Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: You Never Know

When I read the original statement, it just seemed like there was an implicit comparison of AL to NL and that all of the excellent teams were in the NL. I was mistaken.

Anyway, I think the AL playoff teams are much more talented compared to the NL ones, and expect the World Series champion to come out of the AL.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I read the original statement, it just seemed like there was an implicit comparison of AL to NL and that all of the excellent teams were in the NL. I was mistaken.

Anyway, I think the AL playoff teams are much more talented compared to the NL ones, and expect the World Series champion to come out of the AL.

[/ QUOTE ]

houston will be f-ing scary if they make it.

clemens. pettite. oswalt.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:17 AM

can you imagine the yankees if pettite had stayed? this still gets to me.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:20 AM

Pettitte. Clemens. Contreras. Loaiza. Weaver. Lieber.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the Moose.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the Moose.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he was referring to pitchers that left the yankees...unless you think the moose will get traded next year?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pettite- i really wish he was still a yankee. both statistically, and i was a big fan of him.

clemens- i miss him too.

contreras- he was awful, was anyone really saying "man, we're letting go of a gem here!"

loaiza- mediocre career, one really good year, the rest are either unspectacular or awful.

weaver- meh, i dont miss him a bit.

lieber- we should have resigned him, but hes nothing amazing. he started off blazing but very much cooled down.

Weaver, Loaiza and Lieber are also pitching in the NL, which makes their 2005 stats look a little nicer.

Also, you can't just say when someone has a bad year, and then has a good year somewhere else that he would have done that well on team A. different players prosper in different environments. i could write more but you have to know what i mean. look at chacon, he is loving the yankee environment. the games he pitches matters a ton, and so on. his game has been brought up 10 levels. does that mean colarado made a mistake? probably not, because he would have kept on putting up mediocre numbers had he stayed.

pettite is the only one out of all of those which i really really miss and thing "damn". i loved clemens, and miss him but hes winding down his career. i wanted him to go to the yankees again more than anyone but he is not a long term guy like pettite.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think he was referring to pitchers that left the yankees...unless you think the moose will get traded next year?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right. I thought it would have been the rotation if we hadn't lost Pettitte, and then he was implying we would not have traded for Vazquez, etc.

Wow has the Yankees rotation gone through some bulldozing.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:55 AM

I actually agree with every one of your reactions to players except for Clemens.

[censored] that traitor. I don't miss him one bit.

But it was fun while he was on the Yanks.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Change the magic number stupids

[ QUOTE ]
I keep hearing this on TV, "The White Sox magic number is 2 but it's actually really 1."

because of this(took from another forum):

[ QUOTE ]
A Sox win tomorrow clinches the AL Central...regardless of what any other team does tomorrow. Here's why:

1. The Sox would be 96-63. The best the Indians and Red Sox would be after tomorrow is 93-66.

2. If the Sox get swept by Cleveland, both the Sox and Cleveland would be 96-66. A one-game tiebreaker would be played to determine (CWS @ Cleveland on Monday) the AL Central champion ONLY IF the AL Wildcard contender from the East has as good if not better record than 96-66.

3. Since the Yankees and Red Sox play each other to finish the season, either the Yankees or the Red Sox will finish NO BETTER than 95-67.

4. Thus, if the Sox win tomorrow, they clinch the AL Central. The only way Cleveland can tie the Sox is to sweep the Sox. If they sweep the Sox, Cleveland is 96-66 and beats the AL East wildcard contender by one game. Hence, the one-game tiebreaker to determine the AL Central champion would not need to be played since both the White Sox and Indians would be in the postseason. The tiebreaker then goes to head-to-head during the season, which the Sox would still win even if they were swept.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why don't the sports anchors just say the magic number is 1 because the magic number IS 1.

Hopefully this [censored] is done with tomorrow so I can enjoy the weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree I don't understand this at all.