Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What sushi roll should I try?
Philadelphia roll (avocado cream cheese, fish roe & smoked salmon) 6 17.65%
Crab tempura roll (deep fried crabmeat & cucumber inside) 14 41.18%
Salmon skin roll (broiled salmon & scallions) 5 14.71%
California roll (avocado, crabmeat, cucumber & fish roe) 9 26.47%
Boston roll (avocado, lettuce, mayo & shrimp) 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: How many of you people actually have real jobs?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does being a grad student count? It's almost like a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, he he he he, ha ha ha ha haw haw he ha ha ha!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Being a *serious* grad student is prolly one of the most difficult jobs out there. You have to bust your ass to earn the respect of students who are barely younger than you, and once you've graded their papers you have to somehow find the energy to motivate yourself into doing ridiculous amounts of original research.

I could go on, but my point is that it's exceedingly silly to think that grad students have it easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats if you want to be a teacher or whatever right? Like the grad students that teach the biology labs. Just being a graduate student doesnt mean you have to do all that [censored] does it

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to teach sections whether or not you want to become a professor. The brightest and most ambitious grad students may also have opportunities to give lectures.

Sure, it's easy to get away with being a slacker when you're a grad student...nobody's gonna care that you're destroying your career prospects...in fact, they're not always unhappy to see you fail, seeing as everyone's competing for the same few spots at the best universities.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not necessarily true, plenty of grad students are not involved with teaching undergraduate students. I am finishing up my thesis at the end of my Masters program right now (damn you poker, it should be done) and I was one of 3 graduate assistants in a program of 25-30 people. We were the only 3 that had anything to do with teaching and for the most part we only had to grade tests/quizzes or cover the occasional class when the professor was out of town.

As a grad student you only have to teach if you receive an assistantship, which is great if you can get it, but not all schools can afford to give all of their students these as they usually come with free tuition and/or a stipend. If you are getting a PhD it is much more common that you have to teach than if you are getting a Masters, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

THis past year i was a Project assistant. It's a pretty sweet deal IMO. At my university (uw-madison) it pays slighlty higher than a teaching assistant plus i dont have to grade papers etc. I found a professor who i like to work with and who had several grants but needed assistance so he brought me on board. Tuition paid for + a monthly stipend + health insurance..I cant complain. only 4 more years to go!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have a job. It took a long time to train for it. My job frequently involves sticking my finger in asses. My customers sometimes die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought your job was well paying? I know someone who makes 1.5 million /year at your job working in upstate new york.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You people all make me sad. Seriously.

I've never heard so much whining in my life about such great jobs, pretty much all of which guarantee a nice income and pretty much all of which provide you with much more job satisfaction than the vast majority of the world gets sewing shoes together and flipping burgers.

I mean, gimme a break. Would I rather pursue a career in a cutting edge field, around real people, doing important work, or would I rather sit around repeating the same menial task over and over every hour, eight times an hour, devoid of personal contact? hmmm, that's a tough one. Lazy bastards.

And the real problem is that I know just what most of you are like because I knew a lot of people just like you when I was in university. So busy cramming and studying so you could get your stellar marks, so you could get your big jobs, and all the while I was actually enjoying school because I actually liked what I was studying. Maybe it wasn't so smart picking your careers based solely on how much money you were gonna someday make when it turns out you hated it all along. Next life, try doing something that you believe in.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

word.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:38 PM

way to represent UW-madison. I've come to conclude we are a poker heavy school.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:39 PM

I don't know where I fit in here. I do have a job, but these days it doesn't really require 40 hours a week and it doesn't require pants. Lately, the amount of golf and poker I play during the week might outnumber the hours I put in doing real work. I'll be losing this job sometime in the next 5 months, whenever they get around to completing the sale of the company. This will be a perfect opportunity to "go pro" if I wanted, but honestly that life has little appeal to me. I would much rather get into the field I spent 6 years studying, but haven't used since graduate school. We'll see if I can make that happen...

Until then, poker will continue to be some nice side action. It may pay the bills for a little while when I'm searching for work, but that's all I'm really looking for at this point.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:43 PM

Have 2 jobs - stay-at-home dad during the day (7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.), copy editor at a newspaper at night (4-12 a.m.).

Play SNGs when I get home at night, and when my son goes down for his 2-hour nap around noon.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:55 PM

So, you could say that, in your experience, having children in NO WAY IMPACTED YOUR LIFE NEGATIVELY, right?

You could say that right here? In big letters?

And that HAVING A BABY MADE YOU AN EVEN BETTER POKER PLAYER, right?

These are all very true things, am I right? *wink wink*
Old 06-29-2005, 06:01 PM

I am a better at poker now that I have kids, than I was before I had them.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
way to represent UW-madison. I've come to conclude we are a poker heavy school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget me!
Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also want to be a teacher someday, but not till im older and have aquired a fair amount of money, maybe thats greedy, but I want to be comfortable and teaching isnt the way to go. But I do want to teach high school math and coach cross country and track and I feel that will be my best way to truly give back.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I want to do as well. I have a great engineering job right now and I'm good at what I do, but I would love to teach and coach if I ever hit it big in the WSOP.