Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Counter or Taker?.
I count outs on every hand and double check before I click my action. I don't mind almost timing out. 16 7.96%
I just RAISE or FOLD. Why count?. 19 9.45%
What is an out?. 11 5.47%
It's all intuitive and automatic now. 83 41.29%
I count ocassionally on multiway pots. 72 35.82%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Is this unethical?

I know- my point is that "relative value/damage" arguments detract from the point that should be the only one- stealing is wrong and rationalizing it can't be acceptable.

I may be old, but we need to send more of these unambiguous messages to educate kids and thieves alike.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:47 PM

Downloading music isn't stealing. It's copyright infringement. There is a big difference.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:53 PM

I thought copyright infringement required the reuse of the materials in a commercial manner for your own profit.
No?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Downloading music isn't stealing. It's copyright infringement. There is a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]copyright infringment? Your not using the mp3's to make money. It is illegal because you are freely distributing copyrighted material. If thats copyright infringement, then you would be correct, but I thought it was something else. Illegal nonetheless.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:58 PM

I have mp3s! I'm going to burn in hell!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Final thoughts

Ok this thread grew to be a bit bigger than I had anticipated. Below are some revisions/fixes/thoughts:

1) I titled this post incorrectly. 'Is this unethical?' was a bad title. Why? Because I already knew it was unethical. What I wanted to know and ask you guys about was HOW unethical you think it was, to you personally. Obviously you know how unethical I think it is.

2) It's amazing to me that even though the vocal majority of you in this thread think this is a huge stealing issue, the poll results are remarkably even.

3) El D, you are right. Perhaps I exaggerated a bit when I said I would take any small risk as long as the reward was large enough. If a Ferrari was in the street with the keys in the ignition, I would not take it. Not because I'm afraid I would get caught, but because a theft of that magnitude would not sit well with my conscience. But personally I have no problem with using batting tokens like this. So I obviously have a 'line' somewhere. Where exactly it is, I'm not sure.

4) Despite the arguments to the contrary, I still do not see any difference between downloading mp3s and buying these batting tokens. With the tokens, I am buying objects with no inherent monetary value for pennies on the dollar, and using those objects as though they were legitimate. The batting cage owner will obviously lose money with each token I use. With mp3s, I am downloading objects with no inherent monetary value for free, and using those objects (burning to CD, etc.) as though they were legitimate. The music company, artist, etc will lose money with each mp3 I download.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:22 PM

Yes that is basically exactly what I'm asking. I just titled the post wrong and all hell broke loose.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Final thoughts

1. It's either unethical or it's not.

2. Thieves usually slither in the background.

3. Stealing is stealing.

4. Everything mentioned is stealing and therefore wrong.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm of course reaching here with my last statement to make a point, but there's a term for the specific personality I described.

[/ QUOTE ]

That implies to me that you are interested only in your personal needs and desires, without concern for the effects of your behavior on others.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Hey Satan, did you see spaceman is back?