Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Try to get me to stay in school....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I failed out last quarter at UCSB. I never went to classes, never bought books, never studied, etc. It was a great way to waste $2000. Why go back right now when I hate it so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you know you hate it? You didn't even do any of the things that going to college entails.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be my 4th year in college (well...err...next January will be the start of it).
Old 08-24-2005, 08:18 PM

The more I think about this thread (which isn't much at this point) the more I think that FieryJustice essentially trolled us. He wasn't interested in our input, he made up his mind before he fired off the post. At best, he was going to essentially ignore anything that contradicted his pre-determined decision and was only interested on a few pats on the back from the occasional poster to feel better about what he has to know deep down in his gut is a horrific decision.

Nobody is arguing that the ONLY way to happiness is through college. Man, for such a bunch of smart people there sure are a ton of red herrings floating around. And certainly nobody is saying that auto mechanics can't be happy people. But we aren't talking about normal people, we are talking about a person of extremely high intelligence that is essentially being handed a college degree and refuses to do the ridiculously amount of easy "work" that is entailed to collect on it.

That is all I have to say.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How would you know you hate it? You didn't even do any of the things that going to college entails.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably he had been going to college up until that point and had a pretty good idea of what it would entail.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I think the only reason I didnt drop out last semester was the fact that I was good friends with the only 4 hot girls that happened to be in most of my classes. This semester, I am the only normal looking person in any of my classes. My classes are filled with very unattractive girls and old men and women. I feel as if I am the one out of place. Where have all the hot girls gone???

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm responding to something different. You clearly need to work on your social assessment skills. Hot girls are a waste of time, firstly because they're usually terrible in bed, and secondly because they seem to think that bad sex should be fair exchange for you doing all of their work. You couldn't possibly have been "good friends" with anyone you met in college given how long you spent there. Call them tomorrow and see if they can help you move. Then you'll find out if they're really your friends.

I'm even more sick of all this "enineering is too, like, hard and stuff," whiney bullXXXX than when I was tutoring chemical engineering undergrads. I made $10/hr to listen to them bitch. Then I made them read their f%$#&^% textbooks and class notes. If you can make $100k+ in a year of playing poker, saying you can't hack it engineering is just pure laziness.

SlimP
Old 08-24-2005, 10:15 PM

100k a year is a very good income for one person. NJ has the highest median income for families in the nation at about 70k. The town I use to live in the median income was about 110k and that is one of the wealthiest towns in NJ.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:16 PM

Sounds to me like you're just in the wrong major. Try something challenging and interesting like Physics or Engineering. I had the same issue because I started off majoring in Philosophy. I almost dropped out myself. You need to find a major you love. There will be one -- trust me. Hell, if you love poker, why not get a degree in Statistics? Or Psychology? Or Cognitive science? Hell, even forensics. Any of those would help your game, while opening up other doors for the future.

You're also not considering the fact that Poker can get damn boring after a while. Play a few more years and you'll agree.

You're damn lucky to be able to have an education, even if you never get a 9-5 job. Nothing learned is ever wasted. You can keep playing poker in the meantime. Keep all your doors open. If you don't, you'll regret it. I know it's what Dad always says. He's right.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I notmally play about 4 hours or so a day...12 is what I CAN do...not what I want to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

51,000 tournament points on 4 hours a day? You must be winning every sng, which means you should definitely quit college.

I'm guessing that you spend most of your waking hours sitting in front of a cluster of monitors, making decisions that have become automatic.

I suppose there are more sad existences, but I can't come up with one now.

It's not a binary decision ... college or poker. How about both? Oh, and how about some other things too? Play cards a few hours a day (which I'm guessing would mean about 1/2 - 1/3 as much as you do now), donk around a couple of classes (it's the easiest part of life), drink some beer, and chase some girls around.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Raptor,

Will you be able to work on one piece of school work at a time, or will you like 4-table term papers?

[/ QUOTE ]

the thought of someone having 4 different sets of textbooks, outines and index cards full of footnotes and a laptop screen dedicated to each paper made me laugh pretty hard. Damn I take too many classes.

Fiery - use the free scholarship, I had one and it was the best gift ever given to me. if you are this good at poker, you can get by on extremely little effort, trust me. get each professor's old tests and memorize them. then, read the text in three days before each final. everything else is cream cheese [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 PM

I have 2 degrees. If I could make at poker what you make at poker I wouldn't be working.

I'd say play poker for 2 years and build up as much as you can (should be 500K by your estimates). That's the equivalent of working 10 years so you can't possibly make a mistake by not getting your degree unless you do something stupid like quit poker and don't do anything with your life for the following 8 years.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The more I think about this thread (which isn't much at this point) the more I think that FieryJustice essentially trolled us. He wasn't interested in our input, he made up his mind before he fired off the post. At best, he was going to essentially ignore anything that contradicted his pre-determined decision and was only interested on a few pats on the back from the occasional poster to feel better about what he has to know deep down in his gut is a horrific decision.

Nobody is arguing that the ONLY way to happiness is through college. Man, for such a bunch of smart people there sure are a ton of red herrings floating around. And certainly nobody is saying that auto mechanics can't be happy people. But we aren't talking about normal people, we are talking about a person of extremely high intelligence that is essentially being handed a college degree and refuses to do the ridiculously amount of easy "work" that is entailed to collect on it.

That is all I have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREED. :claps: