Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: veganism

1. Well, it looks like the dictionary doesn't agree with you at all. Note their "especially."

3. Ditto on the squeamish factor. I am squeamish, and I count that as hypocrisy. If most meat eaters had to come up close to the slaughter they are responsible for, they couldn't take it.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:31 PM

Yeah I think it would be hard too, but not impossible. Not to mention that where I live you could NEVER eat out. Since in Texas everything has meat in it.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:32 PM

[censored] I live in East Texas and nobody around here has any problem skinning a deer and eating the sausage for breakfast.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you read the OP? I have no idea why you suddenly decided this "an argument whose purpose is winning." The OP asked for arguments against veganism, and you did not give one. Like I said, if the OP wanted to have a personal argument about integrity, there are probably much better things he could use. I don't know why you decided the thread should be about something else.

The second part of my post is fine, I'm sorry you didn't understand it. Refer to my earlier post in the thread if you have trouble. Simply put: if you're arguing about ideals, it's stupid to bring up actions. It's a trick that people use in popularity contests and elections. You don't win an argument that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're obviously missing my point entirely and are too emotionally wrapped up in this to make much sense anymore, so this is my last discussion with you on this subject, since it seems to have become pointless and you seem to be veering into the offensive, which goes even past pointlessness into the unpalatable. No thanks to both.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:34 PM

Most of us don't live in Texas. Most of us are city folk.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM

I grew up in Houston so I don't hunt, but right now I am in Beaumont and these rednecks do that for fun. Ouch. Can't wait to move.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Enbracing a vegan diet and actually being a vegan are different.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can try and use this definition all you want, but the majority of the people who self-indentify as Vegas probably don't agree with you.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Well, it looks like the dictionary doesn't agree with you at all. Note their "especially."

[/ QUOTE ]
You think so? They said
[ QUOTE ]
A vegetarian who eats plant products only, especially one who uses no products derived from animals, as fur or leather

[/ QUOTE ]
rather than
[ QUOTE ]
A vegetarian who eats plant products only, and who uses no products derived from animals, as fur or leather.

[/ QUOTE ]
I interpreted it like "my friend loves to watch baseball, especially the world series" i.e. the part before the "especially" is the only thing that's really required; the part after the "especially" just makes it more true.
I guess I can see how you might interpret it differently, though. For what it's worth, I know a lot of vegans, and they all seem to use the word to refer to diet.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:46 PM

Alright, I'll admit my last post was a bit tasteless, and I apologize. I disagree with making arguments about ideals into personal slapfests, and that was the point I was trying to get across.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You think so? They said
[ QUOTE ]
A vegetarian who eats plant products only, especially one who uses no products derived from animals, as fur or leather

[/ QUOTE ]
rather than
[ QUOTE ]
A vegetarian who eats plant products only, and who uses no products derived from animals, as fur or leather.

[/ QUOTE ]
I interpreted it like "my friend loves to watch baseball, especially the world series" i.e. the part before the "especially" is the only thing that's really required; the part after the "especially" just makes it more true.
I guess I can see how you might interpret it differently, though. For what it's worth, I know a lot of vegans, and they all seem to use the word to refer to diet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid to FYP now [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] but considering the definition debate couldn't it be said that you know a lot of people who call themselves vegans as opposed to actually being vegans.