Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Lets end the Stupidity Please

I don't understand so basically you are waiting for AA-99 AK-AQ to even play with a medium stack??? Then proceed to get blinded down to a short stack then loosen up and start pushbotting with crap??? WTF???
Old 10-27-2005, 11:24 AM

Harrington doesn't say to play loosely.. he just says when you play a hand, you have to play it aggressive.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand so basically you are waiting for AA-99 AK-AQ to even play with a medium stack??? Then proceed to get blinded down to a short stack then loosen up and start pushbotting with crap??? WTF???

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. What is wrong with this approach?

The problem is that with 10-15xBB, when you open raise, you are pot committed, so you need a strong hand to raise with. A lot of times you are better off limping or looking for opportunities to push at limpers or reraise allin. You may be better off stealing a pot with a marginal hand by reraising allin or pushing at limpers than by open raising.

From early position, you need a quality hand to raise. From later position, you can loosen up, but you still need a decent hand.

You may wind up with a lower M, partly by being blinded down, and partly because the blinds increase, then you can open up and push with marginal hands.

You are not always going to wind up with a shorter stack in relation to the blinds by playing solidly in the orange zone. Sometimes you will maintain this M level for a while or rise to a higher M level.

I don't see why it is stupid moronic or whatever to sometimes let yourself fall into the red zone as the blinds increase. Atleast you haven't busted out with reckless play.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 10-27-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lol is right.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM

Read the rest of my reply. The other poster summed up my approach in kind of a negative sounding way, but it is not entirely inaccurate. I don't see what is wrong with playing solidly when your stack size gives you very few other good options and playing very aggressively with a large or small stack.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is that with 10-15xBB, when you open raise, you are pot committed,

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. If it is abundantly obvious you are beat just fold and work from there. Say you raise from mp with 99 and are called from a tight button the flop comes AKQ. Since you raised now you have to shove because you are "pot committed". Of course not. You check/fold and continue from there.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read the rest of my reply. The other poster summed up my approach in kind of a negative sounding way, but it is not entirely inaccurate. I don't see what is wrong with playing solidly when your stack size gives you very few other good options and playing very aggressively with a large or small stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think you are VERY afraid to play a mid stack because of your lack of postflop ability. That is something you we all need to work at and it is not a knock on you.

But lets say you have a middle stack and are on the bubble why the hell would you want to tighten up. Also you are too afraid of busting out. You will never win a huge tournament like this. I like what amir vahedi said " in order to live you must be willing to die"
Old 10-27-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not true. If it is abundantly obvious you are beat just fold and work from there. Say you raise from mp with 99 and are called from a tight button the flop comes AKQ. Since you raised now you have to shove because you are "pot committed". Of course not. You check/fold and continue from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not completely pot committed post flop but you are pot committed preflop. If you raise and are called in most cases you should get the rest of the money in on the flop, but you can get away from it.

Say you have 12xBB and AJs or KQs in early position with no ante or a small online ante. You should open limp or fold. Raising is very bad. If someone has you dominated, they will reraise and you will have to call or fold 1/4 of your stack.

It may seem retarded to only raise with 99-AA and AQ-AK from early position in the orange zone and then push with junk as a real short stack, but this is actually good strategy.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not completely pot committed post flop but you are pot committed preflop. If you raise and are called in most cases you should get the rest of the money in on the flop, but you can get away from it.

Say you have 12xBB and AJs or KQs in early position with no ante or a small online ante. You should open limp or fold. Raising is very bad. If someone has you dominated, they will reraise and you will have to call or fold 1/4 of your stack.

It may seem retarded to only raise with 99-AA and AQ-AK from early position in the orange zone and then push with junk as a real short stack, but this is actually good strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you just talking about UTG?? What about middle and late positions do you still only wait for AK 99-AA???