Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Re: The best rock album of all time is . . .

[ QUOTE ]
I think that most posters find "the Dead" horrible. A friend of mine would put on "the dead" whenever he wanted everyone to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be on acid to appreciate the dead. I went to 5 Dead concerts and I don't think I ever went while not tripping.

What does a straight person say at a Dead concert?
"What's that noise? "
Old 07-06-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Replacements

Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me

Close Second

Ramones - Ramones
Old 07-06-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: an out of touch with reality 20 year old\'s vote

Yikes, I'm really getting old, My daughter has gone to the Incubus concert in Toronto tonight, and I've never even heard of them.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: an out of touch with reality 20 year old\'s vote

heard of faith no more? incubus is a knock-off band which becomes more mainstream with every album.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:49 PM

Default The Furs

"the Psych Furs were....and still are...my all-time favorite band. although their later stuff was so-so compared with their first couple of albums."

I've only really gotten into the Furs in the last couple years, but boy, have I ever! Actually, the last two (out of print)studio albums, Book Of Days & World Outside, have really grown on me. They're not perfect albums, but there're 9-10 magnifcent songs btwn the two, including two unequaled acoustic numbers.

In fact, I told John Ashton after the show here that World Outside was ten years ahead of its time and was where Colplay & Radiohead got all their ideas and he simply nodded!

He did seem quite flattered when I also said that Forever Now was as close as anyone's come to Sgt Pepper & Abbey Road's 'sound', and that Talk Talk Talk was better than 90% of Bowie's stuff. Helluva nice guy.

The show was in a small club, about 300 people. Not really "spectacular" but far better than I'd expected, esp. Richard's voice.

I'm still a big fan of The Cars first two albums, but the Furs rule, man, the Furs rule OK. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Be sure to check out their site, burneddowndays.com if you haven't already.

You ever hear the song Hope Sandoval of Mazzy did w/the Chemical Brothers? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 09:29 PM

Default Who\'s Next

"My pick for best rock album is "Who's Next" by The Who. Consistent all the way through and it still plays well almost 40 years later. "

Very strong contender. Similar to what I said about Zep IV down below, you have to throw out the radio overkill. However, like Physical Graffiti, I prefer a 'compacted' Quadrophenia, which I suppose is kind of cheating! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 10:54 PM

Tie at the top between Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street...

Gojacketz
Old 07-06-2004, 11:26 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i'm completely proud of 2+2 (a first) because of this thread. zeppelin represent. they defined it.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:05 AM

Shame on all of you for not including Dylan.

I vote Highway 61 Revisted followed by Live '66.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:28 AM

dylan is folk, not rock. barely folk/rock.