Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: What Tiffany Willaimson did right

[ QUOTE ]
Looking back on the play now, with hindsight and more experience, its a much easier quick muck. At the time, however, I thought here we go again, someone is re-raising back at me to muscle me off the pot. Maybe I was thinking about the guy who showed me 6-4 offsuit, in the face of my raise, his re-raise, my fold. Oh well. Turns out this time he had Aces. Mea culpa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think he showed you the 6-4 offsuit? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tiff, you certainly were not an outright idiot like that fat bowler kid, who ran around screaming everytime he sucked out on the river.

And I don't believe you're as bad as my J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] friend/fish.

But, your A/7 hand was terrible in my view. The A/J was the least questionable, but still a rookie mistake. And the K/J sooted is another trap hand.

It was really the combination of the time you took grueling over the K/J sooted hand, and the move with the A/7 hand that I found "distasteful". Then again, so is watching all the donkiness on Celebrity Poker Showdown.

Regardless, you've got 400K more than I do, so I'll shut up and go back to multi-tabling the Omaha Hi/Lo cash games. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree she didn't know what she was doing in a lot of ways. But her strategy was good. She played aggressively and tried to keep the action preflop and create big gambles. She also had courage and didn't play like a calling station or weak/tight. That is partly how she got as far as she did without being a skilled player. She got lucky, but it wasn't just luck.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looking back on the play now, with hindsight and more experience, its a much easier quick muck. At the time, however, I thought here we go again, someone is re-raising back at me to muscle me off the pot. Maybe I was thinking about the guy who showed me 6-4 offsuit, in the face of my raise, his re-raise, my fold. Oh well. Turns out this time he had Aces. Mea culpa.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think he showed you the 6-4 offsuit? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is though, like I mentioned either here or another thread, when you do that in a TOURNAMENT with a newer player ... while there CAN be benefits, most times there will be HELL to pay later on when you WANT for them to lay down a hand.

In other words, I've found that using that strategy on a newer player (in a tournament) can be dangerous at best for JUST that very reason.

If you don't pay the price for doing that yourself, someone ELSE will later on, when that (newer) player will refuse to lay down a hand just because they have a pair, and you're trying to either bluff them out of a pot, or perhaps you might have the best hand before or after the flop, get them to call, and they suck you out on the turn and the river.

Again, I'm speaking here in regards to a tournament, where IMO, it's NOT a wise move to show your bluffs to a newer poker player.

Cash games ... different thing ... because if you get sucked out ... you can reach into your pocket to get more cash if need be, and get your money back and then some.

However, in a tournament, I've found that showing your bluffs to a newer player has more negatives than positives. I've also found what works BETTER (in a tournament) is to leave them guessing, and NEVER show your hand period to them, be it a bluff or the stone cold nuts.

It might work different as well online from this, but this is at least what I've discovered myself, playing in B&M (Brick and Morter) Tournament events.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:22 PM

I think Tiffany played great. There wouldn't be nearly this uproar about her supposedly "bad" play if she weren't black.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:50 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
I think Tiffany played great. There wouldn't be nearly this uproar about her supposedly "bad" play if she weren't black.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right "mr dong". If she had been a hot asian chick, we could just chalk it up to over-agressive "asianess"? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 01:58 PM

If Negreanu, Ivey, or Harrington (my top 3 faves) played like that, I would be calling them donks too.

-Gross
Old 11-05-2005, 02:29 PM

Why are there so many wannabes criticizing Tifany? If you can beet her, put your 10K down next year and beet her. Otherwise, you just look like a bunch of little racist fools.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:47 PM

You're right dong, nobody here who's criticized Tiffany could ever beet her, their games are full of leeks im sure.
Plus, I doubt any of them could make the critical reeds needed when the pressure is on like Tiffany.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a general response to people in this thread: why do you sit around obsessing over the fact that one person got lucky? You all are so [censored] jealous that you need to sit around saying "if that were me with those cards, I woulda won the whole thing!" WAAH WAAH WAAH. Get over it. What if your grandmother went to the WSOP having never played a hand of poker, but just wanted to gamble. She tried her best, took it very seriously, and even though she didn't understand a lot of concepts she still made it into the top 30. You'd be ecstatic for her! Meanwhile a bunch of acne scarred teenagers would sit around on poker forums calling her all sorts of awful names and generally griping at her luck. Plenty of people get lucky at poker - that's why it's so great! But most of you people need to get a clue. There is always somebody better than you. I'm sure that 95% of the people that go out of their way to criticize a self-professed novice have never made a significant amount of money at poker - and consistently make plays that the best players would sit around and laugh about if they were as inclined to waste their time as you all are.

She is a woman who played her best and got very lucky(just like everybody did who made it that far in the ME). She is not Phil Hellmuth or Mike Matusow, proclaiming that she is God's gift to the poker world. She is just another person who has figured out how to play poker and has a love for the game(just like everybody in this thread). We were all novices at one point, [censored] get over it.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

With ya. I think she took too long on some hands, but otherwise, I can't think of anything critical to say. She got lucky and went on a good run. Why some are going out of their way to analyze what she did right or wrong along the way is beyond me.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:23 PM

Every insult which comes after my post in this thread is going to be met with a suspension.

Edit: 1 quick suspension already. Feel free to test me more.