Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: It really is just a game (WAY too long)

[ QUOTE ]
Driving this as far off-topic as I can...

[/ QUOTE ]

Intentional or unintentional?

Also... luck determines your lie.

Also... when they test clubs for certification and whatnot, they use a robotic arm, that gets as close as to an identical repeating swing as is possible through technology. They still show significant dispersion in ball flight.

I believe that there is in fact some randomness to how the ball leaves the clubface, because of impurities in both the balls and the clubface.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This helps me look at the game in proper perspective. Imagine someone making the following posts in a monopoly forum:

“They always land on Free Parking! What can I do?”

“I have my hotels set up, but they keep landing on the utilities instead of my property! What can I do?”

“I keep going to jail! What can I do?”

“They get all the good chance cards! What can I do?”

What can I do? Nothing is the answer. That’s the luck side of the game. Now, would it make sense to get upset about that in the game of monopoly and start mortgaging all your hotels and making stupid trades? Of course not! Monopoly tilt! Yet, we do that very thing in holdem when we get upset and starting playing loosing starters or going to far when we’re beaten. People are going to suck out! That’s the luck side of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome point. I really needed to hear that right now. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 AM

Bump...Good Post

[ QUOTE ]
The other thing I was thinking about on the way home was I couldn't think of a game where there was a high luck factor, yet a very "closed" game....maybe something like that game that's played where you're supposed to find which cup has the nut under it after someone quickly shuffles around the cups....I don't know.

I think it's interesting the different textures of games there are with these different mixes....very interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious where dominoes fits into the discussion. The luck factor is somewhat controlled by how many points you play to (variance can even out over time).

Dominoes was actually my predisessor to poker. I have played thousands of games and always said that I wish I could make a living playing dominoes for money...then I found poker and thought it would be easier to just learn that game.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In poker, I believe limit takes more expertise than NL to consistently win because the luck factor is higher. NL is the "Cadillac of Poker" precisely because it has a lower luck factor and the difference between skilled players and unskilled players is therefore greater. Note: this is very similar to the argument that Malumth makes in his Essays.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I always found it more challenging to play limit consistently well than NL.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it could also be said that the greater the edge available in a game, the more difficult it is to reach the higher levels a great amount of effort and study would be required.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this is true in general. Tic-Tac-Toe is a game of pure skill and I will never lose a game to my 8 year old daughter. Yet, within 5 minutes I could teach her everything I know.

Conversely, it would be easy to contrive a game where luck dominates yet the gulf between novice and expert is enormous. Let's change your dice game. Every time you roll three ones, you are required to correctly solve a problem from a graduate level Quantum Field Theory textbook in order to get your three points. The expert has a miniscule edge.

Lost Wages
Old 06-09-2005, 07:38 PM

A really great post man! Something everyone on the forum should read (except those who are tilting their BR:s to me)
Old 06-09-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it could also be said that the greater the edge available in a game, the more difficult it is to reach the higher levels a great amount of effort and study would be required.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this is true in general. Tic-Tac-Toe is a game of pure skill and I will never lose a game to my 8 year old daughter. Yet, within 5 minutes I could teach her everything I know.

Conversely, it would be easy to contrive a game where luck dominates yet the gulf between novice and expert is enormous. Let's change your dice game. Every time you roll three ones, you are required to correctly solve a problem from a graduate level Quantum Field Theory textbook in order to get your three points. The expert has a miniscule edge.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost Wages:

That was actually discussed somewhere in this thread, and I do agree. Not that you could find it in all these OT responses, though...
Old 06-09-2005, 11:30 PM

I almost always won when I got the orange property across form the jail. The orange was the best.

I totally disagree.
orange IS the best.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:53 AM

this was a really good/interesting thread

so how are the 2+2 monopoly games going? just the one?