Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Making $150/day playing poker

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who trusts the claims of strangers on the internet about how much money they make gambling understands nothing about gambling, or the internet, or people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this to an extent but it's very ironic. If what you say is true, most of what this site is intended for, is illusory. Besides, if what you say is true, how can I believe it?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can do this easily playing a crapload of hands at .5/1 or NL 25.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think easily is the right word for .5/1.00. If you made 3 bb/100 you'd have to play 5K hands a day. I'm not sure that 3BB/100 or 5k hands a day is an easy thing much less both. Achievable? Probably. Easy? No.

--Zetack
Old 03-11-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can do this easily playing a crapload of hands at .5/1 or NL 25.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think easily is the right word for .5/1.00. If you made 3 bb/100 you'd have to play 5K hands a day. I'm not sure that 3BB/100 or 5k hands a day is an easy thing much less both. Achievable? Probably. Easy? No.

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 80 table hours in a day would be a feat as a one off - let alone regularly.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:20 AM

How easy do you think it is to average $150/day
playing poker?

Very. The keys are:

1) Multitabling: having the right two monitor setup. Most
experienced players should be able to 4-table low limit.
Even easier if one is able to eight-table.

2) Finding a sufficiently satisfying limit and putting in
sufficient hours online. For a $100-200 player, that might
only be just a few hours as long as the games are going.
For a $2-4 player, this would obviously be almost like a
full-time job, and for many, not a very satisfying one.

3) Rake kickbacks, bonuses and propping/hosting: if someone
is making almost $100 a day without a rake rebate or reload
bonuses or prop payments, it's only a short hop to $150 a
day.

For a student of the game, and someone willing to
learn, how long do you think it would take them to be able
to make this much per day?

This may be a difficult question and would depend mostly on
the individual. The best candidates would obviously be
disciplined, self-critical, self-motivated, intelligent,
analytical, and not risk adverse.

What do you think would be the best way to accomplish
this goal would be?

Even if someone were to start from complete scratch, the
best way would be to have an expert mentor together with the
right literature and software. Depending on the individual,
and how much time and money he/she is willing to invest, it
could take as little as one or two months, or possibly,
never!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i lost about $300 before i had any clue what i was doing. then i deposited another $50 and haven't looked back since. i'm fairly confident i'm a winning player just not winning enough to really make it worthwhile as a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only lost $300 learning to play poker, my hats off to ya. When I started almost 10 years ago I will never forget how much I went through. I easily lost close to $1000 or more my first month learning 2-5 hold em. Ouch. Over the years I have become what I would consider a winning player. What I mean by that, is I win more than I lose and I keep records to make sure it is happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why lose at all? I haven't lost any of my deposited money to my different poker accounts.

This worked for me, I don't know if it's the best approach, but here is how I learned to play Texas Hold'em poker (without losing any money more than the costs for the books and software):

1. Buy an easy newbie book, Lee Jones is the best book to start with in my mind (then later on you can move on to 2plus2's SSH). Read through the book and understand most of it.

2. Start play poker online with play money, this is of course way different from real money poker but it teaches you the rules and helps you to get the feel of the game. When playing, use the start hand requirements from the book.

3. Then I would buy Wilson's Turbo Texas Hold'em software which is as near as real play you can get playing a "PC-game". Play against some of the lowlimit lineups you find there and play until you win on a regular basis (I actually played a couple of months before real money play).

You will definitely have great use of this software later on when you get better and want to do different simulations/tests - as example try to play certain hands against X number of oppontents or certain hands on certain flops etc.

4. Deposit money at some site and start play at micro limits.

5. When you feel good about your game, memorized your start hand requirements etc. then read Small Stakes Holdem from twoplustwo.com and keep on improving your game.

Btw, Poker Tracker is a great program to help you analyze your game and to learn how your opponents play, what starthands they play, what they bet etc. Keep notes about your opponents. The program can import your notes (from Party poker, Prima poker, Empire, Stars, and more) and then export the notes back when you have edited them in the software.

Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

/Hagel.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:04 PM

I prefer the old fashioned method. Start out with a bankroll of 200 BB in a game you are confident of beating. After building your bankroll to 200 BB for the next limit move on up. Repeat this until you are playing at a high enough limit where the time you are able to play will produce the average earnings of $150/day you are seeking. This process could take several months, several years, or never - depending on your talent and how hard you work to improve your game.

What I like about this method is that it can potentially scale you up to the big time. If you're not interested in such horizens you might look at BonusWhoring. It won't make you your $150/day but you might grind out $10,000/yr from the Bonuses plus some more thousands from the multi-table low limit poker play you work at to earn the bonuses.

PairTheBoard
Old 03-13-2005, 05:49 AM

More obvious is your best points are that you're ugly and smell bad. You have that angry moron look that one typically sees in horror movies.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're just a "student" of the game, you should probably invest in certain books such as the poker theory one by sklansky

[/ QUOTE ]

my poker library is already pretty good
i have

championship nl & pl (my first book, i'm aware of the forums thoughts)
theory of poker
tpfap
internet texas hold
HoH
improve your poker
championship satellite strategy
PoP
SS2
SSH