Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: NYC poker raid?

If anyone has news about the Playstation I would appreciate it. I figure if they want to reopen, they should give us our money back.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:08 AM

No playstation did not charge for cookies.....
Old 05-29-2005, 11:32 AM

I heard (from a real person) all the dealers and staff from NYPC are still being detained. The courts are closed this holiday weekend. NYPwneD?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:42 AM

I sincerely doubt that. It would be illegal. They must see a judge in a reasonable amount of time to have bail set.

I dont know the law in NY but I highly doubt that they can keep them in jail all weekend with no bail just because its a holiday. There is a judge on duty at all times (even on weekends) just for this purpose.

Not too mention that the jails dont have enough room to keep everyone in jail all weekend. People who have minor charge are let out ASAP if they can post the proper bail.

Can you imagine how many people get arrested in NYC on a holiday weekend? I dont believe they are all still there.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you imagine how many people get arrested in NYC on a holiday weekend? I don't believe they are all still there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually if a person is arrested Friday Evening, they generally wait until Monday Morning to receive a hearing in NYC. Its not pretty....

But since the bust was on Thursday night, they probably got their hearing on Friday morning.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I sincerely doubt that. It would be illegal. They must see a judge in a reasonable amount of time to have bail set.

I dont know the law in NY but I highly doubt that they can keep them in jail all weekend with no bail just because its a holiday. There is a judge on duty at all times (even on weekends) just for this purpose.

Not too mention that the jails dont have enough room to keep everyone in jail all weekend. People who have minor charge are let out ASAP if they can post the proper bail.

Can you imagine how many people get arrested in NYC on a holiday weekend? I dont believe they are all still there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, you sound like you're right but I spoke with people who worked at another card club last night who said "Yes they are still being held".
Old 05-29-2005, 01:43 PM

I don't intend to be smug, but the police and the Dist Atty don't always follow the letter of the law. People get arrested when they shouldn't. People get detained when they shouldn't. Just because the law says something should or should not happen doesn't mean that it will or won't happen.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:44 PM

I've only read a handful of the posts here, so some of these points may well be redundant. But as a criminal defense attorney in NYC, I figure I might as well add my two cents:

(1) Without names, it is not a simple matter to locate arrest information.
(2) The resolution of these cases is generally public information. So if anyone is able to obtain names of those arrested, we probably could ascertain how they eventually are resolved.
(3) There is nothing illegal about playing in the games, so long as you have no role in promoting, organizing or sharing in the rake from the games.
(4) It is theoretically possible for police to share info with the taxing authorities, but practically speaking that is improbable.
(5) I've always assumed that the police always knew of these games, but chose to look the other way so long as the clubs did not draw attention to themselves or create a dangerous situation somehow. Why they decided, now, to take action is a fascinating question.

Finally, here is my most important point: there is no reason why any of us need to accept a reality of poker clubs being closed down. Poker players in NY - not to mention those interested in running clubs - should take some initiative, and start lobbying for a change in the law. In fact, proposals have already been made to make it clear that poker tournaments can be played for charity (and in bars, at lower stakes). I admit all of these proposals seem like long shots at the moment. But such laws are being proposed around the country. And there are damn good reasons why they should be passed.

Anyway, I am very interested in all legal issues surrounding poker and would be willing to volunteer some of my time to help advance the cause of poker players and poker clubs. People should feel free to send me a message if they want to talk about any specific situations or suggestions.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:46 PM

TT will you still be promoting the home game? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why they decided, now, to take action is a fascinating question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. There was a death on one of the poker rooms in the last month or so, and there was a high profile two page piece in the NY Post pofiling the clubs and describing their boom, also in the last month.