Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

Have you considered maybe going to school for something, at least part time, now that you seem to have the finances to do so?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Consider El Diablo\'s Advice

The advice from El Diablo is important. Please consider it.

[ QUOTE ]
El Diablo wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I've said in the past is that many of the young people here, especially those who quit college to play poker, will never have a chance to be exposed to many really interesting careers - whether that be in business, finance, academia, art, science or whatever else. Now that you've spent some time as a poker pro, I'd encourage you to pursue an education that will allow you to try out a bunch of different areas. Getting a college degree and working for a consulting firm is one good way to get exposed to a lot of different industries and see what lots of different roles do on a day-to-day basis. There are many other routes you can take as well, that's just one. Then, hopefully, one of those things strikes you as something worth really focusing on.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-23-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Consider El Diablo\'s Advice

I think you grossly overestimate the value of a college education.

Last week a study was released that said: historically the net earnings difference between a college graduate and a high school graduate IS LESS THAN what parents would see as return on their money if they invested in the stock market instead of their children's college education.

Also, while there are some career paths that will never be outsourced or eliminated by technology. There are many others that will. Choose carefully or you will be going back to college every 7-10 years when your job gets sent to India, or those new IBM servers don't need your assistance.

Or like me you might just get burnt out.

I spent 8 years in IT and got sick of it.
I spent 3 years in sales and sucked at it.
I spent 5 years in playing poker. Going on 2yrs pro. Its boring sometimes, but It beats a job anyday.

Colleges teach you what you need to know to get a job by the way. Jobs suck because:

1. 66% of America is addicted to drugs & alcohol, this WILL affect your "office politics."
2. That doesn't include morons cheating on their wives, defrauding the company, or doing some othe detrimental behavior that inevitably you get sucked into just by being in the vicinity. (I'm not saying you'll do these things,just that your coworkers doing them will drive you crazy as it affects "office politics"
3. Ego's. People suck. Think about all the morons at the poker table online, those are the same people you'll be working with, and you won't be able to turn it off when you get tired.
4. Pay. Most jobs you are stuck in some sort of scale you can't overcome by pure effort like poker (sales may be an exception) Most jobs require effort + time + playing politics.

Now earlier I reccomended he go to college, but not to get a job. Definitely start your own business, whatever that may be, preferrably something with no employees and as few customers as possible.

People Suck.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely start your own business, whatever that may be, preferrably something with no employees and as few customers as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your ideas intrigue me. Are you looking for an investor, 'cause I'm in.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:15 PM

Appreciate the honesty.
Suggestions
-Golf was a great idea. Youll meet lots of people and when you tell them you play poker for a living they will be envious. But the natural Golf DVD great for the new golfer
-Join a gym and get a trainer It will keep you motivated. Who cares waht others think. You wull be surprised as the results start to show how many people will compliment you. Same boat as previous poster ex College soccer player went to Vegas and disgusted how fat I was. Bet my buddies i would be in shape by October or I pay for a round of golf when we head back.
-Volunteer surprised nobody has suggested this. You will meet tons of people this way and it feels great.
- Get a dog it will encourage you to get out walk and again great icebreaker and a great friend. remeber though commitment for life.
- consider seeing a therapist it can be very helpfull.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:18 PM

I want to point out the "gems" of advice in this post:

1. College educations are overrated

2. Parents should invest in the stock market instead of sending their kids to college

3. Jobs suck and require effort

4. Start a business with no employees and few customers

Let me guess - you threatened to move to Canada if John Kerry lost but were too lazy to follow through on it

-Matt
Old 06-23-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you grossly overestimate the value of a college education.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may overvalue the worth dollarwise, but undervalue the experience as a whole.

[ QUOTE ]

Last week a study was released that said: historically the net earnings difference between a college graduate and a high school graduate IS LESS THAN what parents would see as return on their money if they invested in the stock market instead of their children's college education.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statistic says much more about the stock market than it does about college. There is no reason to think the market will perform going forward like it has the past 50 years.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, while there are some career paths that will never be outsourced or eliminated by technology. There are many others that will. Choose carefully or you will be going back to college every 7-10 years when your job gets sent to India, or those new IBM servers don't need your assistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

College is not the same as job-training.

[ QUOTE ]

Or like me you might just get burnt out.

I spent 8 years in IT and got sick of it.
I spent 3 years in sales and sucked at it.
I spent 5 years in playing poker. Going on 2yrs pro. Its boring sometimes, but It beats a job anyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of this was to open up his options so that he could find something he would not get burnt out at.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

One thing that I think is important but isn't particularly clear to me is whether you like (1) poker, (2) money, (3) getting better at something, or some combination of the three. Obviously, each has its own implications.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to start taking classes at age 23 when you should have graduated by now. Completing your degree at age 27 isn't going to impress anyone looking to hire you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever hired anyone?