Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: More pictures of alcohol

The cocktail book I recommended contains a brief history of many of the recipes it lists. That last drink got its name from the club in which it was born - the Pegu Club. It apparently made the place world famous in the late 20's and early 30's, and deservingly so. Really, all the drinks listed in that book are targeted at Scotch drinkers - those who appreciate complex, strong flavors - but who also like a change of pace. I was fortunate enough to pick up a copy when the author was still selling signed copies directly on Amazon. That's about the only place you can find it anymore. If you like these suggestions, you'd probably like just about everything it lists. Here's one more worth trying, even if it doesn't meet your Grand Marnier request. It's called a Highlander: 2 oz JW Red (or another fairly inexpensive blended Scotch), 0.25-0.5 oz Benedictine, and 2 dashes of bitters. Drop in a twist of lemon and enjoy. If you substitute bourbon for Scotch, it's called a Derby, which is also excellent.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:47 PM

I've been hollaring for a while now that Fris is by far the best value in vodka. It's very similar in quality to the Grey Goose - many friends of mine actually prefer it - but it costs about 1/3 less. I can't bring myself to spend any more money on vodka than that, it's a great value. I strongly encourage any vodka drinkers to try it out and then tell me they can justify spending their money on Grey Goose.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been hollaring for a while now that Fris is by far the best value in vodka. It's very similar in quality to the Grey Goose - many friends of mine actually prefer it - but it costs about 1/3 less. I can't bring myself to spend any more money on vodka than that, it's a great value. I strongly encourage any vodka drinkers to try it out and then tell me they can justify spending their money on Grey Goose.

[/ QUOTE ]

alright my friend. i'm gonna try fris. i must admit i've never tried it. i'll get back to you.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 PM

Ron del Barrilito is widely available in NYC and the surrounding areas...

Try the Park Avenue Liquor store

I believe they ship within the US
Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 PM

congrats on Elija Craig. it's good stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

by the way, as a matter of fact I went to bartending school in NYC, and was a bartender for a year. i quit a year ago.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:53 PM

Old 10-28-2005, 07:56 PM

awsome pic!
Old 10-28-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just bought my first bottle of Elijah Craig single barrel (aged 24 years, thank you) after the highest recommendations. Anyone else had it? What can I expect?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had Elijah Craig single barrel, but I'm not sure that what I had was 24 yo unless that is all they make in that. What I had was awesome. It had a great, very full flavor, a big kick, but at the same time smooth as silk. So, worst-case, you should expect that it is awesome, but quite possibly much better than awesome.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:01 PM

i was thinking the other day about my alcohol evolution. when i was 13 i snuck a bottle of beer to the back yard, opened it and had a sip, threw it away. in college i attended keg parties. after college i liked mixed drinks. years later i enjoyed scotch.

now i sit in front of sportscenter with a bottle of vodka and no glass.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:41 PM

Sippin it right now, woooooo it kicks, but I'm lovin it.