Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: The Official Bunkfest 2005 (New York City) summer event details.

[ QUOTE ]
can she out-play Mrs. Bunky?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, Its bunkette or Kell-Bell. And there is no way in hell that happens. I like the Colgins, but I'll lay $100.00 in side action on Bunkette any day of the week for HU against Mrs. Colgin.

Actually, I admire Colgin, we (that means both of us) have way gotten married out of our league. Congrats. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fantastic. She can she out-play Mrs. Bunky?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to try and stir up trouble, don't you. nd that's "Bunkette" so I have heard.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the Colgins, but I'll lay $100.00 in side action on Bunkette any day of the week for HU against Mrs. Colgin.

Actually, I admire Colgin, we (that means both of us) have way gotten married out of our league. Congrats. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kind words. While the Mrs. has certainly made improvements in her hold 'em game, and while she can beat Party up to $1/2 notwithstanding huge gaps in her learning, I have no doubt that she is not up to taking on Bunkette. Moreover, in a rotation game she may be in trouble as hold 'em is her only game.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:47 PM

Habitat is sold out. Outlook of going to NYC: grim.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:09 PM

Alright, it's make or break day. Here's what I got:

Hotel 17, $116/night with tax, shared bath, looks clean, has availability for Friday-Thursday.

http://www.hotel17ny.com/location_ea...age_hotels.asp

where the hell is that located? It looks like East Midtown but I'm obviously very lost. Comments about this place.

Hotel 31 (Hotel 17's sister property), $104/night with tax, shared bath again, availability Friday-Thursday.

http://www.hotel31.com/location_ny_midtown_hotels.asp

Again where the hell is that located. Says midtown but that means little to me except it's reasonably close to where i want to be.

One thing I'm really going to miss is internet access. I can damn near stay in a dorm bed (though don't they have curfews?) if I can find a decent net cafe for cheap. I need remarkably little in a hotel.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:16 PM

We may have a winner... $83/night w/ tax (and they have availability) at

http://portlandsquarehotel.com/

Again shared bath (but I'm okay with this). Anyone have any opinions on this place or location? As long as it's clean and reasonably safe, I'm fine.

You know, it's funny that I find it acceptable to pay $83/night for a small ass bed, no frills, and a shared bathroom. Apparently, only in NY.

(Note: LA, $40/night for a nice mini-suite in a business traveler hotel with free high speed internet access, a queen bed, recliner, and a kitchenette. I hate NY already).

For $82/night, we have it's sister hotel

http://heraldsquarehotel.com/

This one has pictures, but it's the sister of the other hotel, so it should be decent. No idea which has the better location, that's the one I'll probably take.

Edit: Looks like they are both in Midtown, but Midtown looks pretty freakin big.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any opinions on this place or location?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know the place, but the location is in the heart of the theater district, around the corner from Times Square, the Crossroads of the World, in the middle of the World Capital.

Times Square is cool - touristy chic, fashionably garish, wildly insane, freakishly bizarre, and open 24 hours a day.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NEVER stay at a Hostile in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since, I appear to very much be thinking about doing this, care to elaborate? The dorms are a bit excessive for me, but a private room with a shared bathroom is fine. Unless of course you were implying a safety concern, in which case telling me now would be a good idea.

Time to see if I can mess with my flight.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:28 PM

So it's a good location? Touristy is good, because that usually means safer than the projects in the Bronx.

Where is like Central Park and all that located? I assume Manhattan has pretty much everything I want within a 30 minute subway ride, if I stayed here?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:59 PM

Met,
Central Park starts on 59th St - 12 blocks up = 12 minute walk. Most of Manhatten and the boroughs with the exception of some specific areas are very safe.

As like anywhere, it's always wise to maintain a certain level of awareness of your surroundings. Generally, muggers prey on the old, the young, the disabled, the weak, and people who seem preoccupied or distracted. Just being alert and aware of who is around you makes you an undesirable target for most predators. They prefer easy targets. Also, Times Square is probably the most heavily Police Patrolled place in the City.
Closed Thread