Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: OMFG: I just got recalled to active duty

ah read on....nice joke lol tardos!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i know how you feel... i had to literally get up and walk away from the computer... Then I thought "if they can recall someone after 12 years, they can recall me after only 4 years!... [censored]!!!" So I broke out my AF contract and 214 to make sure I had no more time left

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pwnage in the first degree.

VNH youtalkfunny.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry, all those people with american flag stickers on their ford expeditions are looking out for you

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha
Old 04-01-2005, 11:55 AM

Come on man, it's OOT... it's for time wasting. Plus I got a decent laugh at the end, he had me feeling sympathetic for him and then he drops the bomb. Nice played.

I know there is some more useful stuff in OOT but you can't expect this not to happen and get angry about it.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this isn't an April Fool's day joke, I feel bad for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, don't feel bad for me.

PWNED!!! ALL OF YOU!!!

Nice call, mano!

[/ QUOTE ]
lolol

I took a break for a few days, and, when catching up, didn't notice the date on the original post.

Very nice job - just enough detail to seem realistic. (I scored a 145 on the D-Lab [Defense Language Aptitude Test -AF cutoff for interpreters and Intelligence Interrogators, etc, is 70, CIA cutoff is 90] during Basic Training, and had daily meetings for two weeks w/ a bunch of senior NCOs and officers, trying to get me to switch from "Open Electronics" to "Open General," so they could send me to Monterey. So, I do know how much pressure they put on people who can learn languages. And yes, it is a 52 week course, etc..

Even so, I started a response, about how this had to be BS, as, not only does the military not allow people on the "fat boy program" IN the military - even in this day of edited laws, etc, but, also, last I heard, Monterey was one of the military bases that was closed in the 90's. So, the lovely amount of detail tripped you up. Before I posted it, though, I decided to finish the thread.

Lovely April Fool's joke. One of the best I've seen in years.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:26 AM

Thanks, Buk.

Monterey is still going. It was nearby Fort Ord that got mothballed.

You should've went to Monterey. I don't know where you went, or what you did, but for anyone reading this who is in the military: NEVER PASS UP A CHANCE TO GO TO MONTEREY, FOR AS LONG AS THEY WILL LET YOU. I never met anyone who was stationed there, who didn't love it.

The biggest perk about being stationed there (aside from the fact that it's on the gorgeous central California coast) is that the army wants you to concentrate on your studies, so they don't go overboard with inspecting your room, or marching around, or crap like that. Forget about bouncing a quarter on your bedspread--go ahead and throw a big-ass quilt or comforter on your bunk!

I don't remember what I scored on my DLAB, but the recruiter, and the guy at the Boston MEPS who administered the test, both said it was the highest DLAB score they had ever seen (I also put up the highest ASVAB score that recruiter, and all his co-workers, had ever seen).

I don't know about you, but when I walked out of that DLAB test, I walked out with my chin on my chest. I thought I had bombed horrifically. Ten minutes into the test, I gave up. I only half-listened to the tape, and fired up my best guesses. It was probably because I had given up, and totally relaxed, that I scored so well.

The recruiter was waiting in the lobby for me. I apologized to him for his driving me all the way into the city, so I could do so horribly on the test. When he got the results, he asked me, "What were you, busting my chops with all that 'I did terrible' stuff?"

I kept asking, incredulously, "You mean I did GOOD?? Are you sure?"
Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

I don't remember what I scored on my DLAB, but the recruiter, and the guy at the Boston MEPS who administered the test, both said it was the highest DLAB score they had ever seen

When I took the DLAB I remeber the language being very latin like. Once I had a resonable declintion pattern and subject series the rest of the test just fell in place. Of course they were looking for people to learn russian and slavic languages at the time. [btw I never did go, but I did get the same highest grade they ever saw line and it rated fairly high on my bs scale]Those aren't too usefull in poker, Korean could be real helpfull though. Arabic and Farsi all but useless.

-slavic
Old 04-04-2005, 04:56 AM

I thought I failed the DLAB as well. They even told me I failed just to [censored] with me. =] Turns out I got a very high score (compared to most other DLI students).

I'm amazed there's other 2+2 linguists around, but I guess I shouldn't be.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it was inevitable....