the march streak at 5/10.

1000 --> 10k in 3 weeks.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:27 PM

I had to drop down to .5/1 twice before never looking back at 2/4.

Once I hit 15/30 I never moved down. I tried 50/100 in november and lost 7k+ and went back to 15/30 until feb, where I tried the 50 again.

I wrote a timeline out, take a look at that.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"hey, if that kid ever goes bust, I will personally suck your dick."

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there an impersonal way to do that?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off topic, but: definitely.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: re: parental commentary and bk\'s story

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Addiction, I bet there isn't one long term winning player who is addicted. Its boring, its work, and it sucks slightly less than working a job with a bunch of addicts.

66% of Americans abuse drugs or alcohol. (google it) That is 2 of 3 people. It is rampant. I have worked white collar jobs where I KNOW 40% of the white collar employees in my building fell into the addict category. It is ridiculous.

I would guess 7 out of 10 jobs offer no positive societal contribution.

99 out of 100 salesmen are lieing cheating crooks. I'm talking stockbrokers, Investment advisors, Loan officers, and zillions of other sales jobs where your main goal is to screw the customer for as much as you can get them for and let customer service smooth it over. I was one.

Everytime I hear this argument, I ask about Tiger Woods. What does he provide society? Entertainment? Semi-Pro golfers gamble every tournament, and for them its the only way to get to where Tiger is so they can do what Tiger does for Society.

Yes Janitors clean toilets... Great for society.

Any parent that would wish their child to have a respectable job surrounded by addicts has a codependence on society and is no better than a crack addict.

IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Most people work regular jobs, so they tend to overstate what a "contribution" really is, and how normal and healthy standard adult behavior is. If you really looked at how maladjusted society in general is by counting up the eating and drinking and drug disorders, the neurotic compulsions and compensations, the crime, moral hollowness, sex problems, religious buffoonery, and general misery common even among the most polished, glossily happy, camera-worth "success" stories, the unvarnished look at reality you'd put together would make the standard 40 or 50 or more years of 9 to 5 enslavement seem a lot worse than most any of us would ever feel comfortable admitting it is.

It's sad and funny working in offices, like I mostly have, where everyone is trying to pretend he's doing great and almost everyone seems addicted to something harmful or in some way very obviously screwed up. It's like, I won't admit that my wife is a miserable fat harridan and my kids barely even know me, and I don't know how I would get through the week without being toasted, if you won't admit you pretend to be devotedly religious and moral, but really you screw over everyone you possibly have a chance to and have too many neuroses to count, and if Fred doesn't admit he cheats on his wife because it's the only joy he has in his whole imserable life and Tom pretends he doesn't know everyone think's he's a snotty weasel and Pamela doesn't admit she's bulemic and has a crippling lack of self-confidence so she only feels comfortable with men who abuse her and John would never acknowledge that he is a pathological liar and we'll never know that it's Shirley who keeps compulsively stealing things around the place, etc. The world sometimes seems like an ambulatory hospital ward, yet people have the nerve to say that living life in any way off the beaten track provides nothing but unparalleled misery and/or moral peril. When people say that there's only one way to live and you really think about how they're living and how happy they really are, a lot of their professed opinions crumble into meaninglessness and sound like little more than cover stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd probably enjoy this article from The Onion.

U.S. Populace Lurches Methodically Through the Motions for Yet Another Day