[ QUOTE ]
Some S's you are missing:

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation, Dirty, Goo
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions, Talking Book, Songs in the Key of Life
Stone Temple Pilots - Core, Purple
Strokes, The - Is This It

Some of these have probably been mentioned. I haven't read the whole thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
All of these have been mentioned, except for Stevie Wonder. Probably because Stevie Wonder belongs in a thread for Ws.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Help me build my mp3 collection. Letter S

thought i needed to add some death metal into the mix
Old 08-26-2005, 01:48 PM

you thought wrong, but thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 01:51 PM

LOL ur very welcome it was worth a try.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:27 PM

I didn't insult everyone. I complimented gorie.

It's funny to me that most people will readily admit that someone who cooks a homemade Bolognese with fresh pasta and homemade bread has better taste than someone who whips up a box of Kraft Mac and Cheese and a piece of Wonder Bread but when it comes to music people get all bent when the same obvious taste differences are pointed out.

Ditto with taste in art, film, etc.. Who do you trust to get your movie recommendations from: the guy who's favorite is the newest Michael Bay blockbuster or the guy who's favorite is the new Won Kar Wai? One certainly knows more about the medium than the other.

Sorry if I was too blunt for you. gorie submitted a list that was full of good music. That was recognizable to me, since we share some of the same preferences. Others responded saying he must be too hip for good music, or too emo. They obviously do not know the type of music he listens to, or whether it is good, because they badly misspoke on both accounts.

Maybe they were being sarcastic and I missed it. Regardless, they showed that they do not know much about good music, and that they have a preference for music that is mainstream, and somehow feel that there is connection between mainstream and quality. Otherwise, why comment that a list of recommended bands is missing mainstream stuff?

If I submitted a list of great steak joints, would people find it necessary to comment that I left out Sizzler? Doubtful; it is obvious to most that it is not in the same class. Is music different? Or are people just more sensitive when people comment about their taste in it?

My whole approach to commenting about music with people I don't know is to encourage them to look outside the usual sources to find stuff that they like. This stuff might sound very similar to the mainstream stuff they like, but they are not aware of it because they have not widened their scope. In my opinion, it is usually better, because the commercial influence is not so pervasive and bands are not asked to mold their sound to fit the radio.

So when I saw gorie's list, which features some great old and new rock and roll that not everyone is aware of, I thought it necessary to give him props for doing a good job pointing out some acts that might not be so obvious to the OP. Others found it necessary to imply he is elitist or does not like good music. Those comments had a basis not in his taste but in their taste, which does not leave room for non-mainstream acts, from what I could tell. So I pointed out that it is their taste that is bad, not his. And I did it very bluntly. So what.

KJS
Old 08-26-2005, 02:31 PM

KJS, the whole thing went WAY over your head, you completely whiffed on it and blew up and now you're on some musical elitist rant. Let it go. It was all just a dumb little joke, you read way too much into it, made gross errors in assumption, and blew the whole thing way out of proportion. I'm sorry if you thought I was calling Gorie's music list emo. I wasn't, but I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Let's all get back on our merry little way and stop pretending like we're all assholes.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM

I was pretty drunk last night and I guess my interpretation skills paid the price.

And I don't think anyone is an a**hole.

*Hugs*

KJS
Old 08-26-2005, 02:35 PM

i dont know if youre doggin rockastanky, but fwiw he lost all his cred in my book with these two comments.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Any particular reason why you want entire albums? Most albums just don't seem good enough to warrant the space they consume.

[/ QUOTE ]

and in response to gorie's list

[ QUOTE ]
Are you too hip to listen to good bands or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

the use of the word good was just terrible there.

oh well, im sure he doesnt care, and i still appreciate his help
Old 08-26-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Me Too

Six Feet Under
Soilent Green
Suffocation

\m/

KJS
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 PM

there is another S that i had in my downloads i forgot to mention. band name is Say Hi To Your Mom. i was a bit weary because the name sounds so trendy i thought it was gonna be another simple plan or whatever, but so far its good if you ask me. the album i have is ferocious mopes (2005). if anyone else already mentioned them i guess i missed it.

mark