Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: I almost got run off the road today...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Explorer was in his lane. He did nothing wrong. OP made no attempt to slow down and get in behind whatever cars were there. In fact, he waited until the last second, slammed his brakes on, and put the other driver in danger because he was unwilling to slow down earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really trying to understand your reasoning here, as it really doesn't make much sense. The Explorer intentionally blocked me in my lane. Last possible second? I told you in my original post that he was hanging right with me on my left rear quarterpanel. I had nowhere to go. He literally was trying to push me off the road.

I don't see where you guys are getting these ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where am I getting the idea that you didn't slow down earlier, and in turn endangered other people? From your original post.

[ QUOTE ]
So here I am, floored, trying to get away from this guy, and he's just hanging out on my left-rear quarter panel.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The point that I'm trying to make is that I had no choice. Unless you actually saw this take place, how can you even make any judgement on what I should have done?

My question to you: Do you hold the Explorer blameless in this situation? If so, why? If not, why not?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If the right lane is a through lane there are 2 scenarios.

#1 - Everyone knows the right lane ends so they all queue in the left lane. 1 idiot see the queue and thinks he can get a few car lenghts ahead by using the right lane to cut in front of everyone waiting. = dick

#2 - Unsuspecting driver doesn't know the right lane ends. When he notices he needs to merge he signals and merges into a safe opening. = dick

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

There is no excuse in my mind. There is a reason that all the cars are in the left lane. Get in line.

[/ QUOTE ]

You, sir, are an idiot and all of your type should have to take a bus everywhere.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

#1 - Everyone knows the right lane ends so they all queue in the left lane. 1 idiot see the queue and thinks he can get a few car lenghts ahead by using the right lane to cut in front of everyone waiting. = dick

#2 - Unsuspecting driver doesn't know the right lane ends. When he notices he needs to merge he signals and merges into a safe opening. = dick

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

There is no excuse in my mind. There is a reason that all the cars are in the left lane. Get in line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, maybe it's different in the US but frankly drivers here are just unobservant. They don't use lanes when there's no reason not to, and especially if one can only use a lane during certain hours (because of parking or buses or whatever), they almost never look at the sign to see what time they're allowed to use the lane, they just use the other lane.

People not being in a lane is not nearly a good enough reason for me to not use it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in Seattle, traffic is horrible. Just this morning it took me 2 hours to drive 11 miles. I can run faster than that. Just a little taste of how bad traffic is here, and will only continue to get worse. Most people work 8 hours a day. My day ends up being 11 hours with an hour to an hour and a half drive to and from work, again, only 11 miles each way.

When you're an hour late for work, every little punk that cuts you off to save 4 car lengths becomes your worst enemy. Luckily I don't even have CLOSE to some of the road rage that a lot of other drivers have in this area, I could have been dead by now. Just this summer there were at least 10 incidents of road rage reported in the area, and a few deaths.

Here's the situation I sit through every morning:

I roll up (in the left lane) to a "zipper" intersection. A light that has two lanes that merge in to one in about 300 yards. The next light is 350 yards away. Cars are stacked up from the light 350 yards away, and are only about 200 yards away. The left lane (or queue) is usually stacked about 30 cars deep. Some jackass usually pulls up in to the right lane (read: with no room to actually get ahead, as the traffic is close enough at the next light to prevent him from merging SAFELY).

To me, this is cutting in line. We're all going to be stuck again at the next light. But, this guy doesn't want to wait and decides to skip the line. Maybe it's not the same in other parts of the country or world, but this is the [censored] I deal with on a daily basis.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
The point that I'm trying to make is that I had no choice. Unless you actually saw this take place, how can you even make any judgement on what I should have done?

[/ QUOTE ]

You were able to get over behind him later but couldn't have done it before? Oh, and if you don't want judgements based on all the information you can give us, keep your sob story to yourself.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
My question to you: Do you hold the Explorer blameless in this situation? If so, why? If not, why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blameless how? Could he have been more courteous about it? Of course. Did he do anything illegal? No. Could you still have made this a non-incident by changing how you drove? Yes.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 PM

This is another COMPLETELY DIFFERENT situation from the one in question.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:06 PM

First of all, thank you for a thoughtful post. This thread has been lacking when it comes to that from some people. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do understand your concern with cutting people off only to gain an extra few carlengths. I will agree that that is pretty dumb, and I don't do things like that.

But as you can see from the satellite picture of the intersection I posted a page or so back, this is a pretty rural area. If I get in front of traffic, I have free run to go at a good pace. The next light is easily a mile down the road. As you pointed out though, doing this in a crowded area (which I'm familiar with, since I lived in San Diego for a long time) is a bad idea.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is another COMPLETELY DIFFERENT situation from the one in question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that. I was just trying to explain where I was coming from.

Which is why any time I read this type of story or hear about it from someone I ask:

"Were you merging?"

"Well...yeah"

"Did you try slowing down and getting behind the person?"

"No, but he was speedi..."

"Maybe you should try just getting in line next time".
Old 09-07-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You were able to get over behind him later but couldn't have done it before? Oh, and if you don't want judgements based on all the information you can give us, keep your sob story to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the original post closely, you'll notice that I had to slam on my brakes to get behind him, putting another car behind him in some risk. Do you think that I should have done this earlier, or only when it was imminently necessary? Also, please read my post below this one.

[ QUOTE ]
Blameless how? Could he have been more courteous about it? Of course. Did he do anything illegal? No. Could you still have made this a non-incident by changing how you drove? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another question: Could he have made this a non-incident by changing the way he drove? I already told you that his actions (pacing my every move) were intentional.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:12 PM

I would like to also point out to everyone that the Explorer was behind me as I passed through the intersection. He floored it, caught up, and then paced me. At no time did I have time to simply merge behind him like normal.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You, sir, are an idiot and all of your type should have to take a bus everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliment. Us "idiots" don't create dangerous situations followed by road rage actions. You obviously haven't read my later post, and have never sat through Seattle BACKROAD traffic. I may be an idiot, but I'm not the one being shot at or brawling on the shoulder.