Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Novermber Goals Post

Show me the strategy.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sure that sounds great. i want to start recording heads up games for other people to view. i think it would be even better if the opponent is a wellknown twoplustwo poster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cool. We should definitely do this. I don't have any experience with the recording thing, but I'll try to figure it out so that we can both record it and then put up both videos together so that people can see the match from both perspectives. This will be fun. We can sort out details by PM. I don't have much experience with HU, but I want to learn (I also want to get good at HU NL, but that's a separate project).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just trying to get Tstone on board for a HU video. I sent him a program I have been using called Camtasia (very expensive but u can find cracked copies u know where)...which is just about the sweetest recording program u can find out there. It records and compresses to very small files while recording at 20fps...which is huge. So the recordings are very smooth.

Not only that you can add images and text over the video pretty easy...so u can go through and type in what the other person has so it displays in video. I will PM u this. But u should check it out.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI I have my own "flaming thread" if you want to dick-measure, and mine is older and longer than yours...

I do not have a problem with occasional vacuous threads or chit-chat garbage. I object to making a regular feature oif such nonsense - and that is exactly what stupid "goals" threads are. They amount to NOTHING. If you need to write them down publicly - do so in the psychology forum, which is what that place exists for.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flaming thread thing was obviously a joke. Apperently you didnt read the whole thread.

HUSH is like a community within the community that is 2+2. Its fun to tell eachother our goals every month and follow eachothers progress. Its cool to see which posters are playing similar limits and hand counts as yourself. Making it public also helps as motivation throughout the month.

HUSH posters couldn't care less about posters goals in the psychology forum and im sure they don't care about ours either. This is who we interact with 90% of the time so this is where we post it. Based on the number of replies these threads get, I would say everyone else pretty much feels the same way. Shouldn't what goes on in the forum ultimately be determined by the majority of users within the forum?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:12 AM

I understand what you are saying NL, but this forum is a strategy forum, not a wish list.

From what I have seen of other "goals" posts elsewhere they quickly degenerate into off-topic chit-chat about sex in libraries, sport, just about anything. People also start making dumbass non-poker related goals such as who they want to score with next.

While I sympathise, this forum is scrappy and irrelevant enough without the further introduction of non-strategy based postings. Jings, we bring in moderators to try to keep the forum clean and to the point. Two things goals posts are NOT is clean and to the point (strategy wise).

I am sure the responders have fun talking about non-poker things but forums exists elsewhere to facilitate this. If content is allowed to continually digress on a regtular basis this forum (which is still one of the best on 2+2) will degenerate into a chatter-board.

I am not blaming you personally - just the dork who decided to introduce this garbage in the first place...Krishan???

PS
My "flaming thread" response was a play on your play...you have been pwned [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

From what I have seen of other "goals" posts elsewhere they quickly degenerate into off-topic chit-chat about sex in libraries, sport, just about anything. People also start making dumbass non-poker related goals such as who they want to score with next.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naphand, I really disagree here. Here is why. Sometimes it's good to see non-poker related goals. It might make it easier to go to the gym is you know several other poker players have the same goal. Also if you know you HAVE to post results at the end of the month, the public humiliation of missing your targets might provide extra incentive to workout, put in hand etc.

Also there can be strategy in setting goals. For instance some people routinely set money goals which are completely worthless (some know they are worthless and do it anyqay which is fine). By posting them, I can ridicule them and hopefully they will learn that setting goals that require luck to achieve makes no sense. Also sometimes people post modifications to their game (as I will) which might help others working on their game.

I didn't start this but am a big supporter.

My goals.

1. Start to cap liberally in and out of position against LAGS (especiallly in position) I am guilty of calling 3-bets in an attempt to make postflop play easier against LAGs. I recently decided it was a suboptimal way to get out of, "playing poker" aka getting in tough spots with tough players. So I'm going to add back in extensive capping against players w/PFR 20ish

2. I'm not happy with my focus. For every hand I post on the boards (and I post a good deal) there are about 15 that go wrong but I immediately know where they go wrong and what I should have done. I need to cut that out. I think part of that is just slowing down and taking more physical time with each decision. I'm also going to quit 8 tablings and stick to 6.

3. Post at LEAST 1 strategy hand per day. I though of having a goal of playing just 2 tables till I play a hand interesting enough to post. Then ramp up to 6 but I think that would inundate the forum with too many hand posts. I will do the 2 table thing each day until I have a hand to post each day.

4. Study and post 100 posts in mid high. It will help me get over my main holes of spewing against solids and tough lags when my hand is very good but second best.

5. Start a series of threads on betting the turn to analyse the factors going into firing the second bullet including, opponents stats (cr %, WTSD, etc.), flop texture, my likely hand equity, my hand showdown value.

Krishan
Old 10-31-2005, 08:42 AM

Sorry Krishan, but posting goals does not amount to any kind of strategy discussion.

If you wanted to post something along the lines of "I have not got the discipline to play 20K hands a month - what advice can people give to achieve this" then this is a relevant post with potentially some useful discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
you know you HAVE to post results at the end of the month, the public humiliation of missing your targets might provide extra incentive to workout, put in hand etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

No-one has to post results, are you going to ban posters who do not post their results?

As for the public humiliation thing - this is nothing to do with SH strategy - is it? NOTHING. It is entirely psychological and should be placed in the relevant forum. I cannot imagine what you were thinking when you made this comment, but whatever it was it was not focussing on what this forum exists for. Do you want HUSH to become a general off-topic chit-chat board?

Likewise non-poker related goals. This is a SHORT-HANDED STRATEGY forum. I understand that going to the gym can make you a sharper player, why is this particularly relevant to SH play? It isn't. It applies to all things in life and as such is a general topic, not a SH topic.

One quick look through any of the goals posts quickly reveals the extent of off-topic nonsense that gets disproportionate coverage, and this is only made worse by the inclusion of non-poker related goals.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:49 AM

I understand where you are coming from. I'm sure you disapproved of my limerick competition as well. That's okay. We can just diagree.

Krishan
Old 10-31-2005, 08:55 AM

I would disagree with the limerick competition if you made it into a regular feature...[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

As I said in a previous post, I do not have a problem with occasional oddball postings - just not this monthly BS that encourages off-topic nonsense and no almost no worthwhile content of its own. This forum exists for the discussion of strategy, not posting of wish-lists or public dressing downs because you did not work out twice a week. Other forums exist for this.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:02 AM

I can't believe that after months of absence you pop back up to be a nit about this.

Actually, I shouldn't be surprised, although this is a whole new level for you.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:06 AM

I have been across on the full ring games forum and, well, just playing a lot of poker. "Absence" means what? Just because I have not posted much it does not mean I have not been reading. I fail to see the relevance of your remark.

Name calling amounts to nothing RDH and your response is sadly indicative of the level the forum has dropped to. Mediocrity, it seems, is now the acceptable face of HUSH. If you have discussed, for example, playing AKo on missed flops to death there comes a time when you just need to play. It does not justify the introduction of highly personal pap about your life away from the poker tables, just so you have sometihng to post about on the forum.

This is a forum for the discussion of strategy. Arguing that this should remain the case does not make me a nit, it does surprise me (although perhaps it shouldn't) so many are willing to champion something so obviously nopnm-strategy related. Please explain to me why you need to post about how many times you go to the gym. Why not how often you go to the toilet? Or do I detect a HUSH clique forming here?

Try to remember WHY the 2+2 forum was split into its constitutent parts.