Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Wait, turns out New Orleans is screwed after all

Nothing really new to add about New Orleans, but I was walking through the Student Center today and they had a big registration table set up for Tulane. Apparently some of the student body has been moved to GT for the next few months. Good for Tech.

Both my parents went to Tulane, and my grandfather taught there for a while, so I'm glad my school is doing something to help the victims out.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:33 AM

BBC report.
"I can only imagine that this is what Hiroshima looked like 60 years ago," said Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour after viewing the destruction from the air.

No, that would have been substantially different, you stupid, stupid fool.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BBC report.
"I can only imagine that this is what Hiroshima looked like 60 years ago," said Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour after viewing the destruction from the air.

[/ QUOTE ]
People were also comparing it to Baghdad when they saw the looting. While we're at it, let's compare Bush to Hitler for the trifecta.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Warning: politically incorrect statement to follow...

They were screwed the minute they decided to live in a fuking flooded swamp. But hey, they had 200 years of fun [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

while we're being politically incorrect, i hope the people who didn't evacuate and are now crying for someone to save them had a damn good reason for not leaving when told to do so before.

[/ QUOTE ]

For many of them: No money, no car, and one million people in line in front of them with money and a car to get out of the city.

To be fair, it's only about a five mile walk from many of these neighborhoods to the Superdome. Once it became clear that they couldn't get out, they could have sucked it up and walked to the Superdome. I'm sure many did.

But more importantly, I don't think you understand the context of this. New Orleaneans are asked to evacuate for a hurricane maybe once every year or two. Every one so far for the last forty years has missed. There's a serious crying wolf effect. (Not that the evacuation orders in past years were imprudent, mind you.)

You're in your house with three kids and elderly grandparents five miles from nowhere safe with no car and no cash. You're told, "get the hell out," just like you've been told twenty times before. Some people are going to make the wrong decision. I don't think it's fair to say, "Well, they died (or almost died) because they were too dumb to evacuate." There's just more to it than that.

Bottom line is this is a disaster that no one deserved (though it's hard to say that anything in life is really deserved). Rather than look for people to blame, try just being sympathetic to the probably hundreds or thousands who died and to the hundreds of thousands who lost their homes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ed for finally posting something knowledgeable and intelligent in this thread.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Watched an interview this morning of 2 French Canadians on vacation in New Orleans. They were lamenting how they had no water or power in their hotel and how hot it was.

Are people really that dumb? They knew the hurricane was coming and they were told to evacuate but they stay anyway and then bitch about it. sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly be this stupid and yet still know how to use a computer can you?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: This is horrible.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does it always work? No. But what can be done...is done.

Do you think a concrete levee tall enough to protect the people of New Orleans is a bad thing? Are you scratching your head wonder why 'the dirt didn't hold'?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will not get into this discussion too much here as it really belongs in the politics forum; my real intention is that this sends you looking in a different direction for the answers you seek. People in this thread have demonstrated compassion, and a notable love for this great city.

Here's a quote from the Emergency Management Chief in NO from last year

[ QUOTE ]
It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us.

-- Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 8, 2004

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to hear how some people are pointing fingers, Read this

I've only visited NOLA one time and I fell in love, I'm truly concerned that this great american landmark may be forever altered in the coming months and years. One thing that struck me is that every one we met (my wife and I were on our honeymoon) wanted to give us a tour of the city. One guy that we met working in an art gallery told us to leave the touristy quarter and took us out for beers in another part of town (whose name escapes me) which was super cool and populated by great local bars and super genuine people. Our cabbie on the way to the airport talked for the whole drive about the city's history and his family's involvement through generations.

My heart goes out to the people who've lost loved ones in this tragedy and I wish the best for those who've lost their homes and livelyhoods. My company alone has over 200 employees in New Orleans and while I haven't met any of them it spooks me to think they do the same thing as me except now they are homeless with nowhere to go to for several months or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blaming the federal govt? OK, but where's the blame on local govt.'s then?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BBC report.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, actually no, it would look about the same.

You seen the overhead shots of Golfport? The entire city is gone.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:11 AM

Erm, I can only assume you haven't seen the ones of Hiroshima. The comparison is stupid and offensive.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Erm, I can only assume you haven't seen the ones of Hiroshima. The comparison is stupid and offensive.

[/ QUOTE ]The comparison is a tad short sighted, but I can see similarities. I think perhaps you should see the vidoes of MS gulf coast, then you would see the similarities in destruction.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: This is horrible.

[ QUOTE ]
The story of those looters absolutely sickens me. I can't believe what animals some people are at a time like this. I wonder if you'd get in trouble for firing on them with a rifle. I'd be so emotional and outraged if I were involved in this that I probably wouldn't hesitate.

Anyway, I'm far away from it, but I certainly feel for those who got caught up in it. My best wishes to anyone who has been affected by this tragedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

personally people oughta just shoot the looters. You are going to be tried by a jury of people from NO...think they'll convict...i highly doubt it.