Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Sox Bullpen Questions

[ QUOTE ]
if schilling cannot come back as a starter but instead goes to the pen I will be extremely happy. your starting rotation is not great, and the pen is straight up bad. all the while sox supporters have been saying "well when schilling gets back and is the ace look how good it will be", but that is too optimistic. i doubt schilling will be as effective as he once was. at least dount count on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh...the Sox are in 1st place and 11 games over .500 with the rotation the way it is and one of the worst pens in the majors. The starters for the most part have done their job, and if Curt Schilling is coming in for the final four or five outs with a 1-2 run lead, Sox fans can certainly breathe a lot easier than they do right now.

No one knows for sure, but I'd strongly suspect this is a temporary move to a) immediately improve the pen, b) let Schilling continue to get back to his old self, and c) give the Sox some much needed leverage in the market before the deadline. I fully admit my bias as a Sox fan, but I think this is a brilliant move.

If nothing else, it sure as hell can't hurt with the way our bullpen has played...so if Schilling isn't quite ready to handle 7 innings yet but can dominate for a couple of innings, then why the [censored] not?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:17 PM

I think calling putting Schilling in the bullpen "a brilliant move" is just not right. I'm not gonna tell you its awful and a fuckup, because it isnt, but it's not genius or brilliant.

The main drift of my post was:

I talk with sox fans and argue about the relative strength of the two teams, and when I point out the sox rotation, isnt really stellar, they say "well when we get schill back after the AS break we'll be awesome". My point is, don't count on it.

From the 4-5 clips of him pitching he did not look that great, he was not moving his weight far off the mound and didnt look like the good schilling. but im talking out my ass here. it would be interesting to hear how his velocity was. i think everyone should view him as "injured/not good until he proves otherwise".
Old 07-06-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think calling putting Schilling in the bullpen "a brilliant move" is just not right. I'm not gonna tell you its awful and a fuckup, because it isnt, but it's not genius or brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough...I still think it's brilliant, but no matter what you have to admit that its certainly gutsy and shows that this group is thinking outside the box to solve a big problem.

[ QUOTE ]
I talk with sox fans and argue about the relative strength of the two teams, and when I point out the sox rotation, isnt really stellar, they say "well when we get schill back after the AS break we'll be awesome". My point is, don't count on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll see about that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
it would be interesting to hear how his velocity was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reports say he hit 96mph in Pawtucket, 92-93 consistently.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so it boils down to this. he doesnt have the ability to be top notch over a full game right now. cool, instead of building himself back up at AAA he does it from the pen.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is this: what's the best way to get Schilling back to 100%? Because if we're moving him to the pen to help the Sox as they're struggling, but not taking the best route to getting him healthy, I'm very unhappy about it. We need him starting in the playoffs, and I don't want to sacrifice that for better middle-inning relief in late July.

But, if we're killing two birds with one stone, nursing him back to health while helping out the club, this is inspired. I'm just thinking that if it were THAT easy, why hasn't it been done before?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:43 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. To me he's injured until he pitches well in the majors.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, if we're killing two birds with one stone, nursing him back to health while helping out the club, this is inspired. I'm just thinking that if it were THAT easy, why hasn't it been done before?

[/ QUOTE ]

the M's did this a couple of years ago w/ Randy Johnson, IIRC
Old 07-07-2005, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the M's did this a couple of years ago w/ Randy Johnson, IIRC

[/ QUOTE ]

smoltz did it too. Almost didn't go back permanently.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:53 AM

when I point out the sox rotation, isnt really stellar

its all relative. having the best rotation in the division (close with TOR i admit) is good enough for me for now.

it would be interesting to hear how his velocity was

the juiced down version has him at 94 tops and 89-91 on consistent basis.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 AM

anyways, on to real bullpen news. foulke is getting scoped Thursday, which IMO is great news for the organization. it means this guy probably HASNT lost it and hopefully can contribute this year. 4-6 weeks in the initial verdict for an injury that has gotten progressively worse for foulke over a few years (francona).
Old 07-07-2005, 06:05 AM

scott cassidy called up:

ERA WHIP BAA DIPS xERA ERC H/9 R/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 K/BB
3.81 1.27 .240 3.13 3.25 3.10 7.9 4.4 0.6 3.5 9.9 2.8

scouting report from soxprospects:

Scouting Report: A converted starter in 2002, Cassidy has shown some flashes of excellence out of the pen. Cassidy throws mainly a fastball and a change, with an occasional curve. Borderline Major Leaguer.

pitched in majors in '02 for jays 58 games and 66 IP. 12hr, 32 bb, 7HBP, 48k's.