Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Dear bison: the May advice thread.

Dear Bison,

Why do you think its important for us to be happy? This seems selfish to me. Is it possible for every person in the world to be happy at the same time unless the sole source of their happiness is other peoples happiness?

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "What is undue?".

Mark
Old 05-02-2005, 03:02 PM

Dear Mark,

Why do you think its important for us to be happy?

Because the other option sucks.

This seems selfish to me.

It is selfish, that's why it must be balanced by the obligation to not cause suffering.

Is it possible for every person in the world to be happy at the same time

I don't know. I do know that it is possible to reduce the overall suffering in the world, and that that will allow more people to be happy.

When I say that the fundamental debate is "what is undue?", I'm saying that since we're obligated to avoid causing undue suffering to others, the main source of debate will be over what constitutes "undue suffering".
Old 05-02-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

I am not passionate about anything in my life. The days seem to drag on, and there's nothing i enjoy doing all that much. Please help.

Thanks,
DB

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasnt sure if this was missed or ignored [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 04:15 PM

Dear DB,

Missed. Will try to answer later today.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:32 PM

Dear bisonbison,

i will be done with college soon, but i have no idea what to do after i graduate. parts of me thinks life will be pretty easy as i could just "go pro" but the other part of me wants to actually do something productive in life rather than sit behind my computer (or in a cardroom) all day, and plus poker already doesn't sit well with my parents and my girlfriend anyways. any suggestions?

chris
Old 05-02-2005, 04:52 PM

Dear chris,

You're a sharp guy. Life can be pretty easy whatever you end up doing, but I would highly recommend getting a 9-5 job out of college. It's simple, no variance, and you get to meet people.

If there's nothing that interests you in the slightest, I would just suggest going to every recruiting dinner/meeting/chat you hear about that is even mildly interesting. At worst, you'll get better at networking/interviewing. At best, you'll find something that sounds interesting.

Besides, you'll be playing however much poker you want regardless.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:26 PM

I'm going to Vegas in June. Where should I stay? Mirage is out given Clark et al's reports of the mid-limit games vacating. So, Bellagio or Wynn?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear jdl,

You probably feel attracted to this girl because she's attractive (personally and physically) and because your fiance is far away. It happens.

Assuming that you're actually happy with your fiance, then this'll probably remain a nice friendship where you get a little charge cause she's attractive, but if you find yourself thinking, before or after the wedding, that this other woman makes a nice Plan B, I'd suggest putting some distance between you socially and letting your brain cool off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Bison:

If I am incorrect to disagree with you in your post please feel free to smite me. That said, I must disagree with your advice here.

It is difficult to be married, it is made more difficult if you attempt to hold on to female friends that you are attracted to. Having a friendship with someone that "gives you a charge" is not a good thing. The "charge" comes from the mystery, the unkown, the anticipation, the novelty - these are things that your wife can not give you after years of marriage. Your wife will give you a "charge" in many many other ways, but having a "friend" like this can be detrimental.

jdl needs to ask himself WHY this is occuring. If he is convinced that marriage is +EV and its not even close then he needs to cut ties with this other woman quickly, especially considering the distance between himself and his finace'. This is not a good situation.

I apologize for interrupting and arguing with our distinguished host, he provides tremendous insight and a wealth of knowledge, all sprinkled with wit and humor. I look forward to the Dear Bison Bison posts... I just had to jump in here.

Respectfully,
FishNChips
Old 05-02-2005, 05:41 PM

Dear Bison,

After reading this....

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to Vegas in June. Where should I stay? Mirage is out given Clark et al's reports of the mid-limit games vacating. So, Bellagio or Wynn?

[/ QUOTE ]

....and realizing I'll probably be the only one at the Mirage that weekend, should I bang my head against a normal wall, or a brick wall?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:41 PM

Dear Wendell,

You should stay some place that will allow you to split a moderately priced room with me for Friday and Saturday nights (separate beds, please). Once you find such a place, you should email me.