Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Evidence that God exists

[ QUOTE ]
The Bible also says not to ask who is saved and who is lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so happy to read this. Then nobody can argue that the only way to God is through Jesus. God is above human logic so it is *possible* that there are other ways to God that aren't delineated in the Bible.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How about instead of me trying to learn all of the ins and outs of existentialism, you save me hours of time, get to the point, and explain why it's absurd to think that there is no overarching "purpose" behind the existence of the universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism
"
Existentialism tends to view human beings as subjects in an indifferent, objective, often ambiguous, and "absurd" universe in which meaning is not provided by the natural order, but rather can be created, however provisionally and unstably, by human beings' actions and interpretations"
Old 11-18-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Then nobody can argue that the only way to God is through Jesus. God is above human logic so it is *possible* that there are other ways to God that aren't delineated in the Bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said we are not to inquire about who is saved and lost which concerns particular individuals. The way of salvation is through Christ only. This is true for all humans, those who lived before Christ was born and those after. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me".
Old 11-18-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By being agnostic you are disagreeing with Christianty but not on the basis that you are sure it is incorrect, but merely on the basis that you can't be sure what is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you can't be sure?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only problem is these facts can only be facts if you assume the existence of God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the facts of the Bible are supported by evidence outside the Bible. I've addressed the question in another thread, but briefly repeating, all thinking about ultimate issues is circular because man is finite and must assume a logical starting point that can't be proved.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:30 PM

"All I know is that I know nothing."

I think it's one of those axioms like "the only thing that never changes is change itself."
Old 11-18-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Existentialism tends to view human beings as subjects in an indifferent, objective, often ambiguous, and "absurd" universe in which meaning is not provided by the natural order, but rather can be created, however provisionally and unstably, by human beings' actions and interpretations

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so they see the universe as absurd... and...?

How does this mean that it *is* absurd to think there is no purpose behind the universe itself? It's not exactly self-evident what your argument is.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:45 PM

It amazes me that someone who subscribes to something so complex as there being a God would question someone else who belives in the same thing, albeit with a few of the details changed.
The versions of God are irrelevant, i'm sure christians and Muslims alike will agree that the Greeks, Romans, Pagans and Egyptians versions of God were wrong and irrelevant, just as theirs will be given time. If you choose to take comfort that you will go to an eternal eutopia for living your life to the way set out in a book and that other people will suffer eternal damnation for not doing so that's fine but at least allow each other to believe your own things without questioning them, especially since non of you have any proof whatsoever that either is right.
The dispute over who's version is right become's irrelevant when you consider the fact that there is either a God or there isn't, there is no middle ground here, as an atheist either I am right and all religious groups are wrong or ONE religious group is right and all the others and atheists are wrong.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How does this mean that it *is* absurd to think there is no purpose behind the universe itself? It's not exactly self-evident what your argument is.

[/ QUOTE ]

absurd

SYLLABICATION: ab·surd
PRONUNCIATION: b-sūrd, -zūrd
ADJECTIVE: 1. Ridiculously incongruous or unreasonable. See synonyms at foolish. 2. Of, relating to, or manifesting the view that there is no order or value in human life or in the universe. 3. Of or relating to absurdism or the absurd.

The simple formulation is that if there is no purpose there is no meaning. Something that is meaningless is by definition absurd.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The dispute over who's version is right become's irrelevant when you consider the fact that there is either a God or there isn't,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why God's existence makes the dispute irrelevant. If He does exist i can't think of anything more relevant to human life. And if He does exist and means for His existence to have any significance for us, it's not unreasonable to think He would reveal Himself to us in some way. Which brings us back to the dispute.