Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Self-mate In 1

[ QUOTE ]
I feel quite confident that the Army will achieve its goals on volunteer recruitment, or it will institute a draft

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone said earlier, head to your local Army base and see if they share your confidence that they'll meet their goals in volunteer recruitment and that you're not needed.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Army poised to miss 2005 recruiting goal (AP)

[ QUOTE ]
So once recruiting goals are met no problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the military says they've got enough man-power and no longer need volunteers - then yes, no problem to support and not enlist, IMO.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Just not you. Which makes me question where or not you truly believe in these goals. Which makes you a hypocrite.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is ridiculous. It's possible to believe in a goal but simultaneously not be willing to die for it. No one's in Iraq involuntarily.

Just to repeat:
My support for the Iraq War is based on my opinion about what is good for the US.
My decision not to enlist is based on my opinion about what's good for me.

This is not a contradiction.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel quite confident that the Army will achieve its goals on volunteer recruitment, or it will institute a draft

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone said earlier, head to your local Army base and see if they share your confidence that they'll meet their goals in volunteer recruitment and that you're not needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you almost parsed that entire sentence. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get there eventually.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel quite confident that the Army will achieve its goals on volunteer recruitment

[/ QUOTE ]

Take my Open Challenge if you're so confident you're not needed. Free $250.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's possible to believe in a goal but simultaneously not be willing to die for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'goal' you're talking about needs to be achieved through war. We're not talking about goals like trying losing 15 pounds or getting a promotion at work.

If you think a war is necessary, you should be willing to go die for it. If you're unwilling to die for a war you claim is necessary, you're a hypocrite. To say something is necessary, by it's very defintion, is saying you have an obligation to act on it.

Saying a war is necessary but not fighting in it is hypocritical - you don't really feel the war is necessary.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The 'goal' you're talking about needs to be achieved through war. We're not talking about goals like trying losing 15 pounds or getting a promotion at work.

If you think a war is necessary, you should be willing to go die for it. If you're unwilling to die for a war you claim is necessary, you're a hypocrite. To say something is necessary, by it's very defintion, is saying you have an obligation to act on it.

Saying a war is necessary but not fighting in it is hypocritical - you don't really feel the war is necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we're using necessary in the same way. (come to think of it, I don't know if I described the war as necessary...) I think it was the correct move, but that doesn't give it any moral hold over me.

Let me explain to you how I came to decide that invading Iraq was a good idea. I considered the possibility that Iraq had WMDs, which I judged to be high. I felt this was a big problem. I also thought about how a successful conclusion to the war would advance US policy a gread deal. I then considered the likely costs, and decided that the benefits FOR THE NATION outweighed the costs FOR THE NATION. If you implanted my brain into anyone else's body, they would come to the same conclusion. My political opinion about the war is INDEPENDENT OF MY PERSONAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Got that?

On the other hand, my decision not to enlist is based on my personal situation and my desire not to go to Iraq.

Now, there is no contradiction here. If you want to call me a hypocrite or complain in any other way, you should explain to me why any one of the statements I have just made is wrong or inappropriate. Don't just rehash your dumb necessity argument. Tell me how I should reweigh my political or personal calculus and why.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Army poised to miss 2005 recruiting goal (AP)

I agree with him calling you out.

I dated a girl who was in the reserves and she missed school for 3 semesters to go to Iraq. She supported the war and did what she needed to.

You can do both. The only reason you don't is because you're like Bush and would rather someone else go die for your benefit.

*War should be put to a public vote. Anyone who votes to go to war just enlisted. Problem solved.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me explain to you how I came to decide that invading Iraq was a good idea. I considered the possibility that Iraq had WMDs, which I judged to be high. I felt this was a big problem. I also thought about how a successful conclusion to the war would advance US policy a gread deal. I then considered the likely costs, and decided that the benefits FOR THE NATION outweighed the costs FOR THE NATION.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I considered that there was even a 5% chance Iraq had WMD, I would have agreed with the first part of your post. the fact is we knew that they didn't have any before the invasion, we were told this by one of top weapons experts, who worked in Iraq for 8 years. Unfortunately we never got to the bottom of this, because he mysteriously turned up dead in a wood a couple of days later. WMD is a total red herring and everyone who mentions it as a reason or justification for the war is fooling none but themselves. There may be factors which made this war worthwhile, theres hope albeit slim for a better future for Iraqis, that cannot be just swept away. One thing is for sure, the political side was handled just about as badly as it possibly could have been, certainly in the UK at any rate.

Regards Mack
Old 08-11-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My political opinion about the war is INDEPENDENT OF MY PERSONAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Got that?

On the other hand, my decision not to enlist is based on my personal situation and my desire not to go to Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have to separate the 'political' you from the 'personal' you, it's self evident why you're a hypocrite.