Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: re: parental commentary and bk\'s story

[ QUOTE ]
... if you won't admit you pretend to be religiously and moral, but really you screw over everyone you possibly have a chance to and have too many neuroses to count...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know at least a couple people who are actually religious and never look to screw people over, and actually try to be good people. This post is a fairly simplistic view of things I would say, sorry you have had bad experiences.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: My story

Where do you play the higher limits at online
Old 05-07-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you really looked at how maladjusted society in general is by counting up the eating and drinking and drug disorders, the neurotic compulsions and compensations, the crime, moral hollowness, sex problems, religious buffoonery, and general misery common even among the most polished, glossily happy, camera-worth "success" stories,

their professed opinions crumble into meaninglessness and sound like little more than cover stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two words Blarg: Prozac.

I mean, I hate the world and everything in it. Even I am able to find some joy in life (without resorting to drugs more powerful than an occasional aspirin).

P.S. You might also check into using periods during a rant. That's the longest run-on sentence I have seen in a long time.

Oh, and BK. All I know is your posts on Micro's have been insightful and helpful for a lot of people. Therefore I wish you continued success in reward for your giving back.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:23 PM

I don't know how you could possibly have come at a stranger interpretation. I was not listing characteristics that every single person has, nor that every single person has in precise combination. Only a very bizarre reading and thought process could ever make you conclude that I was saying anything of the sort.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:33 PM

A long sentence isn't the same as a run-on sentence. Look it up.

As to what I noted, I'll stand by it. As the poster noted that I am responding to, the level of addiction in this country is huge. And for a reason. It would be wonderful to think that is indicative of, well, nothing at all. But it's not. People aren't out there self-medicating themselves in massive numbers for no reason. But like the choices we often make and the way many of us live our lives, it's not something we like to talk about or admit. I'll keep it under my hat if you'll do the same.

By the way, there's also a difference between an observation and a mood. If you think differently regarding that, you'll always be afraid to make an observation or express it, or else you'll always be the slave to your every passing mood.

Anyway, it's my contention that working a 40 hour week or more at a job, which is what most people do, is unnatural to the human spirit. And that's even if you like or profess in public to like your job. Cramming your soul into an office or cubicle or uniform for the best part of your life isn't soul-enhancing, and it naturally produces all sorts of toxic byproducts and disfunctions. It's what most of the world is stuck with, though, so it's more palatable either to not think about it or talk about it, or pretend you think it's just great, and everyone else should too.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:04 PM

Great posts Blarg. Your thoughts here and in the recent thread about the ethics of poker have been fantastic.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:50 PM

In response to twowords: reread what Blarq wrote, you guys are agreeing with each other. However, we all sin EVERY one of us. We all have our addictions. Ask any religious person and they will tell you that they are no exception.

Blarq: "unnatural to the human spirit" - I dont think this has anything to do with it. We could all be slaves working 16 hr days for the rest of our lives and have less "toxic byproducts and disfuntions"

"Toxic byproducts and disfunctions", diseases, evil are consequences of sin, everyone's sin. It has nothing to do with work. The more the world falls, the more the world sins, the worse the consequences will be.

The only path out is a path of righteousness. Good thing we have a manual for that.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:22 PM

Is this a joke? Sadly i don't think it is, but please don't derail BK's thread.

Posts like these(BK's) are great. They inspire you to not only do good at poker, but to always be striving to do better, to not settle for mediocrity. I first felt that reading Schneid's 60k in 60 days post, and this brings back that feeling.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:26 PM

Schneids quest post and davidross's journal were two of the best reads ever in these forums. Very inspiring, especially because you could see them unfold, and even follow along on the progress of some hands. And best of all, both had very happy endings.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:34 PM

Yes i forgot to mention davidross' posts too! Great stuff.