Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Artest gone for year, other suspensions absurdly long

"There was no precedent for this level of punishment for similar acts."

Stern made it clear that he wanted to set an example with Artest because there was no incident that quite reached this level and because Artest has a history. (He wanted to "redefine the covenant betwen players and fans" and said "I did not strike from my mind that Ron Artest had been suspended on previous conditions for loss of self-control.")
Old 11-22-2004, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"There was no precedent for this level of punishment for similar acts."

Stern made it clear that he wanted to set an example with Artest because there was no incident that quite reached this level and because Artest has a history. (He wanted to "redefine the covenant betwen players and fans" and said "I did not strike from my mind that Ron Artest had been suspended on previous conditions for loss of self-control.")

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the reason I have a problem with the length of the suspension...Stern jacked the number of games up to set an example and Artest is unfairly punished. Redefine the covenant by giving Artest 35 games (a lot more than previous trips into the stands had received) and making it clear that the next time it happened that the punishment would double. New boundaries would be established without making one player pay an excessive price and EVERYBODY would be fairly warned for the next time.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New boundaries would be established without making one player pay an excessive price and EVERYBODY would be fairly warned for the next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were ALREADY warned. That didn't work. The players are warned at the start of EVERY YEAR. They all know going into the stands is unacceptable. Apparently, a warning for the last couple decades wasn't good enough. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sick of this garbage about Artest being a coward. If he cold cocks Wallace he's a thug. If he backs down he's a coward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't call him a coward, but I see it like this:

If he punches Wallace, then attacks a fan, he's just blown a gasket.

If he punches Wallace, and refrains from attacking fans, whom, anywhere in america, WILL be throwing beer at him when he walks down the tunnel or whatever, then he's just standing up to Wallace.

If he avoids Wallace, and avoids the fans, he's Mr Nice Guy all of a sudden.

But, if he avoids Wallace, and attacks a fan (not even the fan that threw the cup), he's a coward. This is akin to someone getting angry at high school, deciding the bully would beat his ass, and dropkicking some 1st grade kid on his way home from school. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Funny, you can tell who the Pacers fans are.. "Artest shouldn't be suspended, maybe 1 game if they're feeling harsh.. Jackson and O'Neal, maybe a three hundred, four hundred dollar fine, but lock Wallace up and throw away the key!".... amusing. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

*Note: I'm not an NBA fan, have no team bias, and think the suspensions were about right. If the next Pacers @ Pistons game is played without any fans in the arena, I think the league office will have done an incredible job with the whole situation. I doubt they'll have the nerve to do so, but you never know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
New boundaries would be established without making one player pay an excessive price and EVERYBODY would be fairly warned for the next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were ALREADY warned. That didn't work. The players are warned at the start of EVERY YEAR. They all know going into the stands is unacceptable. Apparently, a warning for the last couple decades wasn't good enough. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know this for a fact? I'm not trying to be combative, just curious if you have inside info. If they really do receive a warning I'd love to see what it says. Their latest "warning" was in the form of a 10 game suspension for the last player that went into the stands. OTH if they are told before every season "Go into the stands and you're done for the season" then Artest certainly shouldn't be surprised by the punishment. Since the PA seems surprised and has called the punishments excessive I don't think there were any warnings of that nature given.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:28 PM

The NBA collective bargaining agreement more or less outlines what the league can do to discipline players. You can argue ad infinitum about the fairness or unfairness of Artest's suspension it doesn't matter whether it was fair or not. The commissioner has the power and authority to impose the discipline he sees fit to administer within the rules of the player agreement. The bottom line is that Artest is accountable for his actions and when he goes up in the stands he's tempting fate. He made a concious choice and the potential draconian punishment that results from making that choice that the commissioner can render is well known to the players. It's part of the agreement they made in playing. I tried to explain Stern's reasoning (as I interpret Stern's comments) and you don't want to accept it fine. I support Stern you don't but Stern has the power and authority to do that and the players have a process for appealing Stern's ruling, it's a process the players including Artest have agreed to. If the players don't like the process hold out when their contract expires for something different. I guess I don't understand why all the hand wringing for Artest when the league has a clear collective bargaining agreement with the players that outlines the process for the commissioner administering discipline.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know this for a fact? I'm not trying to be combative, just curious if you have inside info. If they really do receive a warning I'd love to see what it says

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know it for a fact. It's part of what is outlined every year before the season starts. Trust me, the players know this is a big rule that you can not break. The information is out there on the internet. Not very difficult to find. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2004, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the Maxwell situation is a good comparison. One of the biggest differences is that security actually showed up when Max nutted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another big difference is that Maxwell's teammates, to the best of my knowledge, didn't go apeshit when he did go into the stands.

I can't be sure, of course, but I don't know that Artest's suspension would be as long as it is if Jackson goes up into the stands and restrains him, rather than going up there swinging and making the situation a lot worse.

-McGee
Old 11-22-2004, 07:05 PM

When Stern said, "The vote was unanimous, one to nothing," that was pretty gangster.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:24 PM

Tell you what. Get into a fight with customers at YOUR work,(Mirage?)cause a near-riot, and see if you still have a job and don't go to jail, much less only get suspended for an extended period of time.

Artest was not "assualted" by fans. An EMPTY plastic cup hit him on/around his upper chest/chin area, and he lost it. O'Neal was not "protecting" Artest. He was taking a cheap shot at a guy who was getting up from a scrum.

Get a clue, some perspective, and a reality check. The 40-80 game has warped your sensibilities.