Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: The dude who cried when his K high flush lost

I thought that guy was Mike McClain - the one that was in the "How to play NL Hold 'em" introduction near the end where Lon says "...or breaks you!"
Old 11-08-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen a lot of hand analysis on this, and I tend to think it might have been a poor call. Granted, ESPN almost NEVER graces us with the pot size, bet size, etc, and we did not see the run of the hand until the river, so it's not as easy to judge. But if you're forced to call off a large percentage of your chips on a river raise with a three-flush board, I am not sure you can call without the nuts or a dead-solid read.

And it is read-dependent, no doubt. Again, we didn't see the hand play out. But you when players move in on a three-flush board, they're almost always on 1) a bluff trying to use a scare card or 2) the nuts.

I would guess there are plenty of fish out there who overvalue J-high flushes, etc, but at that late stage in the main event? I think if you call off that many of your chips there, you can go ahead and stop talking about how you've played "perfect."

[/ QUOTE ]

He said he played perfect until that hand and that it was a terrible call.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that guy was Mike McClain - the one that was in the "How to play NL Hold 'em" introduction near the end where Lon says "...or breaks you!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true but I mean another person, let me get some pics.

2003:

2005:

Must be the same! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2005, 03:29 PM

A striking similarity indeed. His face in 2003 even has that same grimace.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:49 PM

Just to clarify a couple of things:
He DID pay the people he owed. I was one of the people who had 10% of him. There were three of us who each had a 10% stake. He has paid all three.

He did not win his seat in the Reece's charity tournament, but rather one of the other charity games in town.

And no, that's not him in the 2003 WSOP -- this year was the first time he ever played in it.

--Headhunter
Old 11-11-2005, 04:42 AM

No one plays perfect poker over three days. You can play your "best" poker, but not perfect.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:58 AM

I know...that was something else. Totally uncomfortable. Oh yeah, I think he also cried when he saw that his A Q was up against A K for all his chips. But he seemed to be playing solid textbook poker, and you had to feel for the guy....NOT.
Mike
Old 11-11-2005, 07:43 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
I know...that was something else. Totally uncomfortable. Oh yeah, I think he also cried when he saw that his A Q was up against A K for all his chips. But he seemed to be playing solid textbook poker, and you had to feel for the guy....NOT.
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

He cried right after the King-high flop with his A/Q vs. A/K. I guess it would've been "perfect" poker if he sucked out on the flop instead.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:22 AM

I RAN INTO THAT GUY A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AT THE GROCERY STORE, HE WAS BUYING QUITE THE UNUSUAL AMOUNT OF BROCOLLI.......
Old 11-11-2005, 08:42 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
I RAN INTO THAT GUY A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AT THE GROCERY STORE, HE WAS BUYING QUITE THE UNUSUAL AMOUNT OF BROCOLLI.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to AOL with your ALL-CAPS typing. I bet you still use "lol" too. Ugh. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]