Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2004, 05:48 PM

Default The solution for the \"real man\"

The real man, if he is feeling like a fight, goes out and kicks the [censored] out of the guy without making a big deal of it. If he doesn't, he acts like bison.

What he does not to is log on to the internet and post a topic like this for all of his internet friends to debate about. The real man ultimately does not care about what people on the two plus two forum really think. The posting shows some severe type of insecurity, a quality definately not possessed by the "real man."
Old 09-26-2004, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Who Is More Of A Man?

Oh this is fun! Aside from more or less agreeing with Sklansky's thoughts (and some of the others) it might be irrelevant.

First, we have to acknowledge that the EV of the situation is -much- higher if no one at your table respects you, so take the verbal abuse with an inward smirk. If you can manage that without going on tilt, then you have the stronger character, but that wasn't the question. Well, except that I'd rather be that guy.

So yeah, our society definitely rewards people who tackle their problems head on, and if you see this as a problem (well you probably shouldn't be playing poker seriously) then asking him politely to shut up (and threatening violence obliquely) is certainly more 'manly' but I've rarely considered that a compliment. Especially with quotes around it. Cowardice is about motivation here. There's no 'bravery' implied in either situation, though I would certainly say the person who got emotionally upset then stormed off wouldn't be the one you'd want to be.

And last, who is cooler? I don't know. The guy who smiles calmly in the face of the idiot who's clearly lost his cool (keep in mind that said jerk is quickly losing the respect of the entire table, since no one sympathizes with your bad beat but you and everyone likes a winner if it isn't their money that's being lost) while raking pot after pot is definitely the poker player I aspire to be, definitely 'cooler' than the one who can't take confrontation without getting violent. I'd admire the guy who could 'outplay' the jerk with calm, well turned phrases and get him to steam more... but I couldn't be that one.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Erostratus brings up a valid point. Suppose you suffer a bad beat, and your opponent goes off on a Mike Matusow-esque tirade, perhaps like the one we saw on TV recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

An excellent example. What did Fossilman do in that situation? Who won and who lost that little confrontation? Who looked like a man and who looked like a ignorant brat?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should re-read the post your commenting on, because he states that the person never apologizes and doesn't stop, unlike Mike.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Matusow hadn't let up, he'd have looked even dumber when he busted out and Raymer won the $5 million.

-- M. Ruff
Old 09-27-2004, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I've written before, the problem with fighting to settle a dispute is that the victor is the better fighter, not the one who was right in the dispute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, from a certain perspective, this is a feature, not a bug...

-- M. Ruff
Old 09-27-2004, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And last, who is cooler? I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you don't. You can't answer that question without knowing how the two guys are dressed.

-- M. Ruff
Old 09-29-2004, 02:48 AM

I would pull my sword out of my trenchcoat and lay waste to all who oppose me...

Seriously, I believe that the real man can contain his anger. He should only fight back if he is swung at first. A real man can take verbal abuse and be able to diffuse the situation using his brain and verbal skills. The person is obviously emotional and therefore not playing optimal poker and can be taken advantage of for his money. The same thing goes the other way, though. YOU can be provoked and you can go on tilt. When that happens, it's a good time to take a break. You're there to play poker, not to fight for your manhood. If you want to do that, you can take up boxing or streetfight for money.

A wise man once said, "Fighting is no good. Someone always gets hurt."
Old 09-29-2004, 06:08 AM

Stupid people pay attention to stupid people wanting attention.

When you grow up you will be able to just smile and focus on the game.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I've written before, the problem with fighting to settle a dispute is that the victor is the better fighter, not the one who was right in the dispute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they were fighting about who was the better fighter...

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-29-2004, 11:57 AM

I don't know what the cool strong man does in this situation but the clever man should congragulate and re-enforce this gigantic fish's bone head play. Then later when the clever man is done taking all the fish's money he should console and encourage him. This might be tough on one's ego but good for one's pocket and good for poker.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Chris Brown you are Wrong

You simply don't understand. Ask any martial arts Black Belt how he responds to people like that fan.

You will be told he ignores them unless there is a direct threat that forces him to defend himself.

Black Belts don't have to prove anything. NFL players don't either. YOU have to prove you're tough because you don't really believe it.

This thread has gotten so much attention because the adults are trying to educate the children.

Al